By Phil Hecken
As we’ve said on Uni Watch many times before — the shiny things are designed to attract seventeen year old recruits. Yesterday, Michigan State broke out a new helmet for the Bunyan Trophy game against Michigan…and lost, 12-10, on a last second field goal — returning Bunyan to Ann Arbor. But, in the battle of the headwear, Sparty was the
clear sparkly winner.
I didn’t get to watch the game, but I did look at a lot of highlights, so unless you were seeing the helmet up close — you couldn’t really tell it was any different from their normal lids. Not too bad, all things considered. Some additional stills are below:
I figured this new topper had to be one of those “HydroGraphics” jobs — and I was right. They’re the company that does the Ducks helmets, and they were also responsible for the TCU Purple HydroChrome ® Frogskin Helmet which debuted October 6th against Iowa State. The kids must love it.
But Michigan State weren’t the only ones debuting new lids yesterday.
OSU (the Oklahoma variety) went with a new orange “Pistol Pete” dome. It wasn’t quite as good as this circa 1967 beauty, but still it was good — and it was much better than this rumored Pistol Pete helmet. And I’m pretty certain this is the first time the Cowboys have worn something besides “OSU” on their helmets since that 1967-68 logo. You can get a better look at that helmet in this short video clip:
Not to be left out of the new lid parade, Northwestern broke out their own new flat black helmet for their own ‘NU/NU’ game. They may not be “BFBS” but this was really relegating their purple NW stripe to almost invisibility…and the purple to relative obscurity. That may not be such a bad thing.
That will do it for my intro into yesterday’s new bucket extravaganza — I now turn the rest of this over to our SMUW guru, Terry Duroncelet, as he takes you though the…
Sunday Morning Uni Watch
By Terry Duroncelet
Lotta teams wearing black in week 8. One at a time:
• Arizona State not only went with a blackout on national T.V. on Thursday night against Oregon, but they also changed the fork?/trident? on their helmets to black (it was yellow last year) and painted the logo at midfield black as well (no photo for that one). Also, — and this is hard to see — they had their Twitter handle “@thesundevils” with the hashtag “#fearthefork” in the endzones. Plus, this gentleman actually knows what Oregon’s colors are.
• I don’t normally report FCS stuff, but I caught a quick glimpse of the Hampton/NC Central game, and saw that #3 not only had a tear in the ‘O’ of his jersey, but his T.V. numbers were oddly more forward than normal. Was somewhat like that for the other players, but nowhere near as extreme as his. Probably one of those things where there’s a “ghost” number (space where the first number should go for double-digit numerals). I think this was mentioned on Uni Watch before a looooonnnnnng time ago.
• It’s rare that you see Purdue in mono-white. It’s even more rare to see the college Saints and tOSU go into overtime for two straight years. But back to the mono-white. I like. I especially loved the footwear worn in that game: black cleats (not that black and white mess *side note: I’m kinda glad I missed that WYO/AFA game last week*) with white socks. Yes! That’s the way it should be done (for most teams, at least). Also in that same game, this was a thing. Yeah.
• Well, we can’t complain that Oklahoma State doesn’t wear enough orange anymore (check out the perfect footwear). Like really. I’m normally not that big on white facemasks, but it seems to work here (also note #7’s pink laces). Here’s another close-up of the helmet. Also, while I was looking for game photos of said uniform/helmet, Miss Rarity showed up in my search. I did not plan this. I wasn’t even going to make a single pony plug-in this week.
• Temple wore mono-black against Rutgers. I would’ve tolerated this slightly more if they paired the black tops with the cherry pants that they wore against UConn earlier this season (which I think I forgot to cover when they debuted).
• This! Is! SHINY!!! That’s Michigan State, who came out with these new HydroChrome helmets from HGI against Michigan. I know I shouldn’t like this, I know that the greens don’t match, and I know that it looks like a Christmas ornament, but dammit, that’s a nice lid.
• In the game between NU and NU, Northwestern wore all-black on Saturday against Nebraska. We already figured that. What we didn’t figure was that they would have new helmets to go with the black uni. Nice. Here’s a closer look at said helmet.
