Many of you have heard of David Boss, who’s probably best known for his NFL paintings and for his work with NFL Properties.
But Boss was also an accomplished photographer, and now US Presswire has put nearly 700 of his photos online. The images are watermarked, but they’re still worth checking out. There are too many notable pics to show in one entry, so we’ll look at one batch today and another batch in the next week or so.
• I still call it Joe Robbie. Note that great Dolphins patch on his blazer.
• You’ll never see a prettier set of fully wrap-around shoulder stripes than these.
• We all know NFL players used to wear shin-length white crew socks over colored stirrups. But it looks like the Lions wore gray crew socks at least once.
• Speaking of NFL hosiery, look at those striped Vikings socks!
• Mention John Henry Johnson to me and one thing immediately comes to mind: his super-short facemask.
• Gee, ya think maybe Bobby Boyd needed a new helmet?
• Here’s something I’d never seen before: Bart Starr with rear-helmet uni numbers inside and outside the NFL stripe. I tried to find examples of other players with this same format but couldn’t find any close enough views.
• That last photo was of Big Daddy Lipscomb. Here’s another shot of him, this time with a rather primitive NOH (that’s name on helmet).
• Meanwhile, the Browns were handwriting their uni numbers on their helmets during that same period, apparently in Magic Marker.
• Boss also took some baseball photos. In addition to the great halo helmet, note the black armband on Fregosi’s left sleeve. But the armband isn’t shown in this shot, supposedly taken the same day. The caption dates could be wrong, but Dressed to the Nine’s listing of uniform memorials makes no mention of an Angels armband at any point during halo-hat era, so it’s not clear why Fregosi was wearing the black band. Anyone..?
That’s enough for this round. More Boss-osity coming soon. Big thanks to Michael Princip for tipping me wise to the Boss archive.
ESPN Reminder: In case you missed it yesterday, my latest ESPN column (which isn’t uni-related but is still fun) is available here.
Stirrup Club Reminder: Robert Marshall is now taking orders for the next round of Uni Watch Stirrup Club finery. Details here.
Uni Watch News Ticker: Here’s a cool time-lapse sequence of the Final Four floor being created in Milwaukee (with thanks to Jason Goede). ”¦ The U.S. Missile Defense Agency has a new logo that’s ruffling some feathers (with thanks to John Muir). ”¦ Here’s a weird one: an old Mets commercial that show Kevin Mitchell flexing in front of a bunch of NFL helmets (good spot by Jeffrey Moulden). ”¦ NOB of the year, or at least of the day, goes to UÄŸur UÃ§ar, who plays for the Turkish club Galatasaray (great screen shot by Jesse Spector). ”¦ Awesome curling sweater here. Yet another one that’s too big for me, grrrrrr. ”¦ This one‘s too big, too. ”¦ This one‘s closer, but still a little too long. Dig the great little design on the buttons! ”¦ These aren’t just any Saints — they’re the New Orleans Saints, in their charity basketball togs. “That’s Archie Manning at far left in the back row,” says Michael Martin. ”¦ Here’s a good video on the DC United’s equipment manager (with thanks to Tom Langan). ”¦ Michael Princip has taken Chuck Ren’s classic Chiefs illustration and transformed it into a Seahawks illo, plus he’s done a little write-up on the helmet. ”¦ Wade Davis of the Rays is now wearing No. 40, possibly in a move to get an endorsement (with thanks to Cork Gaines). ”¦ Oooh, let’s chip in and buy one of these old-school sock machines for Robert Marshall (big thanks to Rob Leavell). ”¦ Remember Chad Greenway and his 3-D-esque horns? Jim Lonetti picked up an old Vikings ski cap with a patch that evokes that same concept. ”¦ Nike unveiled a slew of World Cup kits yesterday (additional photos and info here and here). “Two interesting things,” says Stephen Wong. “First, the jerseys are made from a recycled plastic bottles. And England was also onstage but their jerseys are made by Umbro, which is now owned by Nike. This is leading many to speculate that Nike will soon be making England’s uniforms.” ”¦ Wayne Koehler reports that Winter Haven High in Florida wore some serious sock stripes in the Class 5A State Finals (but, sadly, lost). ”¦ Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Cubs prospect Chris Robinson is the latest catcher to wear his helmet brim facing forward under his mask. ”¦ Steven Mandich and Eliza Truitt took a day trip to check out the Olympics, where Quatchi liked their DIY pennants. Steve also got some pics of the many NHL and other pins being hawked by collectors and traders.