Last Thursday’s photo of that Bengals-branded wedding garter prompted several readers to send in their own photos of team-branded garters. Let’s take a look:
• Leland Privott caught this ECU garter at a friend’s wedding:
• Todd Carroll uses a Steelers garter as part of his fantasy football league trophy:
• Ryan Frazer’s fiancÃ© was given this UNC garter at her wedding shower:
• “My wife surprised me with this Cubs garter when we got married almost two years ago,” says Benjamin Gordon. “This was pretty big for me, since she’s a White Sox fan. Knowing she would wear a Cubs garter just to make me happy made me even more glad that I had married her.” And wow, it’s a doozy:
• “My wife is a ’Noles and Yankees fan, while I am a Virginia and Braves fan,” says Jason DeHart. So they compromised and got one of each:
• No photo, but here’s a good story from Glenn Victor: “When it came time at our wedding reception to remove my wife’s garter, I was surprised to pull down a University of Michigan garter. I wasn’t happy — I’m an Ohio state fan. Then she told me to try the other leg, and there I found an Ohio State garter. I threw the Michigan one during the garter toss and kept the Buckeye one!”
I have to say, this is all new to me. I attend very few weddings (most of my friends were either already married when I met them or aren’t interested in being legally married), and the ones I have attended generally haven’t included the traditional bridal industrial complex maneuvers like the garter toss. So I’m finding all these team-branded garters to be pretty amusing. Got more of them to share? Let’s see ’em!
PermaRec update: A 100-year-old woman with an interesting past (shown at right) is the focus of the latest entry on the Permanent Record Blog.
Membership note: We produce the Uni Watch membership cards in sheets of eight. So if you’re the first one to sign up right after we finish producing a batch, you have a longer wait to get your card, until we fill out the rest of the sheet; if you sign up toward the end of a batch, you’ll get your card rather quickly. Right now, we have six orders in the current batch — you know what to do.
Uni Watch News Ticker: Judging by a series of video game leaks, this year’s MLB All-Star Game BP jerseys and caps will look like this. The jerseys are brutal, but I kinda like the caps. … New Senior Night uni for Maryland basketball. … Yesterday I Ticker-linked to photos of the Blackhawks- and Chisox-themed street sweepers that work the streets of Chicago, but I didn’t have a photo of the Cubs sweeper. Now, thanks to Jeff Downe, I do. … Good article about Indiana’s candy-striped warm-up pants. … Oh man, look at this awesome Raiders ski mask. Love it! (Great find by Jeff Flynn, Jr.) … Texas Tech football coach Kliff Kingsbury may be in for a makeover. Key passage, from a booster: “”[Under Armour] showed us … we are already the team that wears the cool brand in Texas. We can brand as the Hippest school in the game. Swagger on and off the field.” Yes, someone actually typed those words, presumably with a straight face (from Daniel J. Schneeman II). … Someone has created a database of baseball player statues. Read more about it here. … We always hear about how teams auction off their pink gear for charity, but we never hear about how much money they’ve raised. But now the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have provided some numbers — good for them (from James Ashby). … “In MLB The Show’s preview video, it shows CC Sabathia pitching in Yankee Stadium in his road uniform,” says Matt Harris. “It also has Jeter at short in gray and the scoreboard shows the Yankees listed in the ‘top’ spot, signifying the road team.” … Michael Hersh (not the same guy who recently passed away) created a subjective ranking of NBA team names, from best to worst. “I bet this would serve as a good debate topic for Uni Watch readers,” he says. Indeed — have at it! … Looks like Victor Bernardez of the San Jose Earthquakes had his shorts tucked under and hiked up for the team’s home opener. Here’s another view (from Mark Sanger). … The Minnesota Stars of the NASL have rebranded themselves as Minnesota United FC (from John McCulloch). … The Blackhawks all wore No. 81 during pregame warm-ups last night, in honor of Marian Hossa’s 1000th game (photo by Brian Parchem, who was at the game). ”¦ Ichiro has been wearing two-tone spikes. “Steinbrenner must be spinning in his grave,” says Dave Rakowski.