In today’s Ticker: A new MLB stadium possibly in the offing, a sloppy NFL number retirement, and more.
- Here’s a look at the history of the NFL logo. (Thanks, Phil)
- ESPN slightly altered the Bills’ helmet stripe on one of their Monday Night Football graphics. (From Moe Khan)
- Washington QB Sam Howell not only removed his helmet visor during Sunday’s game — he also switched to a new helmet model entirely. Note the difference in vents on the crown of each lid. (From @GnarwhalNick)
- The Chargers retired the numbers of pass-catching greats Kellen Winslow and Charlie Joiner at a ceremony during Sunday’s home opener. Part of the ceremony included the players being presented with framed jerseys of their era. However, as Tim Weaver points out, “The attention to detail is lacking. The Chargers’ 1978-1987 last name numbering/plates were nothing like these (which appear to be a knockoff Champion type font like the Bills had circa 1988-1993).” … “Also, the Chargers wore white at home almost all the time back then, so picking the blue was a strange choice!”
- The designs for this season’s “Salute to Service” caps have apparently leaked. (From Joe Pignataro)
- Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: The Bucs, who normally wear captaincy patches, were not wearing them on Sunday. It’s not yet clear if this is a new policy for them or just a one-week thing. (From Mike Stein)
- BYU will wear a royal/white/royal uniform combination on Saturday against Arkansas. (From Phil)
- UAB will wear uniforms promoting pediatric cancer awareness on Saturday when they take on Louisiana. The uniforms will include the names of about 100 children who have been afflicted by the disease. (From Phil)
- Ohio State walk-on Caden Davis posted a TikTok video yesterday that highlights some of the differences in the Buckeyes’ new all-grey uniforms, which they’ll debut later this year. Of note — the Buckeyes will wear a new helmet and pants with this set, as the uniform employs a grey that’s a few shades darker than they typically wear. (From Phil)
- Montana will wear brand new black uniforms and pants on Saturday against Ferris State. (From @JeramieRobinson)
- The number font on USC QB Caleb Williams’s uniform in this Nissan commercial is off — it looks nothing like the current font the Trojans wear.
- Auburn fanatic Clint Richardson has a breakdown of the Tigers’ new set over on his blog.
- England: There are whispers that Manchester United are considering a new jersey advertiser. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
- UK: England’s men’s team will wear throwback warm-up shirts prior to today’s friendly with Scotland, which celebrates the 150th anniversary of the first international game. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Here’s a fun Twitter thread about the strangest uniform numbers that have ever been worn on a pitch. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
- Bloomfield College in New Jersey, which was founded as a private Presbyterian school, recently merged with nearby Montclair State University. The Bloomfield campus will now be called Bloomfield Collage of Montclair State University, and officials have unveiled a new logo to go with the new name. (From John Cerone)
- Also from John: This graphic shows the history of the Fanta soda logo.