In today’s Ticker: A mustachioed Joe Montana, ACC rivals show support for Virginia following Monday’s mass shooting, and more.
Uni Watch News Ticker for Nov. 15, 2022
- The Diamondbacks have unveiled a logo commemorating their 25th anniversary. (From Josh Pearlman and Mike Chamernik)
- The Charleston Dirty Birds of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball have a new ballpark naming rights advertiser. (From @joshuaexline)
- The Amarillo Sod Poodles, the D-Backs’ Double-A affiliate, are the latest team to unveil a Marvel superhero-inspired logo. (From Ignacio Salazar)
- Looking ahead to next week: The Broncos will wear their all-orange Color Rash fauxbacks, the Falcons will don their red gradient jerseys, and the Bengals will break out their white helmets. (All from Phil)
- Cameras captured actor Miles Teller chatting with Eagles OL Jason Kelce before last night’s game. During their brief conversation, Kelce told Teller that he still wears jerseys with Reebok tailoring. (From Brendan Asspee)
- I don’t think I’ve ever seen Joe Montana wear a mustache, but he sported a thick Fu Manchu during Niners training camp in 1979.
- BYU going white/blue/blue this week. (From Phil)
- Even though the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are the designated home team in Sunday’s Grey Cup, they’ve chosen to wear their white jerseys, meaning the Toronto Argonauts will wear blue. (From Wade Heidt)
- In recent years, the Canucks have struggled when wearing alternate uniforms. The one exception? The black “Flying Skate” throwbacks. (From Wade Heidt)
- A 1973 ABA game between the Spurs and the Virginia Squires had to be postponed because the Spurs’ uniforms went missing.
- Virginia Tech women have begun practicing and warming up in #HokiesForHoos T-shirts to honor the victims of Sunday’s mass shooting on Virginia’s campus. The message has since spread to other sports on campus. (From James Gilbert and our own Jamie Rathjen)
- The Colorado Rapids have a new jersey advertiser. (From John Flory and Phil)
- The USL Championship will expand to Rhode Island in 2024. Yesterday, the unveiled its new club name — Rhode Island FC — and team crest. (From Ken Hanson)
- One of the walls at the USMNT’s World Cup training facility in Qatar is decorated to celebrate LGBTQ pride, and even contains a rainbow-colored version of the team’s crest. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Speaking of USMNT, they’ve released the number assignments for their World Cup roster. (Also from Jamie Rathjen and Steve Kriske)
- England’s and Uruguay’s men’s teams also released their World Cup number assignments yesterday. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
- Australian MF Jackson Irvine arrived in Qatar for the World Cup wearing a retro Celtic FC uniform. Irvine did play in Celtic’s youth program from 2010-2012. (Also from Anthony)
- Leigh, newly promoted to the men’s top tier of English rugby league, have rebranded as the Leopards and gone for a rather distinctive look. (From Jon Smalldon)
- Paul has written several times about Baltimore’s salt boxes, the city-owned containers that hold road and sidewalk salt for winter storms. Well, the city recently installed five more salt boxes this year, and Mayor Brandon Scott branded one of the new boxes with his initials and the symbol for the hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- Taylor University, an NAIA school in Indiana, makes heavy use of argyle on their cross country uniforms. (From @BallparkHunter)
- The Olympic Committee for the 2024 games in Paris has unveiled the event’s official mascots. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- A local newspaper in western Michigan has published a piece about the 10 most unique high school mascots in the state. (From Brandon Weir)
Joe Montana is wearing a great horseshoe stache. Horseshoe mustaches are often mislabeled as a Fu Manchu, but the Fu Manchu differs from the horseshoe in that the Fu Manchu is only connected to the face at the top corners of the mouth and a wide gap is shaved at the philtrum. If you can’t lift your handles away from your face and style them in another direction, you’ve got a horseshoe, not a Fu Manchu.
What about calling it a handlebar mustache?
That Leigh uniform set might be one of the worst of all time. It’s at least up there.
Holy crap that looks like one of these old lady shirts and not a sports uniform. Whew those are terrible.
St Louis City FC kit drop at noon today. Looking forward to that and going to the game tonight!
Rhode Island FC! WOW! Where do these high paid marketing geniuses come up with such original and cutting edge naming ideas?!?!?