In today’s Ticker: A junior high school with a serious Cubs obsession, a hockey goalie mask that celebrates other goalie masks, and more.
- Check out this 1920s photo of White Sox 3B Willie Kamm. Looks like he cut extra ventilation holes in his cap! (From @Go_GoSox)
- I’ve written a few times about Baltimore salt boxes. With OF Adam Jones retiring as an Oriole last week, salt box artist Juliet Ames has created a Jones-themed salt box. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- The Giants have lost 15 games in the standings since adding their sleeve advertisement. (From @imrahil327)
- SNY presented some fun facts last night about Mets who’ve worn No. 10. (From Steve Dodell)
- There’s nothing new about a school poaching a pro team’s logo, but Coolidge Jr. High School in Arizona has a serious Cubs fixation, right down to the “W” flag. And the town’s high school has a Bears fixation! (Fun find by Steve Sher)
- The Royals have missed their own deadline for selecting a new stadium site.
- In an apparent first, last night’s Dodgers/Tigers game was briefly delayed by a large soap bubble. (From Mike Chamernik)
- The collegiate summer wood-bat Northwoods League has new logos for its baseball and softball divisions. (From Jeff Ash)
- The 49ers will wear their red throwbacks for tonight’s game against the Giants.
- The Bucs are going red over white for next Monday night’s home game against the Eagles. The last time they wore that combo was last year’s season opener in Dallas, and the last time they wore it at home was Dec. 12, 2021.
- Here are this week’s uni combos for the Jags and Bills. (From Austin Maida)
- Here’s a ranking of Super Bowl uni matchups. (Thanks, Phil)
- Wondering about the origins of Brownie the Elf? Look here. (From Kary Klismet)
- Also from Kary: Here’s a look at the history of the Eagles’ logo.
- A goalie on the Wisconsin men’s team has new pads with a design featuring the Madison skyline. (From David Hanson)
- This is pretty funny: The Hornets announced that rookie G Nick Smith Jr. will wear No. 8. The last Hornet to wear that number was G Dennis Smith Jr. last year. So if you’re a Hornets fan with a Dennis Smith Jr. jersey, you’re in luck!
- Here’s a look at every third jersey from the 2023 MLS season. (Thanks, Phil)
- Spain: The Royal Spanish Football Federation has a lot bigger problems right now, but it’s dropping the gender qualifiers from the national teams so that they’re both “the Spanish national team.” (Thanks, Jamie)
- New helmet design for F1 driver Fernando Alonso. (Thanks, Anthony)
- Here’s how it might look if various Penn State sports teams added pink to their uniforms.
- A group of men wearing Nazi uniforms was ejected from a 1940s-themed festival in the UK.
- Here’s a bunch of articles about costumed sports mascots. (From John Flory)
- NBC Sports Washington has a new name: the Monumental Sports Network. (From William Yurasko)
- This story looks at how apparel manufacturers are finally taking the needs and comfort of women athletes into consideration when designing uniforms. (From Kary Klismet)
- Also from Kary: Great piece about the origins of Wabash College’s costumed mascot, Wally.
- Teeny-tiny logo adjustment for Facebook.