• Boise State wore an entirely-black uniform, from head-to-toe on Saturday against UNLV. I was seriously thinking about writing a chilling novel about how this shouldn’t be a thing, but decided against it when I woke up Saturday morning. I’m sure the readership has plenty to say, both positive and negative about the uniforms, whether it be about how the helmet looked, or how the numbers fared (that’s really the only thing that I actually like about it. It reminds me of a sky), and Phil has already provided great coverage of said uniforms. Plus, considering the woes and malfunctions that come from a combination of blue, orange, and black (for black’s sake) in sports, Boise State should consider themselves lucky that they came out on top 32-7 unscathed. At least the numbers were readable. Sorta.
• Nothing uni-notable on the field between Penn State and Iowa, but off it? Ahem. (thanks to Phil for sending me that)
• Remember when Duke tried to split the difference between blue and black earlier in the season? They did it again against North Carolina, just inverting the colors from blue/black/blue to black/blue/black.
• Southern Miss. wore their throwback uniforms against Marshall, with the latter wearing mono-green in that same game.
Thanks, TJ! Top-notch job as always — sorry for stealing a bit of your thunder with that lede, but great job! Readers? What say you about the stuff that passed for uniforms yesterday?
“Benchies” first appeared at U-W in 2008, and has been a Saturday & Sunday feature here for the past two years.
How ’bout one from the (Sorta) Wayback Machine…
Click to enlarge
We have another new set of tweaks, er…concepts today. After discussion with a number of readers, it’s probably more apropos to call most of the reader submissions “concepts” rather than tweaks. So that’s that.
So if you’ve concept for any sport, or just a tweak or wholesale revision, send them my way.
Please do try to keep your descriptions to ~50 words (give or take) per image — if you have three uniform concepts in one image, then obviously, you can go a little over, but no novels, OK? OK!. You guys have usually been good with keeping the descriptions pretty short, and I thank you for that.
Like the colorizations, I’m going to run these as inline pics — click on each one to enlarge.
And so, lets begin:
First up is Jim Vilk, who still likes to swim upstream when it comes to Astros concepts for 2013 (this one is already full-size)
A simple concept for the Astros: take the 80s unis and top them with the 70s caps.
Next up is Tate Brown with a new Texans, um…
I think this uni concept would be a pretty cool look for the Texans”¦maybe Nike would actually do it…
We close today with John Mitchell, who has a new logo/number font for the Chisox…
My white sox uniform concept
And that’s it for today. Back with more next time.
Catherine Ryan’s 5 & 1
The five and one has been a staple of Uni Watch for three years, usually ably administered by Jim Vilk. But he got old and tired, so we needed someone young and fresh. And we’ve found that someone in this year’s new 5 & 1 decider…Catherine Ryan.
Some interesting games for sure today, with several teams going with new looks — will any of them catch Catherine’s fantasy? Do your 5 & 1 choices match up? I know what I’d pick, but like Mr. Vilk’s selections, they probably won’t match up — and that’s fine, because it’s all opinion anyway. So…let’s see what’s on tap for today’s 5 & 1:
Happy Sunday, UniWatchers! It was a busy weekend around college football as teams were going out of their way to secure my +1 position. Let’s start with the more enjoyable games!
5. Colorado vs. USC: I chose this game because I had a bit of a revelation. I am usually opposed to black pants. I think they look like tights and I just never think they look good. However, I realized I tend to enjoy them more when they aren’t also paired with a black helmet. Look at these Buffs! That picture also sums up the game nicely. Oh, and Matt Barkley broke a couple of records.
4. Middle Tennessee State vs. Mississippi State: I really liked this game. It wasn’t a major match-up in the slightest but I thought it was a great game to watch. Middle Tennessee’s pants look like pants my little sister used to wear for dance recitals but I can look past that.
And the bad one…
And an Honorable Mention +1:
Boston College vs. Georgia Tech: The colors were all off in this one.
Maryland: This uniform is too busy for me but, in reality, is one of their more least offensive sets.
There was plenty more to comment on, most notably the 95 teams that wore chrome helmets. I’ll leave that discussion for the comments. Let me know what you all think! Enjoy your Sunday!
Thanks Catherine! Um…yeah. OK, we’ll just agree to disagree, especially what makes a good BFBS uni ;). Readers? How about you?
And that’s going to do it for this fine Sunday. Thanks, of course, to Terry, Catherine and Ricko. Enjoy the pro games today, and don’t forget, there’s a playoff game tonight in the City by the Bay. Have a great day everyone, and I will see you next weekend.
“Wow, can we nominate that Oregon-Ohio State coin toss pic for tomorrow’s 5&1, preferably in the number 1 spot?! So much color, it makes me weep.”
–Patrick in MI.