In today’s Ticker: NHL NOB history was made last night, new NBA leaks, and a slick new hockey uniform inspired by…baseball?
- Astros pitchers Framber Valdez and Luis Garcia are wearing hair extensions for the postseason. (From Mike Chamernik)
- The best part of the MLB playoffs? Teams have been painting the postseason logo in grass beyond the baselines, replacing the on-field ads. (From Brian Wick)
- The Oakland International Airport is using images from the A’s 2012 AL West championship season as part of a “coming soon” display outside of an under construction restaurant. (From David A Wishinsky)
- Washington State’s ferry service is supporting the Mariners’ playoff run by renaming their ferries after M’s players and personnel. (From @thA_Pandabear)
- Who doesn’t love an old-timey baseball photo, especially when it involves neckties? That’s the West Duluth, Minn., baseball team from 1895. (From Nick Hannula)
- Turning back the clock: The Falcons will debut their new red throwback helmets this Sunday, and the Packers will wear their 1950s green-over-green throwbacks. (Both from Phil)
- Also from Phil: Mono-white, including white socks, for the Bills this week.
- When the Jets took on the Bengals in 1969, several Jets players had to wear generic white jerseys after several players had their game jerseys stolen. Check out the jersey receive George Sauer (No. 83) is wearing around the 1-minute mark in this video. (From @Ol_TimeFootball)
- We’ve mentioned in the past that MLB pitcher Randy Johnson has taken up photography. He was recently spotted wearing an NFL photographer’s vest while shooting the action at an Arizona Cardinals game. (From Ted Bloss)
- North Carolina will wear chrome blue helmets with a Tar Heel logo against Duke on Saturday. (Thanks to all who shared)
- Mississippi State will wear white helmets with a script “State” decal on Saturday against Kentucky. (From Mike Chamernik and Phil)
- East Carolina’s student newspaper has an interview with the graphic design major who designed the throwback uniforms the team will wear Saturday. (From Kary Klismet)
- Princeton players will wear a rainbow tiger decal on the back of their helmets Friday for Pride Night. (From @VerbDC)
- Washington State will wear white helmets, jerseys and pants on Saturday. (From Matt Blisard)
- Ole Miss will wear stars/stripes helmet logos on Saturday. (From Phil)
- Oklahoma will wear GFGS uniforms with a “Unity” NOB on Saturday. Additional info, including some background on the design process, here. (From Phil and Thad Balkman)
- FIU has taken after other Miami-based teams and unveiled a Miami Vice-themed field design for their game on Friday night. (From Phil)
- New Mexico is going silver/white/red this week.
- Champions League: Tottenham Hotspur and Eintracht Frankfurt wore black armbands in memory of Tottenham fitness coach Gian Piero Ventrone, who died earlier this month. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- The Knicks have unveiled a new Statement uniform — a navy set with block “New York” lettering. (From Phil)
- The Heat’s new City jerseys have reportedly leaked — a white version of the ransom-note set the team wore last year. (From Mike Chamernik)
- Reader Adam McClarey thinks the Mavs’ new City jerseys, which Paul wrote about yesterday, are reminiscent of the airplane liveries of now-defunct Air Florida — the colors match, and the wordmarks look similar.
- The Missouri State women have unveiled a new white uniform set. (From @snorlaxatives69)
- This time-lapse video of the FieldTurf replacement in Syracuse’s Carrier Dome is from 2015, but it offers a cool glimpse of the stadium’s original parquet basketball floor that was hidden underneath the football playing surface. (From Gabriel Luis Manga)
- History was made in Montreal last night, as Canadiens D Arber Xhekaj became the first player in league history with a last name starting with an “X” to suit up for a game. (From Brandon Weir)
- The Hurricanes have added a new 25th-anniversary decal to their helmets. (From Matt Roberts)
- Here’s a ranking of the last 10 Stanley Cup championship rings. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Panthers are the latest team to announce a jersey ad. (From Phil)
- The Canucks have a new helmet ad. (From Phil)
- Arizona State has unveiled a gorgeous new uniform set inspired by 1980s-era baseball uniforms worn by alum Barry Bonds. (From Lee Margolies)
- The Everett Silvertips of the WHL will wear pink-accented sweaters for cancer awareness on Saturday. (From Wade Heidt)
More on Uni Watch