In today’s Ticker, we’ve got lots and lots of World Baseball Classic news, a hockey Pride jersey worn for a full game and much more!
- Here’s an article on the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers uni history. Unfortunately, the writer thinks tattersall is pinstripes, but otherwise it’s a pretty good piece.
- Did you realize the Baltimore Orioles logo upside down looks like a guy with a long orange beak whistling and looking to the right? (From Jay Cuda)
- Here’s a really nice colorization of a pair of trainers on the 1923 New York Giants, from the great Bruce Menard.
- Another from Bruce: Casey Stengel meeting Britain’s King George V back in 1924.
- Tampa Bay Rays players will wear a specially designed memorial patch on batting helmets throughout the season to honor the life and legacy of longtime radio announcer Dave Wills, who passed away earlier this month.
- Paul is mentioned in this article on the MLB logo, designed by the late Jerry Dior. (From Jeff Wilk)
- Check out this really neat “caricature” letterhead used by the late great Ralph Kiner. (From Timothy Jenkins)
- The Hillsboro Hops will wear some interesting 10th Anniversary uniforms, and they will debut on April 11. (From Tyler Chaudhary)
- WBC: What’s the secret to Team Italy’s bond? It’s gotta be the ‘staches. Speaking of unusual team quirks, it appears Italia opted to add a Nespresso machine to its dugout spread.
- WBC: Trayce Thompson is wearing No. 43 for Great Britain in the WBC in honor of his father, Mychal. (From Texas Trev)
- WBC: I’m sure Anthony will have more on this next weekend, but the Colombian WBC team are wearing lower-case NOB jerseys and snapback caps. (Thanks, Paul) Colombia also has a gold jersey with similar lettering.
- WBC: Great Britain has “simple” uniforms, to say the least.
- WBC: José Quinada of Venezuela had some serious unbuttoning last night. (From Dylan Day)
- WBC: Of course Team USA have both a helmet and sleeve ad for the WBC. (From Nick Zingaro)
- WBC: Interesting attempt at a diacritical mark for Jeremy Peña of the DR. (From Jim Percotti)
- Also from Paul: we have an apostrophe catastrophe at the WBC.
- Speaking of WBC unis, Puerto Rico have an intersting design, which includes the famous architectural wonder of Castillo San Cristóbal.
- Perhaps inspired by the success of their football team, Tennessee baseball debuted new “dark mode” (BFBS) jerseys.
- Nebraska baseball debuted new home white uniforms Friday. (Thanks, Paul)
- The Athletic has taken it upon itself to rank the XFL’s 2023 uniforms.
- McKenzie (Tenn.) High School and Independence High School of Coal City, W. Va., have unveiled their rings for winning state championships last fall. (From Kary Klismet)
- XFL: Color vs. color matchup for the San Antonio Brahmas and Seattle Sea Dragons of the XFL had on Saturday night. (From L. J. Sparvero)
- Here’s a detailed look at all Indigenous warm-up jerseys and designs worn by Canadian NHL teams over the past few seasons.
- The Carolina Hurricanes busted out their Stadium Series unis last evening. (Thanks, Paul)
- New Calgary Flame MacKenzie Weegar still has a Panthers plug in his Alpha LX Pro. (From APENNYFROM:MYTHOUGHTS)
- The Pittsburgh Penguins wore St. Paddy’s Day jerseys for warmups yesterday. Apparently the Russians have no problem with these.
- The Niagara IceDogs have pulled their Indigenous jersey promotion after a backlash from community members who view the jersey as cultural appropriation.
- The WHL’s Lethbridge Hurricanes wore the Your Team Your Jersey design contest winner on Friday. The jersey and socks feature the historic Lethbridge Viaduct depicted along the bottom. A landmark for the city. In addition, Hurricanes G Bryan Thomson had some special pads for the game featuring the Lethbridge Viaduct too. (From Wade Heidt)
- Here is a look at the special First Nations Jerseys worn by the QMJHL’s Acadie-Bathurst Titan on Friday. (Also from Wade)
- With some NHL teams scrapping their “Pride” pre-game warmup jerseys, here’s the Metropolitan Riveters (a professional women’s ice hockey team based in East Rutherford, New Jersey) wearing pride jerseys for an entire game. At the 2:00 mark of the linked video, Madison Packer discusses the importance of these jerseys. (From JS)
- Looks like more than a few of the teams involved in the Nebraska State basketball championships have poached logos from pro teams. (From Mr. Pierson)
- Not to be outdone, a couple girls hoops teams have pilfered both the LA Dodgers and Iowa Hawkeyes logos. (From Lee Wilds)
- Then there’s uni poaching: Valencia, playing in the CIF Division IV boys basketball championship, wears LA Laker-esque uniforms.
- Rockcreek Elementary School in Columbus, Ind., will name its basketbal court after the late Garry Barker, a longtime head coach for the school’s girls’ team and assistant coach for the boys’ team. (From Kary Klismet)
- “I’ve been a NASCAR fan since 1990, and I’ve never seen two different manufacturers’ light decals on one car, which is also missing the front grill manufