By Phil Hecken
Week 8 in the NCAA saw a few alternates and costumes, including the above uniform, which Cincinnati wore for their homecoming. While the concept is at least interesting (the ‘geometric’ elements are “a nod to the iconic triangular architecture of the Richard E. Linder Athletic Center that the stadium overlooks” — it’s all explained here). It’s one of Under Armour’s latest attempts to tell a story through the uniform. I’d bash UA here, but adidas and Nike do this shit too. It’s really time to stop this sort of uniform “design” and just stick to basics. But you know what — this is the sort of thing that (probably) moves merchandise but even more importantly, it gets people talking about the uniform.
And no matter whether the uniform is good (rarely) or bad (frequently), it seems that with NCAA football uniform design, there is “no such thing as bad publicity” to borrow a clichÃ©. I’ll give UA a bit of a pass this time around because of their wonderful throwbacks for Maryland (that should be their only, full-time, home uniform for forever).
But the Bearcats themed uni wasn’t even the worst alternate uniform this weekend. Not by a LONG shot. No, those dual honors go to both UCLA, who played on Thursday and who wore this:
BFBS garbage — not only does it sport the classic adidas treadmarks, it also has the *broken* numbers and design elements. Last weekend I bemoaned the classic Ohio State Buckeyes going BFBS, but UCLA has gone down this route before. This is just the newest installation. It needs to stop. adidas has already ruined the classic UCLA uniform — now they’re putting it in the gutter and pissing on it.
Tied for worst uniform of the weekend was this POS from adidas for Nebraska:
The same critiques I just leveled at adidas for their treatment of the Bruins applies here as well. BFBS, broken numbers/elements. Horrible.
Somehow Nike managed to escape scorn this weekend, but maybe that’s because Oregon wasn’t playing (and I’ll give Illinois a pass because they wore their “Galloping [GFGS] Ghost” unis last year — but those are awful too). Oh well, there’s always next weekend — which happens to be Hallowe’en — so I’m sure there will be a few ghastly getups awaiting us. And I’m sure Terry will have plenty to say about his week’s costumes. But, till then…here’s my right hand man, TJ Duroncelet with your…
Sunday Morning Uni Watch
By Terry Duroncelet
As you may be aware, this past Wednesday (October 21st, 2015) was Back to the Future Day. I think some D-1A teams stole the Delorean and traveled a week into the future, because NOBODY SEEMS TO HAVE THE PATIENCE TO WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK TO WEAR THEIR “special” UNIFORMS. Unless they all have bye-weeks.
• James Summers for East Carolina wore what I’m assuming is a vampire teeth mouthguard against Temple.
• deughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… I know it seems that I’m turning this into the UCLA show, but when they pull stunts like this, I’m borderline forced to talk about it. They’re longstanding identity seems to be going the way of Konami, in that an age-old history of greatness is eroding away by every hair-brained move imaginable, one day at a time… but without the mistreatment of employees, blatant disregard for starving franchises, and a rather aberrant hard-on for pachinko machines. In sum: UCLA has seriously lost their way in the uniform department, and I’ll continue to say this until I’m Bruin Blue in the face: SWITCH TO NIKE ALREADY.
• James Madison University got some College Gameday love on Saturday, but the initial helmet was the previous purple letter version, and not the gold lettered version that they currently wear. But wait! There’s more! When the time came for JMU to shine, they brought out another different helmet. I’m a sucker for big, skinny, serif block letters on the helmet. It’s kind of the helmet version of a drum kit finished in black oyster. It’s been done a million times, but you can never go wrong with it. Oh, and the article talks about Adidas and black or whatever.
• â™« Hello darkness, our old friend… we’ve come to look like shit again… â™« Good grief, Nebraska. And how appropriate is it that we see a damaged ‘N’? Credit to Andrew Greenblatt (@DatGreenblatt) for that last pic.
• Josh Claywell (@josh_claywell) caught the SEC Network blitzed on a little too much moonshine. I think it was 4th and -4 after that play.
• Ripped decals are pretty common, but it’s interesting to see one ripped after only the first drive of the game. That’s Jonathan Gray. Credit to Zach Mayer (@ZachJMayer) for the pic.
• LSU wore their purple jerseys against Western Kentucky, which brings the tally up to three times they’ve made an appearance this season, which is quite often under the current uniform practices that LSU employs.
