Today in the ticker: A uni first for the Astros, Hispanic-themed unis for another MLB club, an NFL mural with the wrong number font, and more.
- As mentioned in Monday’s Ticker, Cardinals C Yadier Molina wore a commemorative mask last night to mark the record-breaking start between him and P Adam Wainwright. Reader Andrew Hermeling says Molina was having trouble with the mask and changed back to his regular mask by the top of the third. But the commentators claimed the mask change was because Wainwright was pulled before the top of the sixth.
- The Mariners went NNOB and had “Marineros” jerseys yesterday for Hispanic Heritage Month. A closeup of the jersey reveals the names of different Hispanic countries inside each number. (From multiple readers)
- The Astros wore their orange alternates with their road cap for the first time ever. (From @ECGarcia979)
- The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 569, based in San Diego, has a Swinging Friar-based logo. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
- New throwbacks for Briar Cliff University. (From Jay Wright)
- Left over from last Thursday’s kickoff game: Rams LB Bobby Wagner wore a Kobe Bryant thigh pad. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- Here’s a closer look at the helmet decal the Ravens are wearing this season to memorialize former players Tony Siragusa and late former LB Jaylon Ferguson. Although the team wore the decal last Sunday, they didn’t provide a close-up view of the design until yesterday. (From Marcus Hall)
- The Broncos recently put up a mural of WR Jerry Jeudy on the exterior of their stadium, showing him wearing the team’s regular home jersey with a block-style number font rather than the proper rounded font. The mural is based on a photo of Jeudy wearing the correct number font. (From Kary Klismet)
- NFL Network’s Good Morning Football is still using the Chargers’ old logo. (From @puroramen)
- Here’s what Oregon will be wearing this week. (From Jonah Henderson)
- BFBS for Georgia State this week. (From Aaron Reed)
- Mono-red for New Mexico this week.
- White lids for Florida State this weekend. (From multiple readers)
- Here’s what goes behind a team road trip, including what the equipment crew does.
- The dreaded supply chain issues have resulted in a shortage of football helmets, causing problems for high schools. (from Phillip Tutor)
- The PHF’s Metropolitan Riveters are moving home games to the ice rink in a mall, American Dream, in East Rutherford, N.J. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- The Clippers have made the wordmark on one of their alternates an official secondary logo. (From Conrad Burry)
- Yesterday, Paul showed us a picture of Moses Malone in an ABA game that looked to be color-on-color. We didn’t know what team Malone was playing against, but here’s a shot that makes it look like it might have been the Virginia Squires. (From our own Phil Hecken)
- Grand Rapids Community College in Michigan has just started a soccer program. Here are their inaugural uniforms.
- Argentina: New third kits for Rosario Central. (From Kary Klismet)
- Ghana: New kits for Accra Hearts of Oak. (Also from Kary)
- World Cup: Nike’s men’s World Cup shirts were released this morning. The U.S. design is also being worn by the American women’s team, so that probably applies to all the other countries’ women’s teams as well. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Hundreds of yoga teachers are calling out sports brand Lululemon for using coal-powered factories while pushing for environmental causes. (From Max Weintraub)
- A commission created to rename military assets originally named after Confederate troops or sympathizers will report its final recommendations to Congress at the end of the month. (Also from Max)
- Here’s a history of 10 unusual team names for Utah high schools. (From Kary Klismet)
- New team name and logos for Caledonia-Mumford Central School in Caledonia, New York. (Also from Kary)
- The 2024 Jeux du Quebec has chosen an Arctic fox as the event’s costumed mascot. (One more from Kary)