In today’s Ticker: A better look at Boston’s Winter Classic uniforms, a great NOB mashup, and a really big hat.
Uni Watch News Ticker for Nov. 29, 2022
- Here’s a great chart that overlays the configurations of every high school baseball field in the state of Hawaii. (From @AlexMShirley)
- Commanders RB Brian Robinson went viral yesterday for wearing an enormous novelty-sized cap in the locker room. (From William F. Yurasko)
- Packers QB Bryce Love and Eagles QB Jalen Hurts teamed up for an NOB mashup photo that would do Nazareth proud. See that Twitter thread for more all-time great NOB mashups. (From Gordon Blau)
- The latest episode of The Maryland Curiosity Bureau looks into the Ravens’ marching band, the Marching Ravens. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- We learned yesterday that the Bruins will pair their Winter Classic sweaters with black breezers, yellow striped socks, and yellow gloves. (From @mrbh204)
- In just the first few months of this season, goalie Magnus Hellberg has had stints with the Kraken and the Senators before landing with the Red Wings. His locker in Detroit includes gear from all of those teams. (From Brandon Weir)
- Speaking of Detroit, the Red Wings added black to their helmet ad to match their new RR uniforms. (From @IRCLee2000)
- Great illustrations included on this graphic of the league’s last 35 NBA MVPs. (From Steve Kriske)
- Virginia Tech’s Justyn Mutts wore custom sneakers last night that included his nickname, El Niño. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- The reigning champions of the Canadian Elite Basketball League, the Hamilton Honey Badgers, have been forced to relocate about an hour north to the city of Brampton, Ontario, due to ongoing renovations at Hamilton’s arena. (From Wade Heidt)
- Poland F Robert Lewandowski gave a signed shirt to the Saudi fan who celebrated Lewandowski’s goal on Saturday by pulling off his Saudi shirt and revealing a Poland shirt. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Also from Ed: New home shirt for Irish side Bohemians.
- Reader Trevor Williams, who works as a third grade teacher, has decorated his classroom with team pennants from the men’s World Cup. “This afternoon my students and I will watch the final minutes of the US/Iran game,” he says.
- Here’s a ranking of the 32 men’s World Cup team managers’ attire. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
- Formula E’s new logo has leaked several times in recent weeks. Yesterday, the logo appeared as the series’ Twitter banner image, confirming the previous leaks. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Deadspin made the case yesterday that teams should be “outlawed” from wearing black uniforms. (From Jim Howicz)
- Jacobs University in Bremen, Germany has changed its name to Constructor University.
- The Sault Tribe of Chippewa Indians has sent a letter to the Marquette Area Public Schools board in Michigan, asking the board to change the school district’s “Redmen” team name. (From John Chapman)
Bryce Love is a free agent running back- jersey is probably Jordan Love’s
Zach is correct. It’s QB Jordan Love, not Bryce.
As Zach points out, it is indeed Jordan, not Bryce, Love. I’m sure Jordan would love to become a household name soon.
LeBron, Kareem, Duncan, Magic and Kobe won the most playoff series among these MVPs.
That Deadspin writer thinks he’s cool lol
I remember when Deadspin was cool. That piece was so poorly written, I agreed with the premise and still disliked it.
According to this guy the Orioles and SF Giants can’t wear black. Last time I checked Orioles are black and orange. And the Giants have worn black going back to their time in NYC.
And the Heat, who wore black from Year 1 in 1988. Rony Seikaly would disagree with this guy. (Though they do look good in the red/white/yellow. Or the pink/teal.)
My gosh, that 750-foot left field wall! Imagine the tripes and inside-the-park homers that field must have seen.
At 47, I have decided to use my remaining eligibility by transferring to Ka’u High and their sweet, short RF fence.
Winter Classic gloves for the Bruins are really tan and not yellow gloves. Old-timey tan (not coloured) style for the gloves.
The Deadspin article mentions last weekend’s Canada-Croatia game, but doesn’t mention that the only reason why Canada wore black was because they were the designated road team, and Croatia chose to wear their white and red checkerboard shirts. Canada had to wear black because it was their only option
Red should be our other option.
Canada does have a red shirt, but I can’t imagine they would be allowed to wear it against a design also containing red.
Relieved Canada at least got a goal at World Cup. Even if it was in our black kit.
Steve Nash won the MVP in 2005 and 2006. The Suns’ combined playoff record during those seasons was 19-15.
Charles Barkley won in 1992. The Suns’ playoff record that year was 13-11. I’m not sure what data that graphic is using, but at least in those two cases, it’s not accurate.
The Bruins uni looks good!
That NBA MVP graphic is mildly infuriating from a UW perspective. There seems to be no consistent reasoning behind the choices made in terms of what era of player/uniform to depict.
That giant hat and the “hype” they are trying to put out there is ridiculous.
On a similar topic, if Snyder sells the team, hopefully the new ownership will change the name and unis as quickly as is allowed.