The Purplest Day of My Life

Click for full purple effect`

I don’t mind saying that yesterday’s Purp Walk was absolutely epic. The photo shown above — that’s the Rockies’ costumed mascot, Dinger, posing with me and reader Tim Cox at last night’s Rockies/Giants game — was one of many, many highlights. (It may also set the record for the most shades of purple ever to appear in a single photograph.)

The great Kary Klismet took a bunch of photos, which you can see here. I have plenty of photos as well, which I’ll share in a day or three as part of a full-blown Purp Walk party report..

Big thanks to everyone who came out and for all the enthusiasm and kind thoughts you expressed about Uni Watch. I wish I could have spent more time with each of you — one of the frustrating things about this type of event is that I always end up talking a little bit with everyone but not enough with anyone.

That’s it for today. Sorry, no other news, no Ticker. We’ll get back to regular content tomorrow. Thanks for understanding, and a merry post-Purp Walk to all. — Paul

35 comments to The Purplest Day of My Life

• Alex Dewitt | May 18, 2022 at 8:10 am |

PURPLE POWER, I love it. Not even Dinger’s jersey matches the retail one that Tim is wearing.

• Ron Ruelle | May 18, 2022 at 9:14 am |

I’m guessing Tim’s jersey is from the days when the Rox wore a darker shade of purple. IT shows up as almost navy blue in photos and TV, especially at night. So they lightened it a few years ago and it looks more purple in those circumstances. So Tim is rocking it old school.

• Tim Cox | May 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm |

More like rocking it “Old Camp,” Ron. The jersey I was wearing Tuesday evening was issued to me by the team for my second visit to Rockies’ Fantasy Camp in 2016. That was before the great purple standardization of a couple of years later, and as such was more of a blue shade. But, it was identical to the alternate jersey the Rox were wearing in those days, as opposed to a retail item. Oh, and the number: my selection of 42 for camp that year was a tribute to my daughter Julia, who picked 42 for her softball team that year both in honor of Jackie R. and in tribute to her old man, whose lucky number (and previous camp number) has always been 21 (half of 42 for the math-challenged out there).

• Memal | May 18, 2022 at 8:13 am |

What an epic photo! Can’t wait to hear the recap!

• DJ | May 18, 2022 at 8:29 am |

Glad to see you had a great time

• Lindsay R | May 18, 2022 at 8:30 am |

Did you decide to stick with the two different shoelaces for the event, or is that just an artifact from the image?

• Martin Hick | May 18, 2022 at 8:42 am |

I am so proud that my older brother represented in his beautiful city. He isn’t technically a Uni-Watcher, but he might be now. Judging by the stream of texts and images I was receiving last night, to say he enjoyed himself would be an understatement. Yet another indication of how special this place is ad always will be..

• Kary Klismet | May 18, 2022 at 10:26 am |

I met your brother and hung out with him for a decent chunk of the game, Marty. Super nice guy! I told him to say hi from me!

• Martin Hick | May 18, 2022 at 10:44 am |

Oh… I saw the pics. I definitely felt a part of it. I get out there every couple of years. Hopefully we can link up at some point. I’ve hung out with Uni-Watchers in Chicago, Pittsburgh, New York, and St. Louis. Would love to put Denver on the list.
        And thanks for the kind words.

• Sean R. | May 18, 2022 at 8:43 am |

It was also nice of the Rockies to oblige and wear the purple jerseys for the game. Not that it helped them break the losing streak to the Giants.

• Rob Ullman | May 18, 2022 at 8:59 am |

Man, what an epic photo. This is what it’s all about. Glad y’all had a blast.

• Greg | May 18, 2022 at 9:00 am |

Great photo. For all the toxicity around the internet and internet / social media interactions, it is really wonderful to see how Uni-Watch just helped foster a great community of folks with similar interests just looking to share their thoughts on the uni-verse.
    Just a nice little start to the day to see that photo and hear how successful the meet up was.

