In today’s Ticker: More NFL rookies have selected their numbers, the Nats have a new home run prop, and Louisville has a great new football field design.
Uni Watch News Ticker for May 2, 2023
- The Nationals have unveiled a new home run prop — a Revolutionary War-era powdered wig. Insert obligatory New Era joke here. (From Max Weintraub)
- Mets DH Daniel Vogelbach is sporting a new, rather unique hairstyle.
- The Billings Mustangs of the independent Pioneer League have a logo to commemorate their 75th anniversary. (From @MiLBPromos)
- New mascot for the Double-A Binghamton Rumble Ponies. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Bills have assigned uniform numbers to their new draft picks.
- Staying in the AFC East, the Dolphins have also shared new number assignments for new players. (From our own Anthony Emerson and @Frankie__Doodle)
- New KC draftee WR Rashee Rice has indicated that he will wear No. 4.
- Newly drafted Panthers QB Bryce Young — the top overall pick in the recent NFL draft — will wear No. 9. (From Gabe Cornwall)
- Louisville has unveiled a retro-styled field design that features a stiff-arming cardinal at midfield. (From Josh Claywell and Timmy Donahue)
- Here’s an article on how new Saints DB Ugo Amadi will be the first Saint to wear No. 0 since Obert Logan in the late 1960s. (From Russell Goutierez)
- Some fans were critical of the XFL’s divisional championship trophies and T-shirts. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here’s a fun set of concepts that reimagine the Suns using other NBA teams’ iconic jersey designs. (From Fenix Fits)
- This 1980s yearbook photo of Tennessee State men’s star Anthony Mason shows that the Tigers at one time poached the Lakers’ logo. (From Gerry Dincher)
- United Kingdom: The Premier League is asking clubs to play “God Save the King” before matches next weekend for Charles III’s coronation. The Scottish Professional Football League is leaving the decision up to clubs. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- New logos for Fairfield Area High School in Pennsylvania. (From Kary Klismet)
- Maria College in Albany, N.Y., does not have an athletics program. But that hasn’t kept them from unveiling a team name — the Monarchs — and a new mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- Schoharie High School in New York has dropped Native imagery and changed its name to the “Storm.” (From Kary Klismet)
Wow! That thread of mascots could be a lead!
You’re right! I’m going to remove it from the Ticker and showcase it in a separate post.
Am I the only one that sees Tom Brady’s face in the Patriots’ mascot?
The stiff arm cardinal is a great logo! Looks fantastic on the field.
First item in the NBA section should be FeNix Fits (ya know, like “Phoenix”)
You’ve got an extra “c” in “Schoharie” High School. I live just a stone’s throw away.
George Washington, for whom the city is named, famously did not wear a wig, although wigs were very fashionable among his peers. He grew his own hair long and powdered it white to look like the then-fashionable wigs.
“The Scottish Professional Football League is leaving the decision up to clubs. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)”
Spoiler alert. Rangers will play it and probably have some elaborate royal themed tifo as well, Celtic will def not play it, and their fans will probably find some way to express their Anglophobia.
Rangers playing GSTK after Elizabeth died in direct defiance of UEFA is one of the best things I’ve ever seen in sport.
“Anglophobia” is certainly one way to characterize a group’s disdain for their colonizers.
Celtic fans feel plenty of things toward the British Crown, but fear isn’t one of them…
Well, adidas should be happy with the stiff arm Cardinal in Louisville’s new field look.
I wish they’d bring back the 70’s Red Rage logo. Somewhere there’s a photo of 7 year-old me wearing a shirt with that logo.
Wonder when the Yankees will file a cease and desist on the Nationals for using the powdered wig they use to celebrate Aaron Judge…
Comment from New Era’s legal team on the Nats Wig: “Since usage will be de minimis, we’re just gonna let it slide.”
Those Suns concepts are phenomenal. Love the Gorilla over the tailpipes for the Pistons.