• Cincinnati wore those very awesome “Stadium Suits” in honor of the recently-renovated Nippert Stadium, which turns 100 this year.
• Georgia Tech wore their honeycomb helmets against Florida State.
• Mississippi State wore mono-black against Kentucky.
• Curtis Galvin notes that USC looks to have DIY’d some holders for those giant play cards you see around. Unless there’s a company that actually makes these.
Week 8 is now officially in the books. What will next week bring? Maximum fright? Maximum pink? Both? Who knows? See you all next week.
Thanks, TJ! Ok, now on to the rest of today’s SMUW.
NCAA Uni Tracking
Back again today with our new feature: NCAA Uniform Tracking.
Once again, I’m pleased to welcome our 4 NCAA trackers, tallying the uniforms worn by the Power 5 conferences.
We’ve got Rex Henry (tracking the ACC & SEC), Dennis Bolt (tracking the PAC-12), Kyle Acker (tracking the Big XII) and Joey Artigue (tracking the B1G).
We’ll start with Joey & the B1G today:
Joey will be establishing a separate website for B1G tracking, but for now, you can follow him on Twitter.
Rex is up next today:
And now, here’s Dennis with the PAC-12:
Here is your link to the 2015-16 Duck Tracker.
And finally, here is Kyle with the Big XII:
And that’s all for today — thanks Joey, Rex, Dennis and Kyle!
Joe Ringham’s 5 & 1
We’re on to week 8 in the NCAA, and we had a bunch of good (and bad) games to choose from for our new 5 & 1 decider Joe Ringham. I know I’ll probably disagree with a good number of these picks, but Joe’s got his own style and well…
Good Sunday, everyone! Let’s cut right to the chase and get to the list…
5) Wagner at BYU — Color vs. color in Provo gets this one on the list, because I count gray as a color. Really like how the green/gray/black of the Seahawks matched up with the Cougars’ white/navy/white.
3) Houston at Central Florida — A game that I originally wasn’t going to put on the list, but it grew on me throughout the day. The Cougars’ red/white/red really looked great against UCF’s white/black/white. A sharp looking game in the AAC.
Just missing the list: Penn State vs Maryland
And, finally (and these choices were way too easy for me this week)…
+1) Northwestern at Nebraska – Just like Ohio State last week, these look just atrocious. You have one of the best looking home unis in all of college football, Nebraska. Why must you do this to us?
++1) SMU at South Florida – Pink looks terrible paired with green. Case in point: USF this week.
Enjoy the week, and we’ll do this again next Sunday.
Thanks, Joe! Remember, the tip-line email (UW5and1@gmail.com) is back for any games you want Joe take a look at. Pictures of the game/games you want are very much suggested.
DESIGN CONTEST LAST REMINDER!
Two weekends ago, in combination with Uni Watcher Daniel Secord, I announced a new design contest — one that really is probably the craziest design contests ever — an ambulance. It’s actually pretty simple (although the execution may be tricky), and there are prizes!
If you missed it, please read the entry here for all the rules, downloads, graphics, deadlines, etc.
I’ve only received FIVE total entries so far (and one goof — thanks Goblin) — a ridiculously low number — so it’s time for you designers to step it up! I know you can do this one some justice (and there are prizes!). There is still a few days until the deadline (October 29th), so you’ve got a couple days left.
Hope we can get our designers (and non-designers alike) to really give this one a shot.
Uni Watch News Ticker:
Baseball News: Los Angeles Angels of Los Angeles player Mike Trout wrote an article in The Players Tribune and among other things, he talked about his cleats. Interesting bit: “I used to get one pair of cleats every season. Now I swap them out every couple weeks. (Unless I’ve got some hits in them. Then they stay. Same with the bat, gloves, and anything else. And if I’m in a slump, it all goes. Like a lot of players, I’m a little superstitious.)” Thanks to Mike Chamernik for the tip. … Apparently, shirts done up in current team fonts are a thing now (from Jesse Alkire). … A contingent of Amazin’ Mets were on Jimmy Kimmel the other night (after they’d clinched the NL Pennant) but were still wearing patches that said “Postseason” (they’ll say “World Series” come Tuesday). Good spot by Terence Kearns. … Speaking of the Mets, I saw a stat yesterday that expected Game 1 starter Matt Harvey has worn the blue road alternate for every one of his road starts this season, so we can likely expect the Mets to be in their alternates for the first game of the World Series. Dammit.
