In today’s Ticker: A rare change to the Celtics’ floor design, a few college basketball unveilings and lots of mascot talk.
- The Cardinals are still using an old Padres logo on their lineup cards. (From Matt Hahn)
- The New York Times (soft paywall) recently ran an in-depth piece that goes behind the scenes on how MLB authenticates game-used or game-worn equipment. (From Dan Gitlitz)
- The logos, names and uniforms of all the teams competing in the new Cuban Baseball Elite League have been unveiled. Translated to English, the team names are: Tobacco Growers, Portiers, Centrals, Livestockers, Farmers, and Coffee Growers. (From Joel Horn)
- Who doesn’t love a good baseball sweater — especially the ones worn by the Yankees in this photo from the 1926 World Series. Check out that logo! “The low position of the Y makes that logo look more like a poor attempt at a Giants logo than like any approximation of a Yankees logo,” says Ferdinand Cesarano.
- UConn’s new hockey arena will be named the Toscano Family Ice Forum. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Celtics will have a new floor design this season. The leprechaun logo at center court is losing its white backdrop, and the baseline is gaining an ad. The painted area also contains a tribute to recently deceased legend Bill Russell.
- The Spurs’ new City Edition uniform has reportedly leaked — another design that incorporates “fiesta” colors and pays homage to the 1996 All-Star Game jerseys. (From Mike Chamernik)
- TCU men’s has unveiled their new uniforms for the upcoming season.
- Providence men’s has unveiled their new home uniforms for this season. (From Gino Radja)
- Marquette may not have its own Hall of Fame or museum, but it does have a sports pub in a repurposed activity/practice center, where they have a display honoring their rich and unique uniform history. (From Jorge Cruz)
- Florida State goalkeepers will wear turquoise jerseys tonight as part of Nike’s N7 program that celebrates Native cultures. (From @VictoryCB)
- Europe: Eight European men’s national teams competing at the World Cup this winter will start wearing “One Love” captaincy armbands beginning this week. (From our own Jamie Rathjen).
- Scotland: Amateur club Newcraighall Leith Victoria have unveiled new beer-themed and Pacman-themed jerseys. (From Kary Klismet)
- AFC Richmond, the fictional club that’s the focus of the hit show Ted Lasso, will be included as a playable team in the soon-to-be released video game FIFA 23. That trailer also includes what may be a sneak peak of the team’s jerseys for the upcoming season of the show. (Thanks to all who shared)
- Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe recently posed at Wimbledon’s center court in retro-inspired outfits as a promotion for the upcoming Laver Cup. In addition to the two holding modern rackets, McEnroe covered up the logos on his apparel. (From Mark A. Brieve)
- New 10th-anniversary logo for the United States Grand Prix, the annual F1 race that takes place in Austin, Texas, at Circuit of the Americas. (From Rob Altman)
- Cal Poly Humboldt’s student newspaper is calling for the retirement of “Lumberjack” as a name and mascot for the school’s sports teams. (From Kary Klismet)
- Nevada State College has a new mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- Williamston High School in Michigan also has a new mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- I don’t think I’ve ever seen a live costumed mascot for a curling team — but Canada’s National team has one! It’s an anthropomorphized curling stone named “Slider.”
- The Philadelphia Wings of the National Lacrosse League have released the number assignments for their rookie players. (From Michael Hochman)
More on Uni Watch