In today’s Ticker: A rare change to the Celtics’ floor design, a few college basketball unveilings and lots of mascot talk.
- The Cardinals are still using an old Padres logo on their lineup cards. (From Matt Hahn)
- The New York Times (soft paywall) recently ran an in-depth piece that goes behind the scenes on how MLB authenticates game-used or game-worn equipment. (From Dan Gitlitz)
- The logos, names and uniforms of all the teams competing in the new Cuban Baseball Elite League have been unveiled. Translated to English, the team names are: Tobacco Growers, Portiers, Centrals, Livestockers, Farmers, and Coffee Growers. (From Joel Horn)
- Who doesn’t love a good baseball sweater — especially the ones worn by the Yankees in this photo from the 1926 World Series. Check out that logo! “The low position of the Y makes that logo look more like a poor attempt at a Giants logo than like any approximation of a Yankees logo,” says Ferdinand Cesarano.
- UConn’s new hockey arena will be named the Toscano Family Ice Forum. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Celtics will have a new floor design this season. The leprechaun logo at center court is losing its white backdrop, and the baseline is gaining an ad. The painted area also contains a tribute to recently deceased legend Bill Russell.
- The Spurs’ new City Edition uniform has reportedly leaked — another design that incorporates “fiesta” colors and pays homage to the 1996 All-Star Game jerseys. (From Mike Chamernik)
- TCU men’s has unveiled their new uniforms for the upcoming season.
- Providence men’s has unveiled their new home uniforms for this season. (From Gino Radja)
- Marquette may not have its own Hall of Fame or museum, but it does have a sports pub in a repurposed activity/practice center, where they have a display honoring their rich and unique uniform history. (From Jorge Cruz)
- Florida State goalkeepers will wear turquoise jerseys tonight as part of Nike’s N7 program that celebrates Native cultures. (From @VictoryCB)
- Europe: Eight European men’s national teams competing at the World Cup this winter will start wearing “One Love” captaincy armbands beginning this week. (From our own Jamie Rathjen).
- Scotland: Amateur club Newcraighall Leith Victoria have unveiled new beer-themed and Pacman-themed jerseys. (From Kary Klismet)
- AFC Richmond, the fictional club that’s the focus of the hit show Ted Lasso, will be included as a playable team in the soon-to-be released video game FIFA 23. That trailer also includes what may be a sneak peak of the team’s jerseys for the upcoming season of the show. (Thanks to all who shared)
- Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe recently posed at Wimbledon’s center court in retro-inspired outfits as a promotion for the upcoming Laver Cup. In addition to the two holding modern rackets, McEnroe covered up the logos on his apparel. (From Mark A. Brieve)
- New 10th-anniversary logo for the United States Grand Prix, the annual F1 race that takes place in Austin, Texas, at Circuit of the Americas. (From Rob Altman)
- Cal Poly Humboldt’s student newspaper is calling for the retirement of “Lumberjack” as a name and mascot for the school’s sports teams. (From Kary Klismet)
- Nevada State College has a new mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- Williamston High School in Michigan also has a new mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- I don’t think I’ve ever seen a live costumed mascot for a curling team — but Canada’s National team has one! It’s an anthropomorphized curling stone named “Slider.”
- The Philadelphia Wings of the National Lacrosse League have released the number assignments for their rookie players. (From Michael Hochman)
Give the Gift of Uni Watch!
This holiday season, I hope you’ll consider getting a Uni Watch Plus subscription or a Uni Watch Premium subscription — or both! — for a friend, family member, or colleague who Gets It™. In addition to spreading the gospel of athletics aesthetics, you’ll also be helping out Uni Watch, which depends on reader support. Think how much fun it’ll be to have someone else in your life who you can talk about Uni Watch with!