Today in the Ticker: Some bobblehead news, lots of hockey news, and more.
- The MLB Network broadcaster who called the Cubs/Rangers game yesterday talked a bit about how both teams went blue vs. blue. (From @weirdsportsmerch)
- The new Mets scoreboard is huge! (From Mike Chamernik)
- After six former Phillies died of brain cancer, a group of scientists recently tested turf samples of Veterans Field, the team’s former home. They got the samples from eBay listings. Turns out the samples contain lots of dangerous chemicals. (From Kurt Esposito)
- A Baltimore area-based sports brand is selling an Orioles/Oreos-themed crossover shirt. (From Andrew Cosentino)
- The Triple-A affiliate Syracuse Mets are doing a C Francisco Alvarez bobblehead giveaway. In the bobblehead, home plate is facing the wrong direction and poorly proportioned. (From Steve Kriske)
- Here’s every high school baseball field in Rhode Island plotted on one graphic. (From Todd Meisner)
- Here’s an article on the Netherlands’ World Baseball Classic uniforms.
- Speaking of the WBC, Panama P Randall Delgado left the New Era sticker on the brim of his cap during a game earlier today. (From Peter Fahey)
- Following up on a Ticker item from last week: The Broncos are expected to have a throwback or alternate helmet next season. (From Kary Klismet)
- New turf for Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, the venue used for the league’s Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio. (From Bill Walker)
- There’s some really good-looking color vs. color action in this Nov. 14, 1943, Detroit/Washington game at Griffith Stadium. Sensational footage! (From William Moss)
- Looks like the Stampeders might be changing their facemask color from black to white. (From multiple readers)
- Following up on a ticker item from last week: The Hurricanes were back in their red helmets on the road last night after wearing their white helmets in Vegas and Arizona. (From Gabe Cornwall)
- A U.S. District judge from Virginia has dismissed a lawsuit against Adidas. A fan had sued, arguing that the company’s line of “authentic” jerseys didn’t match the ones that NHL players wear.
- The Kraken are doing a bobblehead giveaway featuring F Brandon Tanev. The sweater on Tanev’s bobblehead includes a Starbucks ad, which only appears on the team’s practice sweaters. At least they nailed Tanev’s facial expression. (From Ted Taylor)
- New mask for Kraken G Philipp Grubauer. (From Wade Heidt)
- Spain: Barcelona has unveiled its own Pantone color – a shade of purple called “Lila Barça.” (From Kary Klismet)
- Uruguay: New home shirts for Defensor Sporting. (Also from Kary)
- Japan: Here are the kit suppliers for every J. League club. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Hawai’i has a FIFA-unrecognized national team, and it just released its new crest.
- England: For the first time ever, the FC United women’s team will have its own away kit. (From Ed Zelaski)
- England: West Ham United’s men’s team marked International Women’s Day by wearing training jackets with their numbers and the NOB of a “special” (the club’s word) woman in their lives. A lot of them apparently picked their mothers. Striker Michail Antonio picked Serena Williams (with FNOB). (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Former Syracuse men’s lacrosse player Mike Powell will have his number retired by the school on Saturday. (From multiple readers)
- There’s a world record for everything, isn’t there? Two Idaho men have broken the Guinness World Record for the fastest jersey swap.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer is asking readers to design a new flag for Philadelphia. (From Greg Szczepanek)