Happy October! Today, we’ve got a photoshopped Tony Gwynn, the story of a jersey caper, and an NBA team cutting ties with their jersey advertiser.
- Anyone notice anything wrong with this screenshot from a video about Tony Gwynn? I will say, he looks damn good in the current uni set — but then again, who doesn’t?
- Defector has a really great piece on, among other things, the time six Jets players had their jerseys stolen. (From Gabriel Luis Manga)
- Here are today’s unis for Michigan, West Virginia, Arizona State, Maryland, and Ole Miss. (Thanks to all who shared)
- Maryland are wearing a green ribbon decal on their helmets for mental health awareness. (From Marcus Hall)
- Southern Illinois and Illinois State play each other today, and each team will be debuting the newest Riddell helmet design, the Axiom. (From @mrmichael21).
- Morocco’s culture ministry is upset about a new warmup shirt the Algerian national team is wearing. Morocco alleges that the shirt depicts the geometric pattern zellige (or zellij), and that it’s cultural appropriation. Adidas says the pattern is based on a palace in Algeria. (From Bryan O’Nolan and our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Tomorrow, Brazilians go to the polls to elect a President. Supporters of right-wing incumbent Jair Bolsonaro have adopted the iconic yellow shirt of the Brazilian national team, leading those who oppose Bolsonaro to distance themselves from the once-ubiquitous jersey. (From John LoGuidice and Noel Fliss)
- Paywalled article, but apparently Olympic sponsors can put their brand logos in the 2028 Olympics logo. Yuck. (From William F. Yurasko)
- New Mexico cross-country runners wore orange ribbons in their hair and orange warm-up shirts ahead of their meet yesterday for National Truth and Reconciliation Day.
More on Uni Watch