Today in the Ticker: New uniforms on the way for an MLB team, lots of notes from NBA media days, and Cincinnati’s favorite food will play dress-up on Thursday.
- The Twins will unveil a new uniform set after the conclusion of this season. Key quote, from team prexy Dave St. Peter: “Our uniforms are going to evolve and take a step toward the future. There is always a sensitivity to paying respect to the history and the heritage of the franchise, but there’s also a desire to move it forward, much like we did in the mid-’80s.” Sounds like it might be a pretty serious redesign. (From Casey Common)
- Atlanta celebrated their 2021 World Series win by visiting the White House yesterday, and the team gave President Biden a No. 46 jersey with a “Biden” NOB. White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre was also asked about the team’s use of Native imagery and the “Tomahawk Chop” during the daily press briefing.
- This video squeezes parts of all of Albert Pujols’ 700 home runs into 60 seconds. (From Trevor Williams)
- The Bengals will sport white-and-black midfield and endzone art this Thursday, to go with the debut of their new “white Bengal” helmets (from Mike Miller and Steve Hemsath).
- Speaking of Cincinnati, Gold Star — the city’s second-largest chain of chili purveyors — will top coneys and chili spaghetti with white cheddar cheese on Thursday to match the Bengals’ uniforms. (From Patrick O’Neill)
- Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa covered the maker’s mark on his base-layer shirt with a sticker during his postgame interview Sunday. (From Josh Calhoun).
- The Commanders have narrowed down their mascot finalists to a dog and hog. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here’s what AI image generator MidJourney thinks the Eagles would look like with white helmets. (From Shawn Whyte)
- Browns QB Josh Dobbs, who graduated from Tennessee with an aerospace engineering degree, appeared on NASA’s livestream of the DART asteroid mission yesterday. He was wearing a cap that incorporated NASA’s famous “Worm A” into the word “Astro.”
- Rams CB Jalen Ramsey wore yellow socks Sunday, even though the rest of his teammates wore blue. Ramsey says he was inspired to do so after watching USC players wear yellow socks with the team’s yellow pants, and hinted that the Rams may wear a similar look later this year. (From Ken Hanson)
- ESPN has published a new feature story about the extensive history of great Cowboys receivers wearing No. 88. (From Brinke)
- The Capitals are holding a contest to design a rally towel for a giveaway. (From William Yurasko)
- Kraken G Philipp Grubauer has a new mask design. (From Wade Heidt)
- Some NHL players may not be happy about uniform ads, but many have accepted them as “inevitable.”
- The Canadiens have been practicing with two different helmet ads. (From Moe Khan)
- We have our first look at the Islanders’ 50th anniversary patch on the road jersey. (From Andy Lefko)
- Assiniboia Rebels Senior Hockey Club in Saskatchewan says it will change its logo to remove the Confederate flag.
- The Pistons will honor Bob Lanier with a memorial band this season. (From David Raglin)
- The Grizzlies new “MEM” wordmark is being criticized as too similar to the cover art for Paul McCartney’s 2013 album New. (From Kary Klismet)
- Bulls G Alex Caruso says he explored changing his number to 6 in the offseason, but was shut down by the league. (From Mike Chamernik)
- Clippers F Kawhi Leonard appeared at the team’s media day in a jersey without a Nike logo. (From @djossuppah)
- Arizona men’s will unveil new uniforms tomorrow. (From Phil)
- Brazil: Many fans of the Brazilian men’s national team are ditching the team’s iconic yellow jerseys due to the shirt’s rising ties to right-wing politics in the country. (From Phil)
- Greece: AEK Athens has opened its new stadium. (From Kary Klismet)
- England: English men’s national team F Harry Kane wears No. 9, but he was wearing at least one upside down 6 yesterday against Germany. Note the difference in the numbers on Kane’s shirt and shorts. (From Kim Kolb)
- World Cup: NBC Sports is ranking all the kits for the upcoming tournament.
- New mascot for NAIA school Central Baptist College in Arkansas. (From Kary Klismet)
- New logos for Southridge High School in Indiana. (From Kary Klismet)
- This piece explores the unique team names of schools in Upstate New York. (From Kary Klismet)
- As Paul mentioned yesterday, Chargers LB Drue Tranquill wears a “Q Collar” to protect from head injuries. Several Premier Lacrosse League players also wear the device, including Jules Heningburg of Redwoods LC, Michael Sowers of Waterdogs LC, Jack Rowlett of Chaos LC and Marcus Holman of Archers LC. (From Jared Buccola)
- The US National Intelligence Manager for Aviation has unveiled a new logo that includes a flying saucer, and UFO enthusiasts believe it’s proof that the government has made contact with aliens.
- The Royal Family has unveiled the official monogram for King Charles III. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
More on Uni Watch