In today’s Ticker: Uni notes from the NBA’s opening night, and more.
- Yankees RF Aaron Judge kissed the Yankees logo on his jersey after hitting a home run in yesterday’s ALCS Game 5. Judge said he was inspired to do so after seeing Premier League soccer players kiss the badges on their shirts after scoring a goal. (From multiple readers)
- Looks like Guardians P Aaron Civale is another MLBer whose jersey is sewn shut. (From Mikey Campbell)
- Padres C Austin Nola and his brother Phillies P Aaron Nola are facing off in this year’s NLCS. The cover photo for this story shows the brothers doing a jersey swap. (From our own Phil Hecken)
- Grambling State head coach Hue Jackson had the equipment staff restore the school’s logo on helmets after he ordered them removed last month. (From our own Phil Hecken)
- Alternates for Louisiana Tech this week. (From Chris Mycoksie)
- Michigan is getting new scoreboards, and they have renderings. (From Jason Hillyer)
- Here are some updates on the possible Rangers sweater leak we reported on earlier. (From our own Phil Hecken)
- Capitals G Darcy Kuemper was seen wearing the team’s leaked Reverse Retro colors on his pads, while his teammates wore other Reverse Retro-related gear. Paul reported in his NHL Preview that the Caps would likely be wearing these colors for their Reverse Retro uni. (Also from Phil)
- Speaking of RR, expect to see lots of teases today, with the full RR set unveiled tomorrow.
- The Lightning have swapped out their old Eastern Conference championship banners to match their banner from 2020-21, when there were no conferences due to the pandemic. (From Brian Hattab)
- The Celtics illuminated Bill Russell’s retired No. 6 in the rafters last night in his honor. There were also other tributes to Russell during a pregame ceremony. (From multiple readers)
- The Warriors received their championship rings at last night’s home opener. Here’s a more in-depth look at the details. Interestingly, the team went with the Copperplate font for their numbers on the rings — a font they haven’t used since 2019. (From Caleb Pardick)
- In honor of the NBA’s opening week, logo whiz Conrad Burry compiled all of the teams’ official logos (including secondary, tertiary, and more) into one graphic.
- Clippers SF Kawhi Leonard removed the Nike logo on his jersey for a photo that ended up on the cover of the most recent issue of Slam. Leonard, who was formerly with Nike, is now with New Balance. (From our own Phil Hecken)
- Looks like Apple and the Jazz are using the same slogan, “Take Note,” which has resulted in the Jazz ending up on the losing end of a hashtag clash. (From Mike Nessen)
- New space-themed unis for UCF women’s. (From Noah Goldberg)
- Canada: Nike didn’t release a new kit for Canada ahead of the men’s World Cup this year, so Adidas made some national team merch for them. (From Martyn Bailey)
- England: The recent Hull City/Birmingham match was delayed when the goals turned out to be too big, so crews had to saw the goals down to size. (From Trevor Williams)
- A penguin will be the official mascot for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Virginia’s women’s team appears to be wearing pink shirts on Thursday. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Actress Anna May Wong will be the first Asian American on a U.S. coin. (From Ray D. Barrington)
- An Iranian climber, Elnaz Rekabi, who participated in the International Federation of Sport Climbing’s Asian Championships last weekend without wearing a hijab, claimed the hijab fell off during competition. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)