By Phil Hecken
Week Three of the 2011 NFL season didn’t yield a tremendous amount of uni-notoriety, but we did have a throwback, an alt that serves as a throwback, and an alt. Let’s start with those.
• Back when the Saints were in the Super Bowl, I did a column with Ricko and Timmy B., and there is a pretty good look at the Saints uni history there, should you want to check it out.
• As far as throwbacks go, the Saints came pretty close to the original, except for the sleeve stripes (or lack thereof on most players) and the width of the white outline on the numbers. The Saints, no matter who was their uniform supplier, have actually fairly well replicated those 1967 originals. Nice job.
• The Minnesota Vikings wore their alternate uniforms, which are also throwbacks. We know they do it on purpose, but even under the new Metrodome roof lights, the mismatched purples on helmet and jersey is noticeable. Still, they looked great, and really should return to this look fulltime — Nike, are you listening?
• Da Bears wore their orange alternate tops, and despite orange being an awesome color, they just don’t look quite right. Maybe it’s the blue helmets and blue socks? Plus, they played the Pack. You tell me, which looks more like a Packers vs. Bears game?
• In that Packers/Bears game, Johnny Knox was styling with two sets of colored socks.
• The Jets and Raiders hooked up on a dirt infield, in a game Jim Vilk would have loved. The Jets white uniform is one of the best in the league. Unfortunately for the Jets, there was no showing of Heidi yesterday.
• The Browns wore white at home again, (also, as God intended), and Josh Cribbs continued the practice of wearing leg warmers on his forearms.
• In yet another tip of the cap to the uniform gods, the Bills remain undefeated in their gorgeous new duds. Nice socks on both teams too. And, I have to admit, I’m starting to come around on the Bills tapered helmet stripe. Still don’t love it, but it’s growing on me.
• Most teams don’t look real good in the super-stretchies. But when you wear stripes on your “sleeves” and pants, they can look just awful. Here’s another good look at the reinforced shoulders on Mike Vick’s jersey.
• The Titans wore white at home yesterday, so the Broncos wore their blue jerseys. I thought their orange jersey was going to be their primary this year. Does this count as one of the two times they can wear their alt? Anyone? I’m so confused about the new rules.
• Also wearing white at home were the Buccaneers, which meant the Falcons wore their red jerseys, which aren’t often seen in natural light. I’m not a fan of that entire jersey/pants set, but it’s really just a couple tweaks away from looking good. And it looks pretty good in the sunshine.
• I think we’ve covered this before, but Pierre GarÃ§on’s NOB has a cÃ©dille. Is he the only player with this particular accent mark?
That’s about it — if I missed anything, post it below.
by Rick Pearson
Special MMUW edition of Benchies today, kiddies!
Wow, what are the odds?
And of course, your full-size.
5 & 1 — The Pro Edition
It’s not often Jim gets to do a 5 & 1 for the pros, but it’s not often I get to handle the MMUW duties.
Now, Jim’s not much for the league where they pay for play, but he’s a trooper. So lets see if he applies the same arbitrary and capricious rules to his uniform selections as he does to the college game.
Honorable Mention to Texans/Saints – I love throwbacks and mismatched golds.
