Buckeye Babies

With Ohio State set to face off against Alabama today in one of the college football playoff games, Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center is using OSU-branded “Beat Alabama” blankets for New Year’s newborns — awwwww. Further info here.

I know at least one longtime Uni Wach reader, hockey fan Mike Engle, was born on New Year’s Day. You think he got an NHL blanket at the hospital? Anyone else celebrating a birthday today?

•  •  •  •  •

Take that, Flyers Ice Girls: The Sabres got into the New Year’s Eve spirit yesterday by dressing their ice-cleaning crew in formal attire. No word on whether they sipped champagne in between shifts.

(My thanks to Matt Larsen for the screen shot.)

• • • • •

Made in the shades: Unusual sight yesterday at Nats Park, as Capitals defenseman Karl Alzner wore sunglasses while practicing for today’s Winter Classic. The game’s start time may actually end up being pushed back due to sun concerns.

The game will feature several tributes to Blackhawks assistant equipment manager Clint Reif, who passed away on Dec. 21. Both teams will be wearing “CR” memorial decals, and the Blackhawks set up a locker in his honor.

Meanwhile, the Ace of Cakes guy will be bringing a zamboni-shaped cake to the game. But not just any zamboni — a camouflage zamboni, “to honor military service.” So 2015 isn’t even one day old yet and we already have the sports world’s first gratuitous G.I. Joe move of the year. Sigh.

(My thanks to Phil for his contributions to this section.)

•  •  •  •  •

photo 1 20-56-41

Why, I oughta”¦: Finally, there’s this: While on my way to meet my friend Carrie for a movie yesterday afternoon, I was walking through a subway station and spotted this health insurance ad that takes a cheap potshot at a certain Olympic sport of which I am quite fond. Double-sigh.

• • • • •

My best wishes to everyone for a great 2015. Enjoy the football and/or the Winter Classic, and I’ll see you back here with full content tomorrow. ”” Paul

31 comments to Buckeye Babies

• BurghFan | January 1, 2015 at 8:21 am |

Happy New Year, everybody!

• Name redacted | January 1, 2015 at 9:03 am |

Also a full slate of EPL matches today.

The Winter Claasic always brings plenty of amusing shots of folks bundled up in gear.

• Mike Engle on iPad | January 1, 2015 at 9:56 am |

Thanks for the shoutout Paul! As a New Orleans birth, it’s kind of doubtful that my birth blanket was NHL logo branded, but I can ask my mom or check pictures, LOL.
    Happy New Year to all!

• D. Kuch | January 1, 2015 at 9:59 am |

The 2014 Sportslogos.Net Readers Choice Award Best New (can a tweak of an All-Star Game logo designed in 2002 be considered new?) Secondary Logo of the Year Award goes to the NBA Creative Services for the Philadelphia 76ers Ben Franklin logo! http://t.co/ieINLwYOPJ

• The Jeff | January 1, 2015 at 10:08 am |

It’s telling me that I need to be a confirmed follower to view that page.

• Davis J | January 1, 2015 at 11:13 am |

To read it on the Twitter account that the link takes you to, you do have to be a follower of that account. But if you just go to SportsLogos.net itself, you can read it no problem.

• Phil Hecken | January 1, 2015 at 10:17 am |

Happy New Year, Uni Watchers!

• Tony C. | January 1, 2015 at 10:29 am |

Buckeye babies >>> Bengal babies

• Hank-SJ | January 1, 2015 at 11:25 am |

Winter Classic being delayed by sun glare is getting a bit old. Same thing happened in Philly where the start time was pushed back a couple of hours. This is the 21st century where probes are landed on comets moving at 30,000 mph and no one can access a computer model showing the relative position of the nearest star in the sky on an exact day and time to determine glare potential? Not like they didn’t have enough time to figure this out.

• Jim Vilk | January 1, 2015 at 11:27 am |

Best comment from the baby blanket story:
    Good news for third world newborns. They’ll be getting new blankets next week.

If the parents have the choice of opting for a plain blanket, then awwwww, indeed. If not, then booooo.

Anyway, Happy New Year, everybody.

