Tired of seeing annoying ads (like this one!) on Uni Watch? There’s a simple solution: Join Uni Watch Plus. You’ll get an ad-free site experience, plus exclusive access to our UW+ discussion forums, push notifications whenever a new blog post has been published, a special UW+ badge accompanying all your comments on the blog, and a 20% discount on our Teespring merchandise.
Good Sunday morning Uni Watchers. It’s time for your Sunday Morning Uni Watch. We’re already up to Week 11, which means the Conference Championships and Bowls are just around the corner. Time for the contenders for the CFP to separate from the pretenders. Pretty much everyone held serve yesterday, so don’t look for much change atop the CFP standings come Tuesday.
After a relatively quiet couple of weeks on the college football costume front, we had a bunch of different looks yesterday, including venerable THE #1 ranked Ohio State University, who debuted a new mono-gray look yesterday. We knew this was coming for a while, and Paul had all the details way back in July.
Most times, when a new uniform (or jersey, helmet, etc.) is unveiled, we often couch our criticisms by saying, “I’ll need to see it on the field before I render a final opinion” — but this uniform was one of those you pretty much knew how they’d look. And yeah, the Scarlet and gray — head to toe in almost all cases — dominated the uniform. If you re-read Paul’s article you’ll notice he included a photo of the one other time OSU went mono-gray. At the time, I didn’t particularly like that look as it was completely void of any scarlet. This time around, the team basically did a white for gray color swap on their normal road whites. Unfortunately, this didn’t nearly look as good since (especially on long shots) the red numbers faded into the gray jerseys. The red NOBs were almost unreadable. Up close, the numbers were fine, but with the shadows in some spots, they were a bit tough to make out.
OK — that’s enough from me. Here’s TJ with the rest of your …
• • • • •
Sunday Morning Uni Watch by Terry Duroncelet, Jr.
I was somehow convinced to participate in my work’s fashion show on Saturday, and I hope that video of me walking the runway never surfaces. Also, Week 11 on the 11th day of the 11th month! Wow! How ’bout that!
• Kent State/Bowling Green: Remember last week, when the Golden Flashes lived up to their name? Looks like the light bulb burned out this week. Also note the second of MANY (and I mean many) demonstrations for Veterans Day weekend (the actual holiday falling on a Saturday this time).
• Toledo/Eastern Michigan: It’s not super-apparent from this shot, but Toledo wore these helmets on Wednesday night.
• Louisville/Virginia: WELP. Maybe Alabama should drop “Bama” and start using “The Loosa” (…actually, I take that back, that sounds incredibly unfortunate). Here’s that helmet close-up, by the way.
• Syracuse/Pitt: Ignoring the whole “AKTUALLY, the current Yankee Stadium is a mere 14 years-old, NOT 100 like the original Yankee Stadium would be if it were still standing” voice playing in the back of all of our heads, Syracuse and Pitt played yesterday’s game at Yankee Stadium, and the Orange wore a decal for the occasion.
• Central Arkansas/EKU: The rare FCS mention! Leo Strawn Jr. writes: “Central Arkansas beat EKU on a Hail Mary. This is the eyesore they play on. There ought to be a law.” I concur (and one more S&S helmet decal for good measure).
• • • • •
Thanks, Terry! Now onto the rest of today’s features.
Canadian University Uni Watch
Returning for 2023 is Canadian University Uni Watcher Wade Heidt, who will bring us some looks at three-down, 110-yard Canadian university football from up north. That’s Wade to the right side of your screen (you can even click to enlarge). The shirt Wade is wearing was created by the one and only Wafflebored! Wade’s rundown will appear every week on SMUW until the season ends.
• • • • •
Canadian University Uni Watch by Wade Heidt
What time is it? Time for some university football uniform watching Canadian rules style! It’s time for the CUUW!
Only 8 teams remained on Saturday to continue the battle for the Vanier Cup. The 4 conference finals were played.
Often nothing unusual with regards to the uniforms when it comes to playoff time. However, it has been unpredictable this year. It is not often that we see half of the conference final games as colour vs. colour. The CUUW will journey from east to west as it always promises to do.
• It was the usual schools in the RSEQ championship game. The 10th consecutive Coupe Dunsmore with these schools. Montreal and Laval. Concordia got close last week by getting to overtime but could not close the deal.
This was a colour vs. colour matchup. The Montreal Carabins went really blue this week. Their mono-blue combo from head to toe at home. The Laval Rouge et Or wore their gold/red/gold combo. The boys in blue were the winners this year.
• Likely not a game Paul would enjoy watching. The 2 best teams in Ontario wear purple. The Western Mustangs wearing their usual purple over purple home combo. The Laurier Golden Hawks wore their white/white/purple combo. Western captured their third consecutive Yates Cup.
• UBC Thunderbird Stadium hosted the 86th Hardy Cup. You may think you have never seen this stadium but it is possible you may have. If you watched the Amanda Bynes and Channing Tatum romantic comedy “She’s the Man” and some other shows on the TV screen, then you have seen this stadium.
Another team got it horribly wrong, as you’ll see at the end.
• The only thing as ridiculous as glow-in-the-dark jerseys is a Dirty Dancing celebration that looked a little too dirty. [Credit to Rex Henry for the photo]
OK, onto The Five, beginning with…
5. The “Not-So-Clean” Matchup:
I don’t mind almost-mono vs almost-mono, especially when the unis get a little dirty!
4. The “Classic, Baby… Classic” Matchup:
A nice autumnal-looking game from a region that isn’t known for leaf peeping.
3. The “Welcome To The Good Side Of The List, Aztecs!” Game:
San Diego State/Colorado State
It’s too early for Christmas music on the radio, but a properly done red/green matchup is always in season!
2. The “I’m Not Crying, You’re Crying” Game:
Although it didn’t bring tears to my eyes, I love the stuffing out of this matchup.
1. Simply The Best:
Now let’s get the Giants to move back there!
&1. The “Say It With Me, Terry…Contrast Matters” Game:
Too much between the two teams, and too little on OU’s uni.
See you next week!
• • • • •
Thanks, Jim! OK readers? What say you? Agree or disagree with Jimmer’s selections? Let him know in the comments below.
Power 5 and Duck Tracking
Uni Watch will again track the uniform combinations worn by college football conferences. New this year is Zachary Wooldridge, who is tracking the SEC. And joining the SMUW crew to track the Big XII is Matt Tomelleri, so we again have all Power Five conferences tracked this season.
Long-time trackers Rex Henry (tracking the ACC and the B1G this year), and Dennis Bolt (tracking the PAC-12) are returning for another season. Following the tracking, Dennis again returns with his Duck Tracking (which is the longest continuously-running feature on SMUW!).
Welcome to the 2023 Oregon Ducks Uni Tracker. This little project was originally begun way back in 2008-09 by Michael Princip, who retired after several seasons, whereupon the project was continued by Tim E. O’Brien. He, too, retired from the tracking, but the project has been ably kept up by the man who also tracks the Pac12, Dennis Bolt.
…that’s it for today. As always, a giant “THANKS!” to the entire SMUW Crew: Terry Duroncelet, Wade Heidt, Jimmer Vilk, Rex Henry, Dennis Bolt, Zach Wooldridge and Matt Tomelleri. Stellar work as always!
Everyone have a good Sunday and enjoy the games today — starting with the early game in Frankfurt. Here’s hoping the Patriots bring back the silver-gray pants!
Although Paul is on vacation, he will have his usual lede articles on Monday and Tuesday, but if there’s any breaking uni news either day, I’ll be filling in. So I’ll probably be back tomorrow. Till then…