In today’s Ticker, we’ve got the newest MLS franchise leaked, the Dolphins going white at home in ’72, and more!
- The Salt Lake Bees, Triple-A affiliates of the Angels, have unveiled new renderings of their proposed ballpark in Daybreak, a master-planned community in southern Salt Lake County. (From John Ewanowski)
- Reader Bob Gassel sends along this newspaper clipping about the ’72 Dolphins choosing to wear white at home for day games in order to combat the heat, but switching to aqua for Week 6 because the Bills brought their white jerseys. Here’s a shot from that game.
- The Ravens are going purple-over-white.
- The Bucs are going white-over-white at home against Atlanta this weekend. (From Ivis Aburto)
- Judging by their practice attire, it looks like the Iggles are going with their kelly green throwbacks this weekend. (From Sam McKinley, who notes that kelly green helmets and midnight green jerseys do not mix)
- Reader Brad Eenhuis sends along this 1966 Sports Illustrated cover, featuring what is pretty clearly a staged photo featuring the Rams offense and … some models in generic unis on defense? It’s pretty weird!
- Is Iowa teasing an alternate uniform for their matchup against Minnesota this weekend? There are some on social media who think so. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here are this weekend’s uni combos for New Mexico, UNC, UNLV, Mizzou, Pitt (a new all-white set for them), and Michigan State. (Thanks to all who shared)
- One thing I don’t think we’ve previously mentioned is that the Bruins are wearing their 100th anniversary patch on their pants, as well as on the right shoulder of the jersey.
- Maple Leafs RW Ryan Reaves says that the Capitals have the worst sweaters in the NHL because their logo is entirely in lowercase. “Figure it out, please,” Reaves implores. (From William F. Yurasko)
- The Canucks have unveiled their black throwback uni schedule. (From Wade Heidt)
- Colgate is letting students borrow a replica jersey by exchanging their student ID card for one ahead of games. They get their ID card back when they return the jersey. (From John McGraw)
- New unis for Utah men. (Thanks, Phil)
- MLS is formally announcing the name and logo of the new San Diego team today, but both leaked to The Athletic yesterday evening, and we couldn’t be more disappointed. The team will be called “San Diego FC,” and have this as its primary mark. Yeesh. (From multiple readers)
- The NWSL’s Kansas City Current announced that they were holding a “major stadium announcement” press conference. It turned out just to be a new naming rights deal. Sigh. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Spain: As part of Barcelona’s ongoing kit advertising deal with Spotify, the Blaugranas will wear the Rolling Stones’ tongue-and-lips logo on their kits for the upcoming Clásico against Real Madrid. I must say — it looks really bad.
- Tattoo artist Eduardo Lozano Barreto’s unique style makes his tattoos look like embroidered patches on skin. (From Sammy Barbour)
- A woman in Gettysburg, PA., has claimed legal ownership of the Gettysburg High athletics logo, and is demanding the school district pay her royalties. A Penn State intellectual property expert says her claim is worth bupkis. (From Jason Reed)
- Here are ten fun facts about Smokey, Tennessee’s live bluetick coonhound mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- A Taiwanese designer is taking old firefighter uniforms and recycling them into new fashion creations. (From Kary Klismet)
- Community groups in Australia are calling for the 2032 Brisbane Olympic committee to adopt the dugong (a marine mammal similar to a manatee) as the official mascot for the games. (From Kary Klismet)