• Paul Lukas | January 1, 2015 at 11:31 am |

Excellent point.

• Bando | January 1, 2015 at 2:41 pm |

Yet another example of why Columbus is one of the strangest places on the planet. They can’t separate anything from football, including swaddling newborn infants.

• Jim Vilk | January 1, 2015 at 10:24 pm |

They’re not the only place, though. Massillon, OH used to (maybe still does) put a little Tiger football in the newborns’ cribs. I think some Pittsburgh hospital wrapped kids up in Terrible Towels. Again, if you like that sort of thing, fine.

• Defo Maitland | January 1, 2015 at 11:38 am |

You can look at the comment about curling this way. The message is that the skeptical consumer is wrong about the first comment so let’s assume she’s also out to lunch about the second remark. Hurry hard!

• Mike Chamernik | January 1, 2015 at 7:11 pm |

Yeah, and Grizzly Adams had a beard!

• Attila Szendrodi | January 1, 2015 at 10:21 pm |

Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

• Sean Cooper | January 1, 2015 at 12:18 pm |

I will admit that I do believe curling is a sport. Curlers themselves, however, are not athletes.

• David Firestone | January 1, 2015 at 12:36 pm |

My birthday is tomorrow, does that count?

• Chris Cruz | January 2, 2015 at 2:53 pm |

Happy Birthday, David Firestone!

• Discount Dracula | January 1, 2015 at 12:41 pm |

The only reason I can offer about the camo Zamboni cake is the game is in DC, where the C-in-C resides. But yeah, it’s a bit gratuitous.

• Bromotrifluoromethane | January 1, 2015 at 3:53 pm |

As much as I hate the chrome/matte helmet trend I’m happy Baylor is wearing their chrome today because it means they aren’t wearing their (I still call it) gray face masks. They DO know they can be team colored since the chrome ones are. Change the regular one to green or gold!!!

Baylor also makes my OCD go crazy with their football team. Why does the rest of the university wear a yellow/gold and the football team wear a color closer to Vegas Gold? Even the turf and coloring a around the football stadium are the yellow/gold. Change the football team back to the yellow/gold!

• lindsayresnick | January 1, 2015 at 5:32 pm |

The color discontinuity really bothers me at Baylor and Georgia Tech, my alma mater. I could never get gear with the same colors on it, and our stadium always looks like crap because we don’t have a unified color scheme.

• Bromotrifluoromethane | January 1, 2015 at 9:48 pm |

Georgia Tech is bad too but Baylor is much worse with this. If they insist on wearing the old/Vegas gold at least paint the field & bunting to match. It’s not like they have an excuse. It’s a new stadium. Not that they need to wear a different color from the rest of the university.

• Rydell | January 1, 2015 at 4:58 pm |

It has been a busy New Years Day with taking all the Christmas decorations down.
    I snuck in a peak at the Winter Classic while on break opening a beer and thought the Blackhawks number font look great as well as the assistant captain “A”.
    As well, I noticed all the Blackhawks players wore tuques (winter hats for warmth of the head/ears) for the intro which were removed for the anthem.
    The Caps did not wear any tuque.

• ken | January 2, 2015 at 12:13 am |

The caps had them on at warm up

• P Hoelter | January 1, 2015 at 5:26 pm |

And the sound goes off as the mindless cultural stereotype chanting begins. Way to go Florida State. Your droning is to actual Native American song as the cartoon duck on an Oregon player’s sleeve is to the Florida mottled duck.

• SaveFarris | January 1, 2015 at 9:01 pm |

Any particular reason Alabama is the only CFP participant who’s wearing their playoff helmet sticker off-center?

• Bromotrifluoromethane | January 1, 2015 at 9:51 pm |

I’m torn on Ohio State. I’ve always liked the stripe pattern they’re wearing tonight better for their road whites. But I’ve come to like the stripe pattern they wear now over the old patter that would match what they wear tonight, either one works though. I just wish they went back to the thicker black stripes on the pants.

• ken | January 2, 2015 at 12:11 am |

I am a Jan 1st bday. I was born at 4:46am. Today is my 50th and I was at the winter classic.