NFL/CFL News: Meet the seamstress: Penny Bryce has sewed patches and names on Vikings jerseys since 1969. … “Chris Rainey has never been the most law abiding player,” writes Wade Heidt. “Wore orange socks on Friday night while his other teammates work the usual black socks. The Lions do not wear orange socks.” [Maybe they should — it looks better — PH] … Looks like the Patriots have their GI Jokevember gear for sale (h/t Jordan Mayblum). … Former Bills player Jeff Nixon’s blog post from last night touches on good luck charms and uniforms. Submitter Aaron Husul found this quote interesting: “In my case, I had to have everything on my uniform just right. Socks at a certain height; Wrist bands with the Bills logo up; Belt at the same numbered hole; Chin strap perfectly centered. My uniform was ‘fung shui’ all the way.” [Sounds more like OCD than feng shui to me — PH]
College/High School/Other Football News: “Look at this mess,” says Timmy The Cop. “Pinktober mixed with the Seahawks mixed with the Ducks mixed with — yuk. This was in Clinton Maryland last week. The Clinton Jets Vs. that abomination.” … Reader Joseph Bailey asks, “Do you think the show segment producer/director says to the talent, ‘okay guys, for this segment we need for you to all roll up your sleeves.’?” … For the second straight home game, Cincinnati’s Walnut Hills High School went Pinktober for their homecoming game against Milford High School (from Brian Henke).
Hockey News: Yesterday the Boston Bruins unveiled their Winter Classic sweaters, and they’re pretty damn sweet. More info here. … The Elmira Jackals did the Pink-in-the-Rink thing on Friday night. … “In (Friday) night’s Oilers/Capitals game, they Pinktobered the board advertisements around the rink (well, closer to Laventobered, but you get the gist),” says Graham Bakay. “The league ad at the goal line had their Hockey Fights Cancer logo. Anyway, it looked like garbage, like there was something wrong with my TV.” … Penn State Hockey will be honoring Connor Darcey with helmet decals (Darcey tragically passed away at the age of 21, was a talented lax goalie for the Nittany Lions). … PUCK BUCKET!: “I’m sure this is no big deal to actual mainstream hockey fans, but while working at the scorer’s table for some Ivy League scrimmages, I thought this official cooler of game pucks was an interesting item for game management,” says Joel Mathwig. … Here’s some information on the NJ Devils logo: Timothy Burke says he designs on this page state they are not official marks, but the design shows up pretty clearly on some images tweeted out by Devils staffers. He adds, “the Devils filed for a new character mark earlier this month.” … More Laventober for the Flyers (via Thom D.). … The Hill Valley Icemen had a Back To The Future sweater last evening (via Kaleb Carter). … Interesting observation from Mike Engle who writes, “So the Flyers have their ‘hockey fights cancer’ day, which means purple warmup jerseys. This isn’t about that though. Here’s a Vine of a Steve Mason save, from NHL’s official Twitter account. Doesn’t it look like his pads are accented with some NFL-style magenta-ish pink? Except here’s a picture from the same game, which I ripped from NHL.com, and it’s clearly orange where I’d expect it, ie where I thought it was pink from the Vine. Social media shenanigans? Maybe?”
Grab Bag: Check out this lacrosse glove customization: using sneaker paint to spruce up sporting good in a really cool way. 100% custom, all hand painted by Kacy Small (from Connor Wilson). Also from Connor: Red Devil Lacrosse in NC also has a pretty solid scary logo! … Check out this Coke deliveryman’s uniform, which the notation lists as circa 1925, “which sounds about right, if maybe a little too recent, given its cadet collar and cut. The chain stitch embroidery is great, and I wish it showed up a little better,” adds Don Gray. … Here is a
look peek at the new Cincinnati Bearcats basketball arena’s new floor (h/t Doug Smith).
And that’s all for this week. Thanks to TJ, Joe, Rex, Dennis, Joey, and Kyle, and all who submitted for the ticker. You guys have a great week — it’s going to be a very, royal one…and I’ll catch you guys on Hallowe’en. Enjoy the World Series — LETS. GO. METS. And PL, I like my
KC NY Strip medium.
Follow me on Twitter @PhilHecken.
“Those Nebraska uniforms were just repurposed Ohio State uniforms from last week, right?”