• Brian | May 18, 2022 at 9:00 am |

I count no less than 6 different shades of purple in that photo. Well done!!!

• Ron Ruelle | May 18, 2022 at 9:02 am |

I’m assuming the Rox wore their purple jerseys in your honor. Dinger always wears a jersey to match what they wear on the field, a nice uni touch in the mascot world.

The stirrups are peak Paul purple.

• AJ Kane | May 18, 2022 at 9:03 am |

Incredible! Love to see it!!

• Zach Atchinson | May 18, 2022 at 9:07 am |

Great meeting everyone, what a fantastic event! Thanks to everyone who made it happen!

• Ron Ruelle | May 18, 2022 at 9:17 am |

Dinger always wears the same jersey as the team on the field, a nice uni-touch.

• RICKAZ | May 18, 2022 at 9:19 am |

Looks like fun. How many were in attendance?

• Kary Klismet | May 18, 2022 at 5:13 pm |

I don’t claim to be great at estimates like this, but there were easily over 50 people at Blake Street Tavern and most of them made their way over to the game.

• Ingmar | May 18, 2022 at 9:27 am |

That photo with Dinger made me smile for 5 solid minutes. This is what Uni Watch is all about. Looks like a great day out!

• kevin | May 18, 2022 at 9:39 am |

These photos are so much more fun than I expected. This is so fun and wholesome.

• ChrisH | May 18, 2022 at 9:40 am |

Nice!
    Seeing so many Uni Watchers ‘pre-gaming’ and then having such fun at the ballpark in all that purple makes me a bit green with envy.
    Can’t wait to read all about it!

• Jim Howicz | May 18, 2022 at 9:49 am |

I don’t mind purple. After seeing the amount of purple in that picture, I think we have had enough purple for the year.

• Jonathan Deery | May 18, 2022 at 10:04 am |

I, like many others, can’t help but have a smile on my face after looking at that picture. Looks like it was a blast and can’t wait for the write up. I definitely need to get to one of these meet ups again soon!

• Mike M | May 18, 2022 at 10:17 am |

Paul, you share a great life all around! No need to get one!

• Anthony Verna | May 18, 2022 at 10:27 am |

I didn’t realize Dinger had rainbow sprinkles in its hair.

• Perry | May 18, 2022 at 12:16 pm |

Probably Dippin’ Dots.

• Scott Schlaufman | May 18, 2022 at 10:53 am |

It was a great night! We’ve got an awesome comm-uni-ty here!

I think the Denver Uni-Watchers need to make the Purp Walk gathering an annual tradition now. Every May 17, we’ll hang out at the Blake Street Tavern in our purple!

• William in KY | May 18, 2022 at 11:24 am |

It was a pleasure meeting you and others last night, Paul. Maeve, Madison, and I came late and left early (that’s the life of parents of a one-year-old) but enjoyed the party and happy atmosphere!

• John H. | May 18, 2022 at 11:33 am |

Paul, based on those devilishly handsome photos, I believe you have found your colour!

• Brandon | May 18, 2022 at 12:26 pm |

Three shades of purple on the mile high chairs!

• RobYaz | May 18, 2022 at 2:14 pm |

Awesome! Glad to see you went the extra mile (mile high or mile long?) with the purple! Yesterday truly was Purple Day. Two of my coworkers wore purple, including one who wore a purple dress, purple top, and carried a purple bag. Purple magic was in the air for sure!

• Tim Shriver | May 19, 2022 at 3:04 am |

I work at Wrigley Field and get this: In the bleachers last night, there was a LARGE contingent of fans from, or associated with, Northwestern University. So 1500 miles away from the sanctioned event I couldn’t help but smile at the amount of purple that I personally saw on the day!

• Rpm | May 19, 2022 at 10:18 am |

Does this mean no board ads for the coyotes? Awesome!

I’ve never understood “a” or small “A”. If it follows the form of the rest of the NOB, it should be a regular size “A” with a space. This goes for all similar names, like Mc, Mac, etc.