Today in the Ticker: New uniforms on the way for an MLB team, lots of notes from NBA media days, and Cincinnati’s favorite food will play dress-up on Thursday.
Uni Watch News Ticker for Sept. 27, 2022
- The Twins will unveil a new uniform set after the conclusion of this season. Key quote, from team prexy Dave St. Peter: “Our uniforms are going to evolve and take a step toward the future. There is always a sensitivity to paying respect to the history and the heritage of the franchise, but there’s also a desire to move it forward, much like we did in the mid-’80s.” Sounds like it might be a pretty serious redesign. (From Casey Common)
- Atlanta celebrated their 2021 World Series win by visiting the White House yesterday, and the team gave President Biden a No. 46 jersey with a “Biden” NOB. White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre was also asked about the team’s use of Native imagery and the “Tomahawk Chop” during the daily press briefing.
- This video squeezes parts of all of Albert Pujols’ 700 home runs into 60 seconds. (From Trevor Williams)
- The Bengals will sport white-and-black midfield and endzone art this Thursday, to go with the debut of their new “white Bengal” helmets (from Mike Miller and Steve Hemsath).
- Speaking of Cincinnati, Gold Star — the city’s second-largest chain of chili purveyors — will top coneys and chili spaghetti with white cheddar cheese on Thursday to match the Bengals’ uniforms. (From Patrick O’Neill)
- Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa covered the maker’s mark on his base-layer shirt with a sticker during his postgame interview Sunday. (From Josh Calhoun).
- The Commanders have narrowed down their mascot finalists to a dog and hog. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here’s what AI image generator MidJourney thinks the Eagles would look like with white helmets. (From Shawn Whyte)
- Browns QB Josh Dobbs, who graduated from Tennessee with an aerospace engineering degree, appeared on NASA’s livestream of the DART asteroid mission yesterday. He was wearing a cap that incorporated NASA’s famous “Worm A” into the word “Astro.”
- Rams CB Jalen Ramsey wore yellow socks Sunday, even though the rest of his teammates wore blue. Ramsey says he was inspired to do so after watching USC players wear yellow socks with the team’s yellow pants, and hinted that the Rams may wear a similar look later this year. (From Ken Hanson)
- ESPN has published a new feature story about the extensive history of great Cowboys receivers wearing No. 88. (From Brinke)
- BYU will wear royal helmets and jerseys along with white pants in their next game against Utah State.
- Troy LB Carlton Martial’s helmet got seriously dinged up after he made a team-record 17 tackles during Saturay’s game. (From Eric Juergens)
- The Toronto Argonauts and Ottawa Redblacks wore “Every Child Matters” decals on Saturday ahead of this week’s National Day for Truth and Reconciliation in Canada. The Redblacks wore a circular decal, while the Argos wore a square decal.
- The Capitals are holding a contest to design a rally towel for a giveaway. (From William Yurasko)
- Kraken G Philipp Grubauer has a new mask design. (From Wade Heidt)
- Some NHL players may not be happy about uniform ads, but many have accepted them as “inevitable.”
- The Canadiens have been practicing with two different helmet ads. (From Moe Khan)
- We have our first look at the Islanders’ 50th anniversary patch on the road jersey. (From Andy Lefko)
- North Dakota will wear new black uniforms for a game in Las Vegas. (From Phil and Sam Sayler)
- Michigan State has completed renovations to its arena. (From Kary Klismet)
- Assiniboia Rebels Senior Hockey Club in Saskatchewan says it will change its logo to remove the Confederate flag.
- The Pistons will honor Bob Lanier with a memorial band this season. (From David Raglin)
- The Grizzlies new “MEM” wordmark is being criticized as too similar to the cover art for Paul McCartney’s 2013 album New. (From Kary Klismet)
- Bulls G Alex Caruso says he explored changing his number to 6 in the offseason, but was shut down by the league. (From Mike Chamernik)
- Clippers F Kawhi Leonard appeared at the team’s media day in a jersey without a Nike logo. (From @djossuppah)
- Arizona men’s will unveil new uniforms tomorrow. (From Phil)
- Brazil: Many fans of the Brazilian men’s national team are ditching the team’s iconic yellow jerseys due to the shirt’s rising ties to right-wing politics in the country. (From Phil)
- Greece: AEK Athens has opened its new stadium. (From Kary Klismet)
- England: English men’s national team F Harry Kane wears No. 9, but he was wearing at least one upside down 6 yesterday against Germany. Note the difference in the numbers on Kane’s shirt and shorts. (From Kim Kolb)
- World Cup: NBC Sports is ranking all the kits for the upcoming tournament.