5. Jets/Raiders – I love a multipurpose stadium with dirt, too.
4. Steelers/Colts – If only those “shoulder stripes” were a little bigger…
3. Dolphins/Browns – Well, at least the Browns can beat the Steelers in *something*.
2. Chiefs/Chargers – Contrast, baby…contrast!
1. Packers/Bears – The color palette special of the day.
Uni Watch News Ticker: The Nets are set to make some sort of announcement this morning in Brooklyn. Team name? Logo? We shall see. ”¦ Recent finds on Etsy: baseball-themed cufflinks, a set of Chuck Taylor-esque charm beads, and — the real prize — an Expos letter opener. … Looks like Tommy Lasorda was wearing real stirrups when he suited up last Thursday. … New basketball court for Ole Miss (from Michael Martin). … Here are USF’s Wounded Warrior Project helmet and shoes, which the Bulls will wear on Nov. 19 against Miami. My understanding had been that the full uni unveiling wouldn’t happen until late October, but maybe that will change now that helmet is out there already. … Willie Gabel was watching the Belichick documentary on the NFL Network. “One segment shows an AFL Heritage game during the 2009 season — a Patriots/Broncos tilt,” he says. “Belichick is talking to some officials before the game. The refs are lamenting wearing the AFL officials’ uniforms, and they all chuckle at the Broncos’ throwbacks. Then Belichick quips, ‘You shoulda seen the shit they tried to dress me up in.'” … I’m still calling it the Superdome (and so is Christopher Falvey). ”¦ Mark Arnold notes that Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick wears his wedding band on the field. ”¦ Did you know the Cowboys have a merchandising operation that produces licensed college football apparel? I didn’t, until I read this article about how they’re being accused of using sweatshop labor. ”¦ John Schandler wonders if the claim of “over 20 moving parts” in this Steelers figurine was intended to include the head. … Michael Vick is wearing special Kevlar padding (from Dave Rakowski). … Kenn Tomasch found this photo and cap which ran in newspapers around the country on 11/8/1986. Kinda uni-related, based on the caption. … Chris Fernandez saw this interesting hand brace/protection on Jemile Weeks from The Oakland A’s on Friday night. … A reader who sent in this shot says, “San Diego State uses different sizes of helmet decals for various helmet styles.” If you took that cam-phone shot, please, take a bow. … Several readers noticed TJ Jones from Notre Dame had what looked like a backwards ND on his right sleeve (thanks to Joseph Lombardo, Richard Hill, and Jeff Ford, respectively, for the screen grabs, as well as Jimmy Atkinson & Todd Herzog). … Jeff Poole says, “I usually like Adam McCalvy’s work as a Brewers beat writer, but this article and its tenuous links to uniform numbers is absolutely horrible. They’re all good reasons for the Brewers winning the division this year, but trying to link each item to a Brewers uniform number fails pretty badly.” …
Christ, is it that time already Fortunately, hockey starts soon, so John Muir found this pretty cool NHL color scale, which includes links to Green/Purple/Natural and Orange/Silver/Gold scales. … Don Schafer grabbed this shot of multiple players for LSU wearing #38. According to Don, “Kirk Herbstreet mentioned that this was a great shot and complimented Brent on keeping all the 38’s straight.” … Check out the Pistol Pete nose bumpers on the new gray Oklahoma State helmets (with thanks to Arin Mitchell). … Teebz had to rewrite the article from Monday on HBIC. Why? “The new Leafs alternate uniform that honours the 1967 team? It’s already been worn before by the Leafs. I recognized it the moment I saw it, and I knew it had been worn before, but I had to nail it down. So I did. December 19, 2009 saw the Leafs warm up in the very alternate jersey they are wearing this year.” … Rich Cocchiara noticed the stitching pattern on Michael Vick’s jersey and asks, “I’m sure you’re getting a lot of this, but what is up with Vicks shoulder?” … Chad Hensley found “some random things I found while looking for garden supplies for a family member.” What did he find? NFL Throwback Mini Garden Gnomes, NFL Team Santa Claus Statues, and NFL Food Containers. Good thing he wasn’t shopping in the local Adult Novelty store. … Ricko found some good vids on the new Gray and Purple field that UCA is breaking out: Coach admits “it will help with recruiting.” A look at the field. Looks like the field gets its “big time” home debut Saturday night. … “Went to the first game of the season for the defending National Champion Wisconsin Badgers women’s hockey team. They were playing Lindenwood,” says Nicole Haase. “The Lady Lions (ugh) were wearing these socks that didn’t quite make it all the way around the calf. They were black with gold hoops, but when the girls turned around, there was a white strip of fabric going down the back. Cannot fathom what the purpose of that is.” … In a football game only the Mothervilker could love, between FAMU & Southern, Prentice James notes this FCS color on color and says Southern University wore SAME gold jerseys from 2006 Bayou Classic. “Don’t believe me,” he says. “Check this article about 1/4 way down. Even better, I attended the 2006 Bayou Classic, bought the same SU jersey type, and recently sold it on eBay.” … Colour on colour yesterday in professional football — but it was in Canada, eh. … Seth Moorman was not sure if Coco Crisp missed a button or just got his jersey all twisted up Sunday in Anaheim. … Very cool *sculpture* found by Jim Lonetti in Fraconia Sculpture Park, Taylors Falls, MN. … Good spot by Jeff Spry, who noticed during the Steelers/Colts game that Big Ben’s #7 is a bit off center. Just a few mms in one direction and it would be perfectly centered. Instead, there is some yellow visible on the left and the white point overlaps onto the black. … Here’s one for Paul: Timothy Cassady found this link about a kid in Cincinnati that likes to explore abandoned buildings and photograph what he sees. … What would happen if the Dodgers changed their logo and no one noticed? (thanks, Brinke).
And with that, I’ll hand the tiller back over to Captain Lukas. If you didn’t see the weekend’s offerings, make sure you check out the 10 finalists in the UW Seahawks Redesign Contest AND be sure to cast your vote for your favorite(s). Everyone have a great Monday, and I’ll see you next weekend.
Vikes in their throwbacks AKA “What they should be wearing every week”. — Johnny Okray