Today in the Ticker: More UVa tributes, the tragedy of the Bills’ default uni option, and more.
- Sigh: The Bills will once again go blue over blue this week. That will mark the sixth time in 11 games that they’ve they’ve worn that combo this season (four times at home, twice on the road), after wearing it only once in 2021. I guess we’d have to call it their primary look now. Such a shame, because their blue/white combo is one of the best in the league.
- Very odd facemask positioning for early-1970s Cardinals LB Pete Barnes. (From John Turney)
- Today is the 60th anniversary of the Steelers adopting the Steelmark as their team logo. (Thanks, Jerry)
- All ACC teams will wear UVa “V sabre” helmet decals this week in memory of the UVa shooting victims. In addition, all MAC coaches are wearing orange ribbons. (Thanks, Jamie)
- A fairly sedate look this week for Oregon.
- In that same game, Utah will wear their mono-white throwbacks.
- The logo of bankrupt crypto firm FTX has been removed from Cal’s field.
- New lava/magma-themed mask for Flames G Jacob Markström. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Devils have finally announced their Reverse Retro schedule. (Thanks, Phil)
- Speaking of RR, check out Wild G Marc-Andre Fleury’s awesome new RR mask, which is a nod to his former goalie coach, Gilles Meloche.
- Remember when Capitals LW Alex Ovechkin wore a “Well I’m Not Michael Jordan” hoodie in 2018? He wore it again before last night’s game in Florida. (From Brandon Weir)
- Here’s an article on the Suns’ Indigenous-themed City alternate.
- The Knicks have named streetwear designer Ronnie Fieg, who’s already had a hand in creating a few of their City uniforms, as their creative director. (From Tom Turner)
- My story about the Bucks not being able to wear cream uniforms anymore was mentioned on FS1’s First Things First broadcast.
- Speaking of the Bucks, they have a new court design to go with their new City uniform.
- Gotta like this Uni Watch-worthy article about WNBA players who wear one leg sleeve. (From Todd Richard)
- The new MLS team in St. Louis, which is set to begin play next year, unveiled their inaugural kit. It includes an Apple TV sleeve patch, which all MLS teams will be wearing next season. Further breakdown here. (Thanks to all who shared)
- New crest for CF Montréal. Yes, I realize they’re in Canada, not the USA, but it feels like anything MLS-related should go in this section. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Speaking of MLS, NYCFC is getting a new stadium adjacent to the New York Mets’ ballpark.
- Here’s a ranking of men’s World Cup kits.
- Netherlands: World Cup men’s coach Louis van Gaal says he assigned the team’s uni numbers based on the players’ ages. (Thanks, Anthony)
- Scotland: Scottish teams will wear their second or third kits at home to support homelessness charities. “It’s for Scottish Women’s Premier League games on Dec. 4 and for games in the men’s top four tiers on Dec. 23-24,” says our own Jamie Rathjen. As you may recall, there was talk of English Premier League teams doing something similar last year for Boxing Day, but it didn’t pan out.
- Here’s a more in-depth look at the Paris 2024 Olympics mascot characters.
- The school district in Hays, Kan., is discussing whether to change the high school’s team name, which is currently “Indians.” (From Kyle Eilts)
- Cartoonist and longtime Uni Watch pal Ron Ruelle, who among other things came up with the idea for the Brooklyn Branches, has a newly updated website, where you can see his cool illustration work.
More on Uni Watch