With 2023 almost upon us, reader Marc Mayntz has created this infographic showing the current or most recent No. 23 to appear in a game for all 153 MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLS teams. They’re arranged alphabetically by player surname. (Note that the surname is not necessarily the same as the NOB — Darwin Quintero of the Houston Dynamo, for example, wears “Darwin Jr” as his NOB, but he’s alphabetized here based on “Quintero,” not based on “Darwin Jr.”)
A few additional notes from Marc:
- Inter Miami and St. Louis SC have never had a No. 23 on their roster, so I substituted the city name. I reached out to Inter to ask if their lack of a No. 23 was in deference to David Beckham but received no reply.
- For each team, I tried to pick a jersey that is historically accurate and makes the jersey distinct from the others. This is really difficult for MLS teams, since the league uses a single template for its kits.
- I used white jerseys for retired (or soon to be retired) No. 23s.
- Don Mattingly and Frank Ramsey are the only historically accurate NNOBs.
- The template I used has room for 154 squares, so the last square is the roof livery of Bubba Wallace’s No. 23 car from his win at Talladega in 2021.
A few housekeeping items: I neglected to mention two days ago that Bob Kelly won the Substack subscription raffle. Congrats to him, and thanks again to Matt Grey for sponsoring that one.
Speaking of raffles, I’m happy to report that all of the year-end raffle items mailed out yesterday. So if you were one of this year’s winners, watch your mailbox.
I’ll have the Ticker later this morning, and that’ll be a wrap for me for 2022. Phil will have lots of bowl game coverage this weekend, and then I’ll see you back here after the calendar has turned. I wish everyone in the Uni Watch comm-uni-ty a safe and happy New Year, and I look forward to more good things in 2023. Peace. — Paul