In today’s Ticker, we’ve got a little bit of this, and a little bit of that…
- It’s not just Uni Watchers who have noticed the kerning on the Seattle Mariners blue jerseys is terrible, even the Texas Rangers announcers hate it.
- Check out this nice old footage of the Cubs in spring training — in black and white unfortunately — but those vested jerseys are awesome. (From Sean Walsh) These were the uniforms worn by the Cubs during the 1941-42 seasons.
- Here’s some great video of the 1973 debut of the Los Angeles Rams new uniforms. (From Old Time Football)
- What happens when you combine a Dallas Cowboys helmet and a Chevrolet logo? (From Trevor Williams)
- “This morning I discovered a story on the white Xs the 1971 Atlanta Falcons rookies taped onto the back of their helmets,” says Kurt Rozek. I did some research and saw that you did an article on it in 2017. I didn’t want to waste your time, but I saw you were wondering if the Xing lasted more than one week. I’m including a pic from Week 4, Oct. 10, that shows an X on a Falcons’ player’s helmet in a 26-9 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals. Maybe someone came forward years ago to already show you this. I just thought I’d follow up in case there’s still interest there.”
- The SF 49ers’ George Kittle now wears a Vicis Zero2 Trench helmet, which Paul spotlighted a couple years back. It’s a position-specific helmet with benefits.
- Ever wonder what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would look like if they had a white alternate helmet (ahem…they now do), but were allowed to swap decals and pair it with their all white uniforms?
- At Friday night’s CFL game in Edmonton, the BC Lions wore a first-time combo with this year’s new uniforms. They went grey over black, while still wearing their Indigenous-themed logo on the helmet. (From Wade)
- “Kudos to the alteration of the Toronto Argonauts’ mascot get-up for a game (yester)day against fierce rivals the Hamilton Tiger-Cats,” says Wade.
- The U. of Saskatchewan Huskies have a new set of black jerseys. (From Wade Heidt)
- Here’s something I didn’t know. According to Arizona Sports History, the Phoenix Roadrunners played their first-ever preseason game in 1967, a 7-4 win over the defending WHL champion Seattle Totems at Penticton, B.C., near Victoria where they were holding training camp. Without uniforms yet, Phoenix had to wear the former Maple Leafs sweaters for the first 3 games.
- The Junior “A” BCHL season has started. The Langley Rivermen have new uniforms. Here is a look at the new white uniform. They have abandoned the vintage white uniform for an actual white one. Also, note no lighter blue trim. (From Wade Heidt)
- Here’s a list of the best Cleveland Cavaliers to wear each uniform number.
- New court for Capac High School in Michigan. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here’s something we can all be confident Paul would never eat: a purple cheesesteak at Orlando City SC’s stadium. (From Kary Klismet). It’s probably not just Paul who wouldn’t eat that, either.
- Last night, San Antonio FC wore armbands with the names of patients battling cancer at a local hospital. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Missouri S&T Miners women are debuting new uniforms today.
- Light blue vs. dark blue in last evening’s Cincinnati/Charlotte game. (From Jared Lloyd)
- Here is a look at the jerseys for the teams competing in the World Box Lacrosse Championships in Salamanca, NY. (From Wade Heidt)
- This and the following four iteas are all from Kary Klismet. The annual Great American Beer Festival in Denver can have some surprisingly uni-notable moments.
- The Penn State student newspaper is advocating for more pink and black uniforms for the school’s sports teams.
- New uniforms for the Temple University marching band.
- Here’s a brief history of Sammy, the University of California – Santa Cruz’s costumed banana slug mascot.
- New costumed mascot for Bardstown High School in Kentucky.