In today’s Ticker: A mono-pastel baseball uniform, a team honors a former great’s birthday with a new jersey, and I learn a new quirk about the New York Rangers’ uniforms.
Uni Watch News Ticker for March 7, 2023
- ESPN probably needs to rethink the color scheme it uses for the Rockies’ online scorebug. (From Ron Ruelle)
- Here’s a good look at all of the uni combos Auburn has worn so far this season. (From Clint Richardson)
- New blue and gray/camo jerseys for West Virginia. (From Kary Klismet)
- East Carolina certainly went bold with their newest uniform — an all-lavender set. (Thanks to all who shared)
- This sensational YouTube video offers an extensive ranking of how realistic the gameplay is in dozens of baseball movies. “So much fantastic uni-porn in this video,” says Ron Ruelle. Definitely worth watching!
- Jags blog Big Cat Country has published a visual history of the team’s uniforms. (From Kary Klismet)
- New uni number assignments for BYU, Texas, Ohio State, and Notre Dame.
- Herbert Hoover High School (West Virginia) will mark the 60th anniversary of its football program with a new helmet design that honors players who played for the team from 2016-2022 — a time when the school building was unusable due to a devastating flood. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Caps will wear one-off “Women in Hockey Night” pregame sweaters on March 23 to mark the 50th anniversary of the passage of Title IX.
- I’m not the biggest hockey fan, but I’ve watched enough through the years to know my way around the sport. So I was surprised when Patrick Karasek emailed yesterday and said that he noticed Rangers players were wearing a black seam on their breezers. I posed Patrick’s question on Twitter, and several helpful readers pointed out that all hockey breezers have that seam — it’s a zipper/velcro combo that gives a player more flexibility and leg movement when getting dressed. As Steven Schapansky noted, it’s just more noticeable on the Rangers’ (and Blue Jackets’) red breezers because most teams wear dark-colored pants.
- The Hamilton Bulldogs of the OHL wore their fan-designed “Your Team Your Jersey” uniform on Sunday in a nice color-on-color matchup. (From Wade Heidt)
- The Tucson Roadrunners have been wearing “El Lazo” alternate uniforms this season, a design that aims to connect the team to its Southern Arizona home. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Rockford IceHogs of the AHL will wear “Screw City” alternates on April 8.
- Arizona’s men’s team has completed the regular season without wearing the new red uniform set the team unveiled in the offseason — and it’s unlikely the team will wear them in the Pac-12 tournament or the NCAA tournament. (From Kary Klismet)
- Continuing its trend of head-scratching execution on framed jersey presentations, Iowa’s men’s team gave its departing players mismatched framed jerseys (one in a long-since-discontinued template) during Sunday’s Senior Day festivities. (From Kary Klismet)
- As we all know, it used to be quite a rarity for teams to wear white on the road. But the 1970-71 Marquette’s men’s squad did it twice in a single season — once on the road against an orange-clad Bowling Green squad, and once at Northwestern. (From Kenny Kaplan)
- This time-lapse video shows stadium workers removing the court from the ACC women’s tournament and installing the men’s court at the Greensboro Coliseum (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- I don’t think I’ve seen the unis that Colorado State mens’ sported in 1989-90, but I dig them. “The side panels on the shirts and shorts give off a Sonics vibe,” says John Fitzgerald.
- Bernalillo High School in New Mexico has named its basketball court after a former coach. (From Kary Klismet)
- NWSL clubs will be included in the FIFA 23 video game starting March 15. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- NWSL Gotham FC had one of their new kit designs leaked as part of that FIFA 23 announcement. The team later confirmed the leak by unveiling the shirt design. (Also from Jamie)
- Another NWSL club, the San Diego Wave, officially unveiled their new kit designs yesterday. (Another one from Jamie Rathjen)
- Staying in San Diego: New kits for San Diego Loyal SC of the USL Championship. (From Kary Klismet)
- New primary and secondary uniforms for the Charleston Battery of the USL Championship.
- Germany: Fortuna Düsseldorf will wear a throwback one-off shirt Saturday to honor Paul Janes, a right-back from the 1930s and ’40s, for his birthday. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- England: Ipswich Town stars Conor Chaplin and Wes Burns wore noise-canceling headphones ahead of their League One match Sunday in support of a pair of fans with autism. (From Kary Klismet)
- George Russell, a driver for the Mercedes Formula 1 team, debuted a bright green helmet design for the first race of the season on Sunday. (From Kary Klismet)
- More F1: As he often does on race weekends in countries with questionable human rights records, Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton wore a rainbow helmet in support of LGBTQ+ rights during Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix. Hamilton wore the helmet without permission of F1’s governing body, the FIA, despite the FIA indicating in the offseason that it would require drivers to seek permission before wearing items that could be considered political statements. (Also from Kary Klismet)
- Three Nebraska law enforcement officers have agreed to pay a fine for improperly appearing in a political campaign ad while in uniform.
- The Army has updated its “Army Star” logo and is bringing back its “Be All You Can Be” ad campaign as part of a celebration of 50 years of being an all-volunteer force. (From Trevor Wilson Patton)
- The Storey County Sheriff’s Department in Nevada has new uniforms for deputies.
New Indy Eleven kits for this season:
MLS should embrace what the rest of the world does and allow teams to sign their own uni deals. USL kits > MLS kits. I also just don’t like Adidas for soccer kits to be fair.
Can’t remember the last time I agreed so much with a comment
I think the look that Colorado State was trying to mimic in 1989 was the Denver Nuggets, which makes sense given the proximity.
I was just about to type that, but I also dig the Nike Air Forces in the pictures, I wore those my freshman year in HS.
Yeah, I don’t see any resemblance to any uniforms the Sonics ever wore, but I’m getting 70s Cavs and 80s Bucks vibes from those unis.
“Rockford IceHogs of the AHL will wear “Screw City” alternates on April 8”
Screw City Alternates are basically an old alternate jersey template of the OHL’s Ottawa 67’s combined with barber pole socks the 67’s are known for with their primary uniforms.
Auburn football should be wearing the socks the softball team is wearing. Those white ones would look great with their unis.
Please stop calling hockey pants “breezers”. They are called pants. Always have been.
No, they were often called ‘breezers’ or ‘breeches’ in the first half of the 20th century. Some still do, especially in Western Canada. Always been hockey pants to me, though.
Generally you’ll see either the opening on the inseam (shut with Velcro or a zipper), or an arched cutout in the back of the pants. It allows a player to put their skates on before the pants – which to be honest, players usually did without any special contrivance like this. Especially beer leaguers like me; if you are carrying a little extra weight, leaning over to tie the skates can cut off respiration, circulation, or both.
The Marquette white uniforms at road games came after the NCAA banned their black with gold horizontal pinstripes as “distracting,” supposedly as opposing players got dizzy when Marquette players jumped and down.
A fun detail with George Russell and Lewis Hamilton: the details on their cars were changed to match their helmets. You can see this in the numbers and the highlights on the wheel covers. Russell has a darker green than Lewis’s neon.
“As we all know, it used to be quite a rarity for teams to wear white on the road.”
It was more common back in the ’70s. The SEC used to play a Saturday-Monday format for conference basketball games, and teams were paired as traveling partners. So they either played Saturday/Monday on the road, or Saturday/Monday at home. Usually, the home team wore white uniforms on Saturday and dark uniforms on Monday, which left the road teams wearing dark uniforms on Saturday and home uniforms on Monday.
If anyone follows that link to the new number assignments for Ohio State football, #95 Casey Magyar is my second cousin.