Most sports-related merchandise falls into one of two categories: There’s the mass-produced crap with no thought or imagination behind it (same slogan applied to every team, same design template for every team, etc.), and then there’s the fun, cool stuff that shows some creativity and inspiration. I like to think that Uni Watch merchandise falls into the latter category.
Here’s what’s currently available:
• There’s a good selection of T-shirts, coffee mugs, and a few other items in the Uni Watch online shop. Most of the shirts come in a range of colors and styles (long-sleeved, hoodies, etc.), and almost all of the mugs come with a lot of color options, so don’t be fooled by the thumbnail photos — click around and explore to see the full range of possibilities.
• We recently reactivated the Naming Wrongs project — a line of T-shirts that pushes back against the corporate renaming of stadiums and arenas. Those shirts are included with all the other products in the Uni Watch online shop, or you can see the Naming Wrongs stuff on its own in the Naming Wrongs shop.
• We’ve partnered with Ebbets Field Flannels to offer Uni Watch ballcaps. At present, all the fitted sizes are sold out, but the adjustable size is available, and we’ll have the fitted sizes back in stock by the end of June 2018.
• We’ve partnered with the great sticker website StickerYou to create a small line of Uni Watch stickers and magnets.
• We’ve partnered with American Trench to produce a great line of crew socks inspired by classic sports stripe patterns. The first batch is sold out, but you can still order designs from the second and third batches.
• For more than 10 years we’ve been producing Uni Watch membership cards. Each one is custom-designed with your choice of a team motif (the idea is that the back of the card looks like the back of a jersey) and then hand-trimmed and laminated by yours truly. And card-carrying members get a 15% discount on all of the merchandise listed here. You can sign up for your own custom-designed card here, you can see all the designs we’ve done so far here, and you can see how we produce the cards here.
• You can also get yourself a Uni Watch wristwatch (here’s another design option), which I’ve made available in part because I think it looks sharp but mainly because I think it’s fun to say, “Uni Watch watch.”
I’m a journalist, not a salesman or a shopkeeper. So why am I selling all this stuff? Because I enjoy having creative projects, and because capitalism can be fun to fuck around with. I appreciate it when people consider purchasing these products, but it’s also perfectly fine for you to enjoy reading Uni Watch without buying anything.
Meanwhile, I’m always looking for new and interesting merchandise projects. In the past we’ve done mini-helmets, embroidered anniversary patches, smart phone cases, and more. Do you have a suggestion for a new Uni Watch product? Please let me know. Thanks.