In today’s Ticker, we’ve got a vintage NFL pin set, a unique stirrup style on an MLB player, and more!
Uni Watch News Ticker for May 26, 2023
- A blogger has ranked every current White Sox uni. (Thanks, Phil)
- The Orioles will have a new field design to go along with their City Connect unis, which debut tonight. (From Andrew Cosentino and Marcus Hall)
- Reds OF TJ Friedl Gets It™. That stirrup style went out-of-fashion in the mid-2000s. (From Kris Hull)
- OSU’s women’s teams are called the “Cowgirls,” but softball head coach Kenny Gajewski was wearing a “Cowboys” cap during last night’s game.
- The Frontier League’s New Jersey Jackals have unveiled some “Silk City” alternates, complete with a Hinchliffe Stadium patch on the sleeve. (From Dan Cichalski)
- The Browns have revealed the two finalists for their new dawg logo. (From David R. Moravcik)
- Reader @CoryRobert shared his complete 1994 NFL Shield pin set, distributed by the Quality Markets supermarket chain. Lots of really cool designs here, but gotta love how the Raiders just went with their logo and nothing else.
- Florida is evidently adopting BFBS unis this year. Here’s hoping they wear them at night — I wouldn’t wish wearing black in the Gainesville sun on my worst enemy. (Thanks, Phil)
- Spartan Stadium is turning 100 this year, so Michigan State will have a helmet decal commemorating the milestone. (From Kary Klismet)
- The 2023 USFL Championship game logo has been released.
- Ludlow High in Cincinnati has some new turf, and it’s a doozy — eye-searingly bright red. (From our own Alex Hider, whose high school played home games at Ludlow)
- During TNT’s NHL Face-Off ahead of last night’s Stars/Knights game, Wayne Gretzky explained why he started his famous “jersey tuck.”
- The Winnipeg Sea Bears, the newest expansion team of the Canadian Elite Basketball League, have unveiled their inaugural unis. (From Wade Heidt)
- Sacramento has released updated renderings of a planned new stadium for Sacramento Republic FC of the USL Championship. They have decided to move forward on building despite having been passed over in favor of San Diego in the latest round of MLS expansion. (From Kary Klismet)
- New athletics logo for Lewis University. (From David Ridderhoff)
The guy ranking the White Sox jerseys is crazy
2. Home White
3. Road Grey
4. City Connect
5. Throwback Pullovers
Honestly, the pullovers stink. Completely out of step with the current color palette. I get bringing them out, it’s part of the history, but they should be used as a once a season special throwback, not a true alt in the rotation.
2023 is the 40th anniversary of the 1983 All Star Game at Comiskey and the 1983 AL West title. The throwbacks should be shelved after this season and replaced with something else (2021 Field of Dreams game, 1967/68, 1969/70, or 1971-75). Bring back the license plate uniforms in 2033 if they host the ASG again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
1. As a high schooler whose mascot was the polar bear ❄️ I love that Sea Bears shirt.
The logo and colour scheme for the Sea Bears is a nod to a previous pro basketball team in Winnipeg. The Winnipeg Thunder of the World Basketball League and National Basketball League of 1992-94. When teal was popular!
If I remember correctly, the NFL designed those shield logos as part of a deal with golfer Payne Stewart. He wore the colors of whatever NFL team was nearest to where the tournament was being held that weekend and every team had golf shirts, caps, plus-fours and argyle socks available in team colors.
The Lewis University link links to the Browns 2 dawg finalists.
Fixed. Here’s the proper link: link
Better than 90% of Division 1 branding if you ask me.
I think I still have a few of those shield pins (Bills, Saints, and Panthers) somewhere. I had completely forgotten that I had gotten them at Quality.
As a Gator I HATE the BFBS (emphasis on BS). It’s nothing but a merch dump and a great way to get steamed like a tamale on gameday.
Here’s hoping they wear them at night — I wouldn’t wish wearing black in the Gainesville sun on my worst enemy.
I disagree. If you subject us to yet another BFBS uni, you should have to wear it in the hot sun as punishment.
The rare “forbidden jaguar” logo, seen in the wild in that 1994 pin set!
Winnipeg is pretty darn far from any sea, so why call themselves the Sea Bears?
I thought MLB has a 4 uniform rule. How is it the White Sox have 5.
Four PLUS One