In today’s Ticker, we’ve got a minor league baseball team rebranding, another new Formula 1 livery for Las Vegas, and more!
- At a 1980 concert at Anaheim Stadium with Merle Haggard and Johnny Paycheck, Willie Nelson wore an Astros tequila sunrise jacket, and a beret, for some reason. (From Christopher Fellerhoff)
- The new identity for Atlanta’s High-A affiliates in Rome, Ga., has been revealed: the Rome Emperors. I love this identity. From the play on words in the name to the overall aesthetic, it’s everything great about the minors. A home run. (From Adam Hainsfurther)
- The Fond du Lac Dock Spiders of the Northwoods League have unveiled an eighth-season logo. At first I thought this was really weird, but then I remembered that spiders have eight legs and now I think it’s super-clever. (From Brian Kerhin)
- The Broncos are going with their navy alternates for Sunday Night Football. (Thanks, Phil)
- Houston is adding a memorial helmet decal for the three former players killed in a car accident this week. (From Ignacio Salazar and our own Phil Hecken)
- The Oklahoma wordmark on the Sooners’ unis is slightly different from the official school wordmark. (From Sam McKinley)
- Here are this weekend’s uni combos for Tennessee, Troy, Wazzu, Utah, and WVU. (Thanks to all who shared)
- The Caps are giving away a T-shirt with a turkey version of the Weagle logo (which has been around for a few years now) next week. (Thanks, Jamie)
- In what might be a first, the Henderson Silver Knights, AHL affiliates of the Golden Knights, are honoring the Space Force with their Military Appreciation jerseys, to be worn tonight. (Thanks, Phil)
- Chinese President Xi Jinping is in San Francisco for a summit with President Biden. California Governor Gavin Newsom, who is hosting the summit, presented Xi with a customized Warriors jersey.
- During a recent appearance on the YouTube show Hot Ones, Carmelo Anthony briefly discusses the Nuggets changing from their traditional navy to the lighter blue in 2003 just prior to drafting him. The conversation happens at the 10:30 mark. (From David Wilcock)
- Somehow, both Crvena Zvezda and Olympiacos both wore red-and-white striped jerseys during a EuroLeague game yesterday. (From @Sween_N_Sour)
- We’ve seen images of NYCFC’s planned new stadium in The Ticker before, but now they’ve released new renderings showing how it will be environmentally sustainable and fully electric. (From Kary Klismet)
- Soccer writer Pablo Iglesias Maurer is looking to sell his game worn Johan Cruyff Washington Diplomats jersey. Even if you don’t have the scratch to buy it (Maurer’s probably looking for northwards of $5K), you can at least appreciate the details, unique to that era of the NASL — the number on the sleeves, huge front logo, no advertiser. Iconic. (From Blake Jackson)
- Another new livery for the Las Vegas Grand Prix: Scuderia AlphaTauri this time, joining Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Alfa Romeo, Alpine and Williams. 14 of the 20 cars on the grid in Vegas will have a unique livery! I think AlphaTauri’s is probably the best, but you can view them all here.
- Sticking with the Vegas Grand Prix, the Vegas Sphere won’t display red, yellow, or blue during the race. Those three colors are the three flag colors that require a driver to reduce speed.
- Gaelic football side Kerry GAA have unveiled their new kits. (Thanks to Phil Santos and our own Phil Hecken)
- LMVH’s Beruti brand will design the French team’s Olympic opening ceremony unis for next year. (Thanks, Phil)
- New mascot — the Wolf — and logo for York Technical College in Rock Hill, S.C. (From Kary Klismet)
- A new high school in Pasco, Wash., tentatively set to be named “Harvest View,” has at least landed on a team name — the Lobos. Here’s their logo. (From Kary Klismet)