In today’s ticker: All today’s NFL odd and alt uni action, a beautiful warm-up sweater for the Wild and more!
- It may be the off-season now, but uni-philes will definitely be psyched for a new show on MLB-TV called Inside Stitch, which bills itself as “for the uniform obsessed baseball fan.” It goes on to say “if you’ve ever found yourself dreaming about the Astros’ tequila sunrise stripes, or having deep thoughts about how the Yankees jersey logo doesn’t match the ballcap (Tiffany — yes, the jewelry company — designed the uni logo, but it was too difficult to replicate on a hat), then this is the show for you.” If MLB hasn’t already reached out to Paul to appear, they need to pronto!
- As you’re probably aware, MLB umpires have dumped cryptocurrency FTX as a jersey ad, and MLB Commish Rob Manfred has vowed not to repeat that mistake again. No, he doesn’t mean no jersey ads, just maybe not jumping on sketchy companies going forward.
- ICYMI — This is great: Yankees catcher Jose Trevino showed up for Career Day at his son’s school in full uniform.
- In the new straight-to-streaming “A Christmas Story Christmas,” Peter Billingsley rocks a 1972 White Sox road uniform shirsey. In the film, set in 1973, Ralphie and his family live on the south side of Chicago. (From Fusilli Jerry)
- NFL alts and oddities today:
- The Falcons will wear their gradient uniforms against the Bears.
- The Bills will again go all-blue against the Browns, who are going orange/white/orange in their game — which has been moved to Detroit due to the major snowstorm in Buffalo.
- The Saints will wear their gorgeous 1967 throwbacks against the Rams.
- The Jets will once again wear their green/white/black combo vs. the Patriots. The team is 5-0 this season when wearing that look.
- The Broncos will wear their orange color rush uniforms against the Raiders.
- The Bengals are wearing their white tiger alternates against the Steelers, who are countering with their monoblack color rush unis.
- The Commanders will wear the numbers 1, 15 and 41 on their helmets to honor the three UVA football players who lost their lives last Sunday.
- Kansas City will go white over white today against the LA Chargers.
- The Texans will be going mono-blue against the Commanders. (From Ace Fuller)
- There used to be a time when the NFL thought appealing to female fans meant pink jerseys and bedazzled apparel. Not anymore.
- Here’s Ike Taylor doing some classic Uni Watching! (From Jerry Wolper)
- “Wow, I just noticed today that the “Flying WV” on the Mountaineer Marching Band uniform is slightly different than the official logo.” says Rob Matuga.”I’m not complaining, I love the band unis and WVU Marching Band should not change a thing!”
- Here’s a fascinating look at an end zone logo during the process of getting the field ready for the Grey Cup. (From Wade Heidt)
- Check out this color vs. color in the Texas high school football playoffs. Lovejoy in red, defending state champ South Oak Cliff in black. (From Chris Mycoskie)
- “Captain, or should I say капітан?” reads a tweet from The Hockey Samurai. “Paul Shmyr of the WHA’s Edmonton Oilers. Shmyr wore a Cyrillic “К” instead of the customary captain’s “C” due to his Ukrainian heritage.” (From David Raglin)
- When the Minnesota Wild warm up before their game on Friday, they’ll be wearing jerseys that celebrate Minnesota’s Indigenous history.
- Chicago debuted their Reverse Retros last night, and I dig ’em!
- Likewise, the Florida Panthers Reverse Retros are the bees knees!
- The game with Vancouver Giants wearing Summit Series Team Canada throwbacks ended up being a color vs color game. Kamloops Blazers in their navy blue. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Hershey Bears are doing the purple sweater “Hockey Fights Cancer” thingy tonight.
- The Edmonton Oil Kings unveiled a new jersey on Friday night, and it’s freakin’ sweet.
- Special Native American-themed uniforms for the Tulsa Oilers.