In today’s Ticker: The history behind the “clapping hands” scoreboard graphic, an NFL team-branded ambulance, the latest NBA tribute to Bill Russell, and more.
- Here’s a faaaaascinating Twitter thread on how a fan’s suggestion led the Astros to create the “clapping hands” scoreboard prompt. (From Trevor Williams)
- The Eagles’ new wordmark isn’t appearing on jersey chests or neck bumpers, but they did put it in the end zones for last night’s home opener. (From Michael Hochman)
- After a scary on-field collision, Bills CB Dane Jackson was taken off the field last night in a Bills-branded ambulance. (From Mandy Lopez)
- Whoa, check out this vintage CFL helmet sundae display! (From Dan Pfeifer)
- Lots of very cool footage in this 1972 movie, Tricky: A Day in the Life of CFL Legend Dick Thornton. (From Jeff Ingalls)
- Jets and Flames prospects went color vs. color yesterday. (From Stan Jankowski)
- New uniforms for the QMJHL’s Halifax Mooseheads. (From Mick Cagney)
- New uniforms and primary logo for the Winnipeg Blues of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League. (From Wade Heidt)
- Also from Wade: “After 50 years of wearing shades of blue and green, the Alberta Junior Hockey League’s Calgary Canucks have switched to red and yellow.” Here’s another pic.
- New uniforms for the WHL’s Brandon Wheat Kings. (From @mrbh204)
- Latest tribute to Bill Russell: The Celtics will have a big “6” in the paint this season. Other teams will have the numeral on the sideline, near the scorer’s table. (Thanks, Anthony)
- Kevin “Gashouse” Cearfoss, whose custom team-themed wall art has been featured several times on Uni Watch, has upped the ante by producing custom 76ers-themed packing foam!
- Here’s a ranking of this season’s Suns uniforms.
- New home jersey for Kansas men’s.
- New court design for Seattle. (From Trevor Bond)
- BYU men’s will apparently reveal new uniforms today. (From Christopher Jones)
- New uniforms for Oregon State women’s. “First uni update for them since (I believe) 2017,” says Jonah Henderson. “Finally upgrading to the template that pretty much all other big Nike schools have been using for at least a couple years now.”
- Denmark: The new men’s national team kit is based on the team’s 1992 design. (From Germán Cabrejo)
- Australia: New kits for Western United. (From Liam Fitz)
- Australia: New kits for the men’s national team. (Also from Liam Fitz)
- Japan: New kits for Tokyo Verdy Beleza. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Scotland: Newcraighall Leith Victoria’s new shirt looks like a pint of beer. (From Trevor Williams)
- Our final lacrosse report of the PLL season from Jared Buccola: “Waterdogs in purple/purple/white defeated Chaos in red/white/red for the PLL Championship. Both teams wore the championship logo as patches on their sleeves. Also, the PLL presented a new trophy this year.”
- In a seriously douchey move, New Era has poached a design from our friends at Oxford Pennant. Shameful. (Thanks to @FriendsOfTonyF for letting me know)
- There’s a font out there called Gelombang Radio, which for some reason has a backwards “6.” (From David Firestone)