In today’s Ticker, we’ve got white helmets for the Falcons, orange helmets for the Dolphins, lots of hockey news, and more.
- During yesterday’s Mets/Phillies tilt, Pete Alonso was hit by a pitch on the C-flap of his helmet, which broke off. (From BatBeat2)
- Here’s a great in-depth piece about graphic designer Grady Phelan’s ergonomic angled-knob bat design that reduces injuries and is finally gaining acceptance in Major League Baseball. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Harleton (Tex.) High School baseball team has received its championship rings for winning the state title last spring. (From Kary Klismet)
- In 1974, the Falcons were considering changing to a white helmet. Here is the example in a mini helmet. (From Mike Monaghan)
- Rumor was in 1966, Miami was going to have an orange helmet with a dolphin logo, so the company that made the gumball helmet produced an orange one, which we’ve turned into a mini helmet. (Another from Mike Monaghan)
- Here’s a great shot of a TWA livery with a Rams logo on the side of the nose. (From John Turney)
- The Arizona Cardinals’ new uniform is on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame (maybe to commemorate the worst uniform ever?). (From Kary Klismet)
- Just when you thought it was safe…Pinktober returns.
- In today’s London game, the Falcons are going black/white/white vs. Jacksonville, who are going mono-black.
- Today the Ravens will go black/white/black vs. the Browns in orange/brown/orange.
- The Bengals will go orange/white/white vs. Tennessee, who are going mono-navy.
- The LA Rams are wearing bone over blue vs. the Indy Colts.
- Buffalo will look good going white/blue/white against the Dolphins.
- Battle Red for the Texans (red hat & jersey) vs. Pittsburgh.
- In the late game, the New York Jets will again wear their “Sack Exchange” throwbacks.
- Kind of an odd scene down in Auburn yesterday, where Charles Barkley appeared to have covered up the “BU” in “AUBURN” with tape. Sir Charles, of course, is a Nike athlete and Auburn is a UA school, so maybe that’s why? (From Stu Taylor)
- Photo here of #85 of the Habs, John Parker-Jones, in Friday night’s preseason game. JPJ has no hyphen here…which is bizarre to me because he had a hyphen last year in AHL Laval (random photo of a YouTube thumbnail on Google), and the Habs have hyphens (Rafael Harvey-Pinard). You’d think he’d keep his same spelling with the same employer and payroll office! (From Mike Engle)
- Check out all 32 center ice designs for this NHL season in the NHL center ice archive. (From The Faceoff.net)
- The Vancouver Canucks have a brand new and rather large scoreboard at Rogers Arena. Also, the top of the boards are now blue instead of red. (From Wade Heidt)
- This should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone who has followed Uni Watch for any period of time, but the Detroit Red Wings have continued their pre-season tradition of straight, serifed NOBs. (From Rob S)
- Here’s a very cool video showing how an NHL goalie mask is customized. (From Andreas Papadopoulos)
- The WHL’s Winnipeg Ice abruptly moved to Wenatchee in the off-season. There had been a delay in seeing the new Wenatchee Wild uniforms as a result. We have finally seen the dark uniforms on Friday night. First time wearing the dark uniforms this season. Using a Blackhawks’ template for the black uniforms trimmed in blue. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Brandon Wheat Kings wore special Truth and Reconciliation helmet decals last night. It also was the first time the team ever wore a gray/silver helmet. The team also broke out new uniforms. More here. (Also from Wade)
- New court at Louisville’s home arena. (From Kary Klismet)
- Today FC Tokyo plays against Gamba Osaka in a 25th season memorial game. The uniform shown here is what they wore when entering the J.League. Ampm is an American convenience chain that was in Japan then, not now. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Meet Blaze and Tonk, your Cricket World Cup mascots! (From Art of Scorebug)
- Is the European Ryder Cup team wearing the most expensive uniforms in sports history? (From Kary Klismet)
- The following four items are all from Kary Klismet: The new costumed mascot for Ticonderoga High School in New York will be known as Ty the Sentinel after the results of a public contest to name it were announced.
- Why does Campbell County High School in Wyoming have a camel as its mascot? This story explains it.
- The Refugio (Tex.) High School boys’ and girls’ track teams received rings for winning their respective state championships.
- Bradley University’s student newspaper has published a spirited debate among its editorial team about whether the athletic program’s old or current logo is better. (Thanks, Kary!)