In today’s Ticker: an NHL team’s softball unis, a gorgeous third kit from Brazil, and more!
- There will be postseason patches on the caps — and, likely, jerseys — this October. Last year, there were no postseason or World Series patches due to supply chain issues. (From @ItsCurran)
- Here’s our first look at the on-field logos for MLB’s postseason. My guess is that navy blue box at the bottom will contain an advertiser’s logo. The Blue Jays posted a cool video of the application process. (From @StiebFan37 and Gabriel Hurl)
- Here’s some extremely awesome color footage of the 1938 World Series, featuring lots of good looks at the Yankees’ 1938 Worlds Fair sleeve patch. (From @NCSox)
- Has anyone ever looked cooler on a baseball card than Oil Can Boyd did on his 1986 Leaf? Love the custom embroidery on his jacket — something that seems unique to Oil Can. (From @mixedmediashop)
- It really shouldn’t surprise anyone, but MLB players love getting playoff merch. (From Steve Saldivar)
- MiLB and Marvel are teaming up to create logos and uniforms for 96 minor league teams, an expansion of their “Defenders of the Diamond” promotion. (Thanks, Phil)
- DB Nassir Peoples will wear Frank Beamer’s No. 25 for Virginia Tech this weekend. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- Here are this weekend’s uni combos for Washington State, Troy, Cincinnati, Oregon, UNC, Mizzou, Utah, and Michigan State.
- UT San Antonio is celebrating Hispanic heritage night this weekend, and they’ve included iridescent calavera designs on their helmets.
- South Dakota State changes the normal rectangle around the safety information on their helmets to an outline of the state. (Great spot by Alex Kenkel)
- The Kings will wear Gretzky-era throwbacks on opening night, but with silver helmets. I kinda dig the look! (Thanks, Phil)
- The Coyotes have brought in fashion designer Rhuigi Villaseñor to revamp the team’s apparel line. Normally, that wouldn’t really be our forte, but Villaseñor will also be designing a new third jersey for the Yotes. (Thanks, Phil)
- The Panthers wore hurricane relief helmet decals for last night’s preseason game. (From Noah Berger)
- Goalie pads get scuffed up very quickly, so no one really noticed that Bruins netminder Linus Ullmark’s pads have a marble motif to them. (From @skottdaltonic)
- Whoa, check out these Canadiens softball unis! I bet Guy Lafleur played a mean third base. (From @SPTO)
- Both the English women’s national team and the USWNT will wear teal armbands to stand in solidarity with sexual violence survivors. The gesture comes in the wake of the Yates Report, which details a wide-ranging history of abuse by former NWSL coach Christy Holly and the fact that team and league higher-ups knew of the abuse and failed to react appropriately. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Brazil: In honor of the 10th anniversary of their Club World Cup championship in Japan, Corinthians are releasing a third kit. I think it’s absolutely gorgeous, one of the best this season. (From Steve Kriske)
- Formula 1 driver Mick Schumacher is going with a cherry blossom-themed helmet for this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix, while Yuki Tsunoda — who is himself Japanese — is going with a helmet based on traditional Japanese art. Valtteri Bottas is going with a design inspired by the neon lights of Tokyo’s Shibuya district. (From Omar Jalife)
- The AFL Women’s pride round is the weekend after next (Oct. 14-16), but North Melbourne revealed a design that they’ll also wear a week early. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Virginia Tech women’s volleyball is going pink for October. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- Penn State women’s volleyball is also going pink for October, though it doubles as a callback to Penn State’s original colors. (From Chris Grosse)