In today’s Ticker, we’ve got an NFL legend with an NOB error back in the 1980s, lots of soccer items, and more!
- Also posted in the basketball section: Celtics senior consultant Jeff Van Gundy wore a Red Sox/Celtics combination hat while in Portland, Maine, taking in the Maine Celtics.
- In a 1982 game against the Steelers, Cris Collinsworth lost the “T” in his NOB. The overall nameplate is fine, so the issue must’ve been the application of the “T” to the nameplate itself. (Great find by Christopher Hickey)
- The Vikings, who had no numbers between 1-19 available when they acquired QB Josh Dobbs from the Cardinals, have assigned Dobbs No. 15 and moved the previous holder of that number, practice squad WR Lucky Jackson, to 81.
- Here are this weekend’s unis for Ole Miss, West Virginia, Virginia, Louisville, Maryland, ASU, Utah, and Washington State.
- Oklahoma Lieutenant Governor Matt Pinnell (an Oral Roberts University grad) posted this set of ORU unis on Instagram. Today is the final Bedlam (OU vs. OSU) football game, and Pinnell would like to see Oral Roberts step in, despite their current lack of a football team. (From Thad Balkman)
- More fallout from the death of Adam Johnson: Tom Wilson of the Capitals has become the first member of his team to adopt neck protection. (From Bryan Martin Firvida)
- The Canucks have unveiled this year’s Diwali logo. (Thanks, Phil)
- Yesterday’s ESPN Daily podcast was about Pride tape in the NHL, and a larger discussion of the LGBTQ+ community in sports. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- The Bridgeport Islanders, AHL affiliates of the Islanders (natch), will debut their Gorton’s fisherman alternates on Sunday. (From Wade Heidt)
- Cross-posted from the baseball section: Celtics senior consultant Jeff Van Gundy wore a Red Sox/Celtics combination hat while in Portland, Maine, taking in the Maine Celtics.
- First SNAFU last night on the new specialty courts, with a 3-point line being improperly painted. The AP noted, “The 3-point shot of Dallas forward Grant Williams felt slightly off all morning in practice on the new, brightly painted Denver Nuggets court. Turns out, it wasn’t his shot at all. It was a wrongly measured 3-point line. The line’s curvature was painted too far back on the blue-and-yellow floor that Denver will use for the NBA’s In-season Tournament that made its debut Friday night. In the time between shootaround and the game between the Mavericks and Nuggets, the line was repainted to the correct distance.” (From Mike Chamernik)
- UNLV’s Glen Gondrezick wore “Gondo” as his NOB in the 1977 Sweet Sixteen. (From Mike Lynch)
- Wisconsin women will wear these unis on opening night, complete with “LEGACY” instead of an NOB. (From @gjmarmet)
- Here’s how Indiana’s Bobby Knight memorial patch will look on their jerseys. (Thanks, Phil)
- Iowa State is selling pieces of the basketball court used at Hilton Coliseum from 2020 through the end of last season to the public. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here’s a brief history of Murray State’s Racer Arena. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Jacksonville Armada have announced that they are moving from the fourth-tier National Premier Soccer League to the third-tier MLS Next Pro in time for the 2025 season and are building a new downtown stadium. (From Kary Klismet)
- Milwaukee has approved a $9.3 million grant to build a new stadium for the city’s expansion USL Championship franchise set to begin play in 2025. (From Kary Klismet)
- Albärt, the costumed mascot for the men’s UEFA EURO 2024 tournament, is on a tour of the United States with the tournament trophy in tow to generate American interest in the event. (From Kary Klismet)
- England: Rumor has it that Adidas will use their iconic Trefoil logo for Manchester United and Arsenal’s third kits next season. (From Timmy Steffes)
- France: New 90th-anniversay kits for Ligue 2 side Saint-Étienne. (From Kary Klismet)
- Italy: Serie A side Salernitana has unveiled new alternate kits that commemorate Alechi Castle, a medieval fortress that’s a local landmark. (From Kary Klismet)
- Italy: New details have emerged about AC Milan’s sweeping proposal to build a new stadium surrounded by an entertainment and retail district. (From Kary Klismet)
- Scotland: New third kits for Ayr United of the second-tier Scottish Championship. (From Kary Klismet)
- Major League Rugby has announced that the league has agreed to a three-year kit deal with Kappa, replacing Palladin. (From Bryan Martin Firvida)
- New municipal logo for Tulsa, Okla. (From Dan Bewley)