In today’s Ticker, we’ve got more NHL Pride drama, the coolest MiLB alternate identity in recent memory, and more!
Uni Watch News Ticker for March 24, 2023
- Having previously ranked MLB team names, Philly Voice has now ranked all 30 MLB team logos. (From Kurt Esposito)
- The Eugene Emeralds, High-A affiliates of the Giants, are adopting the coolest alternate identity I can remember when they become the Eugene Exploding Whales, celebrating one of the most bizarre incidents in Oregon history. More details here. (From multiple readers)
- The Omaha Storm Chasers, Triple-A affiliates of the Royals, have some really, really nice “community series” unis coming this year. Probably the best-looking Triple-A uni right now. (From multiple readers)
- The Uwharrie Wampus Cats, an independent summer collegiate team in Albemarle, N.C., are asking for public input on the name of their new mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- Also from Kary, the Hamilton Cardinals of Canada’s amateur Intercounty Baseball League are seeking fan suggestions for the name of their new costumed mascot.
- After revealing their helmet yesterday, the USFL’s Maulers have gone ahead and released their full home and away unis as well. (From Kary Klismet)
- If you’re wondering who the Michigan State men’s team is honoring with its black memorial patch, this article has the answer: No. 5 honors Adreian Payne, who played for the Spartans from 2010-2014 and was killed last year after he and his girlfriend attempted to intervene in another couple’s domestic violence incident. No. 24 honors Stan Washington, an MSU star back in the 1960s, who died at 78 last year. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Panthers went ahead with their Pride Night pregame jerseys yesterday, but two players — brothers Eric and Marc Staal — skipped the pregame skate. They issued a statement saying that wearing a Pride jersey “goes against our Christian beliefs.” All other Florida players wore the jersey, including goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, who is Russian.
- While most of the attention (here at Uni Watch and elsewhere) has been focused on players opting out and teams backtracking on their pregame jersey plans, it’s worth noting that three NHL teams — the Kings, Kraken, and Stars — have all held Pride promotions, including pregame jerseys, without incident or controversy in the past week and a half.
- The Capitals wore some really nice pregame sweaters for Women in Hockey Night last night. (From Mike Givler)
- The new mask for Chicago G Petr Mrazek features 6 Chicago mascots for pro sports teams. (From Wade Heidt and Kary Klismet)
- The Canadiens posted a fun video showing how skates are sharpened. Be sure to turn on captions if you don’t parle français, though. (From Jonathan Goupil)
- New home kits for the Orlando Pride. (From Kary Klismet)
- Sticking with the NWSL, some players are criticizing the poor character models used to depict them in FIFA 23. Sydney Leroux notes that she looked better in a seven-year-old version of the game, and says of her new character model: “You are going to scare my children.”
- Here are the debut home kits for Huntsville City FC of MLS Next Pro. You can tell the designers really broke a sweat coming up with them. (From Dan Michon)
- And sticking in MLS Next Pro, here are the (much nicer) kits for Tacoma Defiance. (From Dustin Stevens)
- Adidas jointly launched the Women’s World Cup away kits for Colombia, Japan, Germany, Spain, Argentina and Sweden yesterday, and they are absolutely incredible. Really, really well done on all accounts. (From Germán Cabrejo)
- Italy: The inner collar of Italian jerseys for yesterday’s Euro 2024 qualifying match against England included an inscription honoring the late Gianluca Vialli, a decorated Italian player who was a coach on the national team from 2019 until his resignation for health reasons in 2022. He was 58. (From Kary Klismet and Kim Kolb)
Gotta say, social issue aside, the Kraken’s design team has been doing an amazing on those specialty jerseys so far :
Nothing like 9 “warmup” jersey options along with the 3 game options to develop a consistent team branding and identity.
Those Capitals jerseys are amazing. And she’s awesome if you know the area and know about her.
I’d love to learn more about what the elements of that logo mean and refer to. I left DC in 2015 and mostly get Caps games via streaming video on mute or occasionally via a radio stream, so I’m in the dark on this.
Here you go my friend :
As if I need even more reasons to dislike the Staals.
Best part was post game when Eric was asked about why he was okay wearing one in Montreal during the 20-21 season, and he denied it (despite there being, y’know, photos and the sweater being raffled off).
Hey Eric and Marc Stall: Let’s keep the CHRIST in CHRISTians.
Not sure if it’s uni-related enough, but how cute is this little guy?
I was hoping the Maulers would keep the gray pants for a bit of continuity since they opted to retain the gray facemask.
After this reveal, I’m reversing that call. Woof.
The jersey template looks somewhat less dated in the new color scheme…the white one turned out really well.
Nice to see my friend Jordyn Listro in the Orlando Pride jersey release photos!
Holy crap, that feature on the exploding whale is really funny. Lucky no one was hurt by falling blubber. Plus, the whole issue of the smell cracked me up. I found it particularly humorous that no gulls remained to eat the remains. As in, duh, the noise alone would scare them off!
Car dealer: Get a whale of a deal!
The exploding whale ranks right up there with Tonya Harding in Oregon history…
Thank you for sharing our Twitter account once again. I always see an uptick in engagement when mentioned on The Watch
De nada. Keep up the great work!
Adidas stripes continue to ruin uniforms. Just do the logo and be done with it. Yes, I know about the 3 stripes, just tired of them.
Philly Voice here is a good idea when rankings things: Start at 30. Not 1.