In today’s ticker we’ve got some awesome locally sourced, fan-created Philadelphia baseball t-shirts, a WFL(!) helmet buggy and much more!
- It’s sad, but not surprising, when baseball blogs begin speculating about jersey ads, and even sadder that the constantly refer to advertisers as sponsors.
- Sorry, Yankee fans, but Vlad Gurrerro, Jr. will never wear Yankee pinstripes. In fact, he prefers to “kill” those in pinstripes.
- I love this: lots of local Philly artists are creating Phillies-themed t-shirts … all of which are undoubtedly going to be better than the crap Fanatics churns out for pseudo- and bandwagon fans.
- Oh my. Not sure where these were being worn, but check out these Philly wrasslin’ boots. (from Lee Wilds)
- Whoa! Check out this awesome Tigers jacket seen here on Charlie Gehringer. (From Pro Football Journal)
- NFL Alts and Oddities Today
- The New York Jets will once again wear green/white/black at home (they’re undefeated this season in this combo).
- The Buffalo Bills will go white/blue/blue (with blue socks) against the Jets.
- The Cincinnati Bengals will go orange/black/black (with orange socks) against the Panthers.
- The Atlanta Falcons will be in full black uniforms versus the Chargers.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars will be in full teal today (with black helmet, obviously) against da Raidahs.
- The Washington Commanders will be going mono-black at home against the Vikings.
- The Seattle Seahawks will be wearing their “wolf” gray jersey and pants versus the Cardinals.
- The Tennessee Titans will be going navy/white/powder against Kansas City.
- Wisconsin is, by all measures, rather traditional with their uniforms. But that doesn’t mean their players wouldn’t be opposed to “blackout” unis.
- ESPN’s box score website had problems with the Pitt-Syracuse game, as it didn’t properly parse the names Carlos Del Rio-Wilson and Rodney Hammond Jr. (From L.J. Sparvero). However, L.J. notes it was fixed later on in the game.
- “My exciting Friday night is going down a YouTube rabbit hole and finding WFL footage (July 1974, the summer before I started eighth grade),” writes Fran Fried. “There was some very well-preserved footage of the final minute of a Jacksonville Sharks-Chicago Fire game from early in the first season. Not only did the Fire have one of the best unis in the league … were there any other WFL teams that had a helmet buggy? Given the sad financial state of most of the teams, this came as a huge surprise to me.”
- Here’s a fun photo of a jersey swap of sorts, between Ray Bourque and Larry Legend. (From Brandon Weir). He adds, “Sorry I don’t have any context or history on this one. Still, a neat looking uni-esque picture.” (Also posted in NBA)
- The writer of this article talks a lot about the myriad jerseys/uniforms the Canucks have worn, usually without much on ice success.
- The Seattle Kraken have release this year’s set of “Hockey Is For Everyone” warmup sweaters.
- For those of you who care about such things, the NHL has added the Disney Mighty Ducks uniforms.
- Check out Marc-Andre Fleury’s Reverse Retro pads/glove/blocker. (From Sam)
- The Detroit Red Wings honored the 1996-7 & 1997-98 Stanley Cup Champs this weekend. Rob S “Noticed that Tomas Holmstrom has 15 for the 1997 celebration and 96 for the 1998 group. Homer, of course, vacated 15 for 96 to allow Dmitri Mironov to wear 15 when the latter was acquired late in the 1997-98 season.”
- The Washington Capitals (who wore their RRs last night), redesigned their jumbotron to look like the original MCI center purple board. (From Brandon Weir)
- Great powder blue uniforms for the St. John’s (Minnesota) hockey team. Great goalie gear too. (From Jimmy Lonetti)
- Here’s a fun photo of a jersey swap of sorts, between Ray Bourque and Larry Legend. (From Brandon Weir). He adds, “Sorry I don’t have any context or history on this one. Still, a neat looking uni-esque picture.” (Also posted in NHL)
- Matthew Kruszewski was at the Sixers game Friday night and noticed that the blue drop shadow is much more pronounced this year compared to last.
- Nike has suspended its “relationship” with Kyrie Irving following his most recent transgressions (WaPo link, soft paywall)
- The Iowa Wolves will be hitting the floor today in custom Black Panther unis for Marvel Super Hero™ Day and giving out comic books to the first 3000 fans!
- Scotland: As part of yesterday’s #ChristmasAppeal2022 launch, Celtic will be sported the Foundation CFC Appeal logo on their shirts. (From Ed Żelaski)
- Japan: The Yokohama F Marinos (a Japanese professional football club based in Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture) have announced their championship logo, a star with F and M in the design. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Here’s a look at the NRL jerseys club-by-club ahead of the 2023 competition.
More on Uni Watch