Today in the Ticker: Lots of soccer news, NBA and Stanley Cup Final(s) news, and more.
- Back when Buck Showalter was managing the Orioles, Chris Bruno compiled this fascinating rundown of all the outdated and modified windbreakers that Showalter wore.
- The Miami Heat’s Jimmy Butler wore a St. Louis Browns cap at a press conference on Monday. (From Todd Radom)
- Newly acquired Padres C Gary Sanchez, who was just claimed off of waivers, wore dark-blue catcher’s gear last night, instead of team-colored brown gear. (From Patrick Finley)
- The Guardians’ Hot Dogs, the sausage-looking mascots that race around the warning track at Guardians games, hid a Backstreet Boys-related message in 232 of their tweets dating back to November. Spoiler: The message is the lyrics to the Backstreet Boys 1999 hit, “I Want It That Way.” (From John Flory)
- OF Aaron Hicks will wear No. 34 with the Orioles. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- Following up on Monday’s lede: Here are more examples of ballplayers taking off their uniforms to prove that they’d been hit by a pitch. (From Jerry Wolper)
- The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, affiliate of the Phillies, will wear strawberry pie-themed uniforms as the Lehigh Valley Strawberry Pie on July 1. (From multiple readers)
- This distance from home plate to center field at Werner Park, home of the Omaha Storm Chasers (affiliate of the Royals), is 402 feet. 402 is also Omaha’s area code. (From Chris Bisbee)
- Here’s a look at the uniforms that teams in the NCAA Division I baseball tournament have worn, organized by regional. (From Gabe Cornwall)
- Here’s a tour of the NHL’s Manhattan headquarters. As you’d expect, there’s a lot of memorabilia on the walls.
- Here’s what the Stanley Cup patch will look like on the Panthers’ home sweaters. As you can probably guess, the patch is awkwardly placed there to make room for an ad. More details here. (From multiple readers)
- Here’s a first look at what the NBA Finals patch looks like on the Nuggets’ jerseys. (From Dave Farmar)
- Here’s a video in which Uni Watch pal Todd Radom takes a look at Nuggets jerseys through the years. (From Phil)
- In 1996, the Pistons changed their uniforms. Former Pistons head coach Chuck Daly, who was then an analyst at TBS and TNT, didn’t like the new look at all. (From Mike Chamernik)
- Cross-listed from the baseball section: Heat SF Jimmy Butler wore a St. Louis Browns cap at Monday’s postgame press conference. (From Todd Radom)
- England: New kits coming for League Two’s newest club, Wrexham. (From Phil)
- England: New home shirt for men’s seventh-tier side FC United of Manchester. (From Germán Cabrejo)
- France: New home shirt for Paris Saint-Germain. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Germany: Hertha’s new shirt may have leaked. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Germany: Here’s the men’s Bundesliga’s 2023/24 match ball. (From @john000071)
- Northern Ireland: New home shirt for Linfield. (From Colm Heaney)
- Fashion brand Loro Piana has unveiled the uniforms Team Europe will wear for the upcoming Ryder Cup. (From our own Phil Hecken)
- The U.S. Air Force has painted a F-16C Fighting Falcon in the colors of the Colorado state flag to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Colorado Air National Guard’s 120th Fighter Squadron. The aircraft in the background of the photo is an Air Force F35-A. Both aircraft are flying over Leadville, Colorado. (From Mark Johnson)