In today’s Ticker: A rare case of City Connect uniforms on the road, a uni mistake at the College Football Hall of Fame, a very cool NFL-themed hoagie wrapper, and an NHL team with a sense of humor about a uni leak.
- An old episode of Kojak featured the title character wearing a jacket with inaccurate Yankees patches. (From Michael James)
- The Rays and Jays went blue vs. blue last night. (Thanks to all who shared.)
- You don’t often see CC uniforms being worn on the road, but that’s what the Brewers did last night in St. Louis. (From Dan Pepper)
- Cardinals P Adam Wainwright and C Yadier Molina are slated to break the all-time record for career starts by the same battery tonight. Molina will wear this commemorative mask for the occasion. (From Erik Spoonmore)
- As you may recall, “Postseason” cap patches weren’t worn last season due to supply chain issues, but it looks like they’ll be back this year.
- The new collegiate wood bat Northwoods League team in Minot, N.D., has unveiled a list of potential team names ahead of its 2023 debut. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Ravens will induct Marshal Yanda into their Ring of Honor on Dec. 4. That’s part of a weekly series of gameday promotions they’ll be doing this season. (From Marcus Hall and Andrew Costentino)
- With KC marking their stadium’s 50th anniversary this season, they’re going with their field’s original 1972 midfield logo for tomorrow night’s home opener. Looks like they’ll have throwback end zones as well, which means they’ll presumably be painted red. (From @NDStache11)
- Speaking of KC, coach Andy Reid says several of the team’s injuries on Sunday were due to the Cardinals’ crappy turf.
- Pennsylvania-based convenience chain Wawa has a pretty cool-looking Eagles-themed hoagie wrapper design. (From Ed Bilder)
- Here are this week’s uni combos for BYU, Kansas State (including a new white helmet), and Utah. (Thanks to all who shared)
- New BFBS uni for San Jose State. It’ll be worn on Sept. 24. (Thanks, Lloyd)
- Rice will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the debut of their first Black players by wearing 1972 throwback helmets this Saturday. (From Chris Mycoskie)
- The College Football Hall of Fame just put up a display for new inductee Marvin Jones. But the display includes a purported Jones jersey that includes FSU’s 50th-anniversary patch from 1996 — which means it can’t be a Jones jersey, since his last season at FSU was 1992. (From Matt Yancey)
- We all know Cam Newton played at Auburn. But he considered going to Virginia Tech — because of their uniforms! (From Andrew Cosentino)
- The BC Lions will wear an Indigenous-themed helmet logo for their Sept. 30 game against the Ottawa Redblacks. Both teams will also wear orange spatting for Canada’s National Day for Truth and Reconciliation holiday. (From Wade Heidt)
- Washington (Ill.) High wears a Washington Nationals-style “W” helmet logo and a seriously weird-looking jersey that appears to be a mix of camo and confetti. (From Pete Stein)
- Reaction to the Canadiens adding an ad patch continues to be extremely negative.
- Counterpoint: A Maple Leafs blogger says he has no problem with NHL jersey ads.
- Here’s a video of the Lightning’s logos and graphics being applied to their home ice, including a 30th-anniversary logo at center ice. (From Brandon Weir)
- New mask for Oilers G Jack Campbell. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Sharks’ new jersey designs have already leaked, but the team will officially unveil them tonight. In an amusing move, the team tweeted, “[W]e’d appreciate it if everyone acted very surprised for us.” (From Mike Chamernik)
- Speaking of the Sharks, their Reverse Retro design will reportedly be inspired by the 1974-75 California Seals. (Thanks, Phil)
- Here’s a video of the stripe and numbers being added to a Penn State hockey helmet. (From William Yurasko)
- The CEBL’s Fraser Valley Bandits will now be known as the Vancouver Bandits. (From Wade Heidt)
- From our own Jamie Rathjen: Washington Spirit striker Ashley Hatch received a commemorative No. 100 shirt for reaching what looks like 100 Spirit appearances (not total NWSL appearances, which she would have reached last season).
- Scotland: Celtic’s usual shirt advertiser is giving up its spot for tonight’s match and will be replaced by an ad for the team’s foundation. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Colombia: New away kits for Millonarios. (This and all the remaining items in this section are from Kary Klismet)
- Italy: New third kits for Juventus.
- Mexico: Cruz Azul has a new alternate kit that mixes a green gradient effect into their traditional blue shirts in support of the Mexican Men’s National Team.
- Mexico: Necaxa’s new third kit also pays homage to the Mexican Men’s National Team, referencing the 1998 World Cup design.
- Morocco: New home kits for Raja Club Athletic.
- Ukraine: New third kits for Shakhtar Donetsk.
- There are several quotes from me in this article about a particular Nike shirt worn at the U.S. Open.
- New Indigenous-themed uniform for Australia. (From @CDodge56)