- New mascot for NAIA school Central Baptist College in Arkansas. (From Kary Klismet)
- New logos for Southridge High School in Indiana. (From Kary Klismet)
- This piece explores the unique team names of schools in Upstate New York. (From Kary Klismet)
- As Paul mentioned yesterday, Chargers LB Drue Tranquill wears a “Q Collar” to protect from head injuries. Several Premier Lacrosse League players also wear the device, including Jules Heningburg of Redwoods LC, Michael Sowers of Waterdogs LC, Jack Rowlett of Chaos LC and Marcus Holman of Archers LC. (From Jared Buccola)
- The US National Intelligence Manager for Aviation has unveiled a new logo that includes a flying saucer, and UFO enthusiasts believe it’s proof that the government has made contact with aliens.
- The Royal Family has unveiled the official monogram for King Charles III. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
In the article regarding the Twins rebranding, apparently they will introduce their City Connect uniforms next season; however, they will not be worn until 2024.
With the new scoreboard coming to Target Field, a perfect chance to change the Twins wordmark atop it. That one was only slightly refined from the ’80s original when the team moved into the park in 2010.
If you scroll down below the photo of Troy LB Carlton Martial’s helmet there’s a photo with a pretty good view of his custom facemask. Not sure if I’ve ever seen that before.
Does lime green make an appearance in the Twins color palette?
Is Michigan State trying to attract an NHL team with their renovations?
I’m sure the godawful uniforms worn by European hockey teams started out with just 1 patch too. But look how that has escalated. First it was 2 patches on the helmets. Then it was 1 patch on the jerseys. Next will be 1 patch on the pants. Next will be 1 patch on the socks. Next…
I don’t hate the AI generated Eagles helmets.
The entry about Alex Caruso is incorrect. He already wears #6.
VERY curious to see what the twins do here. MLB (aside from the diamondbacks) have been in a long trend of returning to what has worked in the past or at the very least simplifying. The Twins have been a part of this really since they went back to the script font and the TC hat logo, and the way they are talking it sounds like this new look will be a noticeable change from that if not a wholesale change. I always preferred the dynamic block font they had in the 80s/90s with the underline M cap and I find the Minnie and Paulie logo to be too childish and crowded for it’s own good but I’d be open to a reimagining/redesign of it that makes it at least a better looking graphic if not much different in composition.
They’ve also never wavered from the navy and red with the occasional gold trim, so I have to believe they’ll stick with that despite there being a plethora of teams with that same color palette. I have to assume this won’t be much more than a new font and hats in all the different combinations of red and/or blue but this time the colors will represent specific things that may or may not contain those colors like “a fighting spirit”, “a fierce love of the outdoors”, “tailgating culture”, or “a tradition of excellence.”
That they mention the Padres as an example of ‘what to do’ gives me optimism that the Twins will get it right.
2 elements I’d like to see (but not together) in a refresh:
Tri-color helmet(would be ok with navy lid/red visor…or vice versa depending on the cap design)
Road pin stripes.
I of course did a quick dive into their uni history and, given that the twins have been relatively restrained in their uni-design, and given that Nike has no such restraint, they are basically – at present – wearing a sampling of every uniform look they’ve ever had save for the pinstripes and the M hat. I would definitely welcome both of those things back, so long as they pared down the rest of the outfits. I hope that at least part of mentioning the padres is that they will keep things very simple at least to start off. I for one am of the mind that no team NEEDS more than one home, one road, and one alternate, particularly when the alternate(s) are usually just primary color versions of one of the other jerseys they already wear.
I guess I would prefer for Cleveland to become a red team because of its renaming while the Twins remain a blue team. But it would be fun to have a red-pinstriped team in the AL.
Is there a link to vote for the Washington mascot?
I mean, of the two, Hogs makes sense. But I want to vote for Dogs… just so that, against Cleveland, of all teams, a dog gets named as a the mascot.
The mascot better be the hog and his name better be general stormin’ Norman porkchop. I do not care if the rank doesn’t match up.
A combo of pig and general? That would be great, but the NFL is too stuffy and pretentious for that.
I was one of the people who wanted the team renamed the Pigskins knowing that would never happen.
Interesting to see the Habs White Helmet Sticker. Did they not just unveil RBC another Canadian Bank for their jersey sponsor. CIBC (another bank here) getting a”head” of RBC perhaps?
The “M” dropped out of “English en’s national team F Harry Kane…”
The Eagles wore white helmets from’69 to ’73 so the AI generated image is not unprecedented
Hope the Twins don’t mess up their new look like so many other teams are. have always liked the look they have. As for the Rams wearing yellow socks will look as dumb as they looked on USC.
I might kill two birds with one stone here. My enfatuation with uniforms may very well have been the Eagle’s late 60’s early 70’s white helmet with green wings. I was 8 or 9 years old, but that helmet mesmerized me! For nostalgia alone, I wouldn’t mind seeing some form of that helmet get some serious consideration for an Eagles update. Having said that, I am probably in a distinct minority.
Did not know King Charles was a Rockies fan.
I’ve seen NWSL soccer player Meghan Klingenberg wear a Q collar (or something similar) as well.