Today in the Ticker: A potential change to the Cubs’ jerseys, a commemorative logo for a logo, and more.
- The Cubs tweeted photos of new manager Craig Counsell that did not include a prowling cub logo patch on the left sleeve. An oversight, or is there a change coming? (From Bryan Redemske)
- New Mets manager Carlos Mendoza has announced that he will wear jersey No. 28. Why? He says it’s a promise that the Mets will win another World Series before the Yankees win their next ring, which would be their 28th.
- Here’s a weird one: Check out this 1972 shot of Frank Robinson wearing a Dodgers jersey and an Orioles cap.
- The Erie SeaWolves, a Tigers affiliate, are teasing an announcement for Wednesday. (From our own Anthony Emerson)
- The Corpus Christi Hooks, an Astros affiliate, have launched a design-a-jersey contest for kids 13 and under. The team will select two winners, one of which will be worn on the field. The other winning design will be given away to fans at the game. (From Tom Tagliabue and Phil)
- New logo for the Asia Winter Baseball League. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Bills are celebrating the 50th season of their charging buffalo logo with … a commemorative logo! (From Kary Klismet)
- Speaking of the Bills: As we’ve seen before, several of their players were wearing Nike’s old template last night. Examples here, here, here, and here.
- The Ravens will wear their all-black alternates for this Thurday’s matchup with the Bengals. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- Kenny Kaplan notes two high schools in New York are poaching NFL logos. Carey High School is using an orange-and-black version of the Seahawks’ logo, and East Rockaway High School is using a slightly modified version of the Raiders’ logo.
- The Vikings and the NBA’s Minnesota Timberwolves put out an Instagram post about how both teams are in the midst of five-game winning streaks — the first time that’s happened concurrently since 2005. “Both Anthony Edwards and Justin Jefferson are shown in the Instagram post wearing ’90’s/early=’00s jerseys,” notes reader Patrick Lenertz. “Makes sense to use Minnesota sports’ two biggest stars, but JJ hasn’t even played the last five games for the Vikes! Also, Edwards switched to No. 5 this year, but JJ is wearing a #1 Wolves jersey.”
- Baylor and TCU have formally renamed their rivalry “The Bluebonnet Battle” and unveiled a new trophy.
- Miami (Ohio) will wear red helmets (with a script logo), jerseys, and pants for their game against Buffalo on Wednesday.
- With Alabama and Georgia having already clinched their divisions, the 2023 SEC Championship game is already set. The Western Division is the designated “home” team this year, meaning Alabama will wear crimson, while the Bulldogs will wear white. (From Phil)
- An Iowa blogger noticed that Hawkeyes offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, who was recently informed by the school that he would be let go at the end of the season, wore all black on the sidelines, with no team logos, during Saturday’s win over Rutgers. (From Kary Klismet)
- Cross-listed from the NFL section: The Timberwolves and the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings put out an Instagram post about how both teams are in the midst of five-game winning streaks — the first time that’s happened concurrently since 2005. “Both Anthony Edwards and Justin Jefferson are shown in the Instagram post wearing ’90’s/early=’00s jerseys,” notes reader Patrick Lenertz. “Makes sense to use Minnesota sports’ two biggest stars, but JJ hasn’t even played the last five games for the Vikes! Also, Edwards switched to No. 5 this year, but JJ is wearing a #1 Wolves jersey.”
- New logo for NorCal Premier Soccer, a youth soccer developmental organization in Northern California. (From Kary Klismet)
- What a cool project! This NWSL fan made a quilt based on every uniform matchup during the 2023 season. (From Jason Collins)
- Germany: The blog Museum of Jerseys has a new post on the 1998-99 Bundesliga, when half of the 18 clubs were outfitted by Adidas. The post includes a chart of all the league matchups among them. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Sweden’s national women’s futsal team wears the same uniforms as the country’s women’s soccer team. (From Scott Segerstrom)
- This great piece explains why the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired voluntarily chose to move away from its Native American team name and imagery. (From Kevin Eckhoff)
- New crew uniforms for Aerolineas Argentinas. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here’s a visual history of the Walt Disney Co. wordmark. (From Kary Klismet)
- NASA posted an Instagram story yesterday that included a link to a style guide from 1976 — the peak of the “Worm” era. (From Sean Coyle)
- Here’s a good story on the University of Wisconsin’s branding. (From @gjmarmet)