Tired of seeing annoying ads (like this one!) on Uni Watch? There’s a simple solution: Join Uni Watch Plus. You’ll get an ad-free site experience, plus exclusive access to our UW+ discussion forums, push notifications whenever a new blog post has been published, a special UW+ badge accompanying all your comments on the blog, and a 20% discount on our Teespring merchandise.
A very good Sunday morning, everyone. I hope everyone had a pleasant Saturday.
We had a really good looking game yesterday evening in Los Angeles, between Colorado and UCLA, with the Bruins playing in their Homecoming game. In celebration, the team wore throwbacks to 1954, part of the calendar year in which they appeared in the Rose Bowl but lost to Michigan State. In the 1954 season which followed, the Bruins went undefeated, but were prohibited from playing in the Rose Bowl. As a result, UCLA split the National Championship with Ohio State, the 1955 Rose Bowl victors.
The uniforms were about a good a throwback as one can expect given modern technology and tailoring, consisting of a simple, plain gold helmet, light blue jerseys, and tanish-gold pants.
Given today’s styling, several of the players wore their pants bicycle-short length, but at least all undershirts were the same light blue as the jerseys, so even those who went “untucked” still looked pretty good.
• Oklahoma State/Cincinnati: Oklahoma State uses orange, black, and white for their colors. Today they woke up and said “Yes.” to all of them. The helmet is something else, I’d love to see it more (you GOTTA peep a closer look at this one).
And with that, October 2023 is in the books! As we head into cooler weather (well, at least in the 6 States in the United States where they actually still have a proper 4 seasons), the stakes heat up as we approach the later weeks, Rivalry Week, Championship Week, etc. Hope you guys enjoyed me indulging myself on October’s… WACKINESS. It’s back to business for Week 10, so until then, have a happy (and safe) Halloween, and I’ll see you next week.
• • • • •
Thanks TJ. Stellar job as always! And now, for the rest of your SMUW…
Canadian University Uni Watch
Returning for 2023 is Canadian University Uni Watcher Wade Heidt, who will bring us some looks at three-down, 110-yard Canadian university football from up north. That’s Wade to the right side of your screen (you can even click to enlarge). The shirt Wade is wearing was created by the one and only Wafflebored! Wade’s rundown will appear every week on SMUW until the season ends.
• • • • •
Canadian University Uni Watch by Wade Heidt
It’s about that time. Time for some university football uniform watching Canadian rules style! It’s time for the CUUW!
There were important moments on the Canadian gridiron this weekend. We had playoff games in Ontario. It was the closure of the regular seasons in the other three conferences with places in the standings at stake. Remember last week I had promised a good chance we may have some snow games? Well, nothing significant but it is frigid and there is snow flying in the Prairies.
Let’s get a sampling of what the schools wore this weekend. As your are aware, the official travel direction of the CUUW is east to west across the country.
• We start in the Atlantic conference (AUS). Nothing too dramatic aesthetically. The Saint Mary’s Huskies wore their white/maroon/maroon combo at home in Halifax. The visiting St. Francis Xavier X-Men went white over white. The St. FX win means an undefeated season for the Atlantic powerhouse.
• We move over to the Quebec conference (RSEQ). The Montreal Carabins wore their white/black/white combo at home. Strange to see no blue jersey at home for Montreal the last couple of games. The crosstown rival Concordia Stingers went with white over yellow. The Carabins could not close out the undefeated regular season. An upset win here by the Stingers.
How about some playoff football? Let’s travel to Ontario for a couple of OUA Quarterfinal games.
• No question about what the Queen’s Gaels will wear at home in Kingston. Of course, it was the only uniform they have. The iconic mono-yellow sported on Saturday by the Tricolour. The visiting Ottawa Gee-Gees brought their traditional silver helmet. We have seen the garnet helmet a lot this year and I prefer the silver one. It was worn with a white over white combo. Queen’s with the win and moves on to the OUA Semifinals.
• The Laurier Golden Hawks went complete mono-purple at home in Waterloo. The visitors did not have to travel far for this road game. The Waterloo Warriors wore their yellow over black combo on the road. Yet another colour vs. colour game this week in U Sports football. This game looked great! It was obvious in this one who are the contenders and the pretenders for the Vanier Cup national championship.
Let’s check out a couple of cold weather games on the Canadian Prairies in the Canada West conference.
• The snow was falling in Regina. The Regina Rams wore their green over white combo. It may be the best home combo though the green jersey looks good with the gold pants too. The visiting Saskatchewan Huskies brought their white pants from up the highway in Saskatoon. The white over white combo worn for the Huskies.
• Edmonton has some white stuff on the ground too. This one an important battle for first place in Canada West. The Alberta Golden Bears did not surprise us with an unusual uniform combo as they have been doing. It was a signature home look featuring the yellow/green/yellow combo. The visiting UBC Thunderbirds wore white over white. The cold weather and snow did not faze the boys from the West Coast. The UBC Thunderbirds clinched first place in Canada West for the first time since 1999.
That is it for this week. Exciting times! Next weekend will feature the semifinals for each of the four conferences. The battle to capture the glory of a Vanier Cup win continues.
• • • • •
SNOW! (well, sorta…) Thanks Wade — great coverage as always!
Five and One
Jimmer Vilk’s 5 & 1
Welcome to the Five and One for 2023!
Once again, Jim “Jimmer” Vilk (the original “5 & 1” decider) has returned.
The original concept of the 5 & 1 was simple: Jim picked five good matchups and one awful matchup. He’s still calling the project “5 & 1” but with a new twist.
You may agree and you may disagree — these are, after all, just opinions and everyone has one. Feel free to let him know what you think in the comments section.
If you have a game you feel is “worthy” of consideration for the 5 & 1, please either post it in the comments below or tweet Mr. Vilk @JVfromOhio.
Here’s today’s 5 & 1:
• • • • •
Not List-worthy, but I kind of liked Jax State vs. the FIU PanthersSunblazers in the Irony Bowl. And I really liked the yellow yard numbers on that throwback field!
Now let’s get to the games that are List-worthy, beginning with…
5. The “This Game Would Have Been Ranked Higher If Someone Wore TV Numbers” Matchup:
…or if BYU wore royal blue.
4. The “Red Pants Jerseys Alert” Game:
Just like the NFL’s Texans, I love it when the Wildcats bust out the red tops.
3. The “Lots Of White Can Be Alright…At Night” Matchup:
North Carolina/Georgia Tech
As long as it’s not snowing (sorry, Air Force/Colorado State).
2. The “Small TV Numbers Are Better Than No TV Numbers” Game:
A classic matchup on a cloudy day in Happy Valley makes me very happy.
1. Simply The Best:
I’ll take lots of yellow/gold over lots of white any day.
&1. The “That’s So MACtion” Matchup:
I’ve been wanting to ding Buffalo or Eastern Michigan (and deservedly so), but this stealthy mess will do for now.
See you next month!
• • • • •
Thanks, Jim! OK readers? What say you? Agree or disagree with Jimmer’s selections? Let him know in the comments below.
Power Five Uni Tracking
Uni Watch will again track the uniform combinations worn by college football conferences. New this year is Zachary Wooldridge, who is tracking the SEC. And joining the SMUW crew to track the Big XII is Matt Tomelleri, so we again have all Power Five conferences tracked this season.
Long-time trackers Rex Henry (tracking the ACC and the B1G this year), and Dennis Bolt (tracking the PAC-12) are returning for another season. Following the tracking, Dennis again returns with his Duck Tracking (which is the longest continuously-running feature on SMUW!).
Welcome to the 2023 Oregon Ducks Uni Tracker. This little project was originally begun way back in 2008-09 by Michael Princip, who retired after several seasons, whereupon the project was continued by Tim E. O’Brien. He, too, retired from the tracking, but the project has been ably kept up by the man who also tracks the Pac12, Dennis Bolt.
Longtime readers know our longtime MLB Playoff jersey tracker Alex Rocklein has been covering all the jerseys worn by each and every Major League Baseball playoff team/game for the past several seasons, and I’m pleased to announce Alex is again returning for the 2023 MLB Playoffs. With the expansion of the Wild Card (to six teams — three in each league) in 2022, his graphics have gotten more complicated, but they’re still great.
This one could got the distance folks: last night, the Arizona Diamondbacks, switching to gray tops after their walk-off loss on Friday, evened the series at 1-1. Unlike Friday, this one was pretty much a laugher as the D-bax won 9-1. The Series shifts to Arizona on Monday night.
Here’s where we stand:
• • • • •
Thanks Alex! Great job so far this Post Season. We’ll have Alex’s (possible) final tracker — unless the World Series does indeed go all seven games — next Saturday.
Guess the Game from the Uniform
Based on the suggestion of long-time reader/contributor Jimmy Corcoran, we’ve introduced a new “game” on Uni Watch, which is similar to the popular “Guess the Game from the Scoreboard” (GTGFTS), only this one asked readers to identify the game based on the uniforms worn by teams.
Like GTGFTS, readers will be asked to guess the date, location and final score of the game from the clues provided in the photo. Sometimes the game should be somewhat easy to ascertain, while in other instances, it might be quite difficult. There will usually be a visual clue (something odd or unique to one or both of the uniforms) that will make a positive identification of one and only one game possible. Other times, there may be something significant about the game in question, like the last time a particular uniform was ever worn (one of Jimmy’s original suggestions). It’s up to YOU to figure out the game and date.
Today’s GTGFTU comes from Chris Hickey.
Good luck and please post your guess/answer in the comments below.
…that’s a wrap for today! Big thanks, as always, to the entire SMUW crew: TJ, Wade, Jimmer, Rex, Dennis, Zach and Matt! Y’all rock.
Everyone enjoy the Seahawks and Oilers throwbacks today, and the Heritage Classic as well. As of 1:30 am, the GUD still shows the Falcons/Oilers as color-vs-color (I can’t imagine they’ll play it that way…); too bad the Browns are going with Brown pants today against the Seahawks. And the Pats will be back in navy over gray pants again! Enjoy those games, because tomorrow night we get this. I *get* that the Lions want to debut their new blue helmet for a national TV audience, but could they have picked a worse team to debut it against? At least they’re not going full mono-silver.
A Happy (Early) Hallowe’en to all! Catch you next Saturday.