Brutal move today by the Colts, who’ve unveiled a truly miserable new alternate uniform that’s destined to become a mainstay of future “Worst Uniform” listicles. Filled with BFBS elements — black helmet, black collar, black sleeve cuffs, black outlining on the jersey numbers — it’s the kind of move that was pathetic 20 years ago and is beyond laughable in 2023. Woof!
Here are a few dozen photos:
A few thoughts:
- The “heathered” blue fabric — an NFL first — looks ridiculous, like acid-washed denim or something that got stained in the laundering process. Fortunately, it will likely be indiscernible on TV.
- If they were determined to put the state of Indiana on their chest, why not just wear the state outline by itself? By using that “C” logo, they’re gonna have people emailing me all season long to say, “How many captains do the Colts have?!”
- Seems really odd to put an old-fashioned number font on such a newfangled uniform.
- It’s not so much that I want to see more black on this uniform, but the nose and neck bumper lettering should probably be black, not blue.
- On the plus side: I do like the stripes across the jersey shoulders. That’s about the only positive thing I have to say here.
Here’s the weirdest/dumbest part: The stupid “storytelling” name they’ve given this uniform is “Indiana Nights,” but they’re wearing it on a Sunday afternoon — Oct. 22, against the Browns.
Fortunately, this won’t be the final NFL taste in our mouths this month: The Titans will reveal their Oilers throwbacks on Sunday night, the Broncos will unveil their alternate helmet next Tuesday, we’re still waiting to see the Eagles’ Kelly green throwbacks, and the Jets appear to have something cooking. Never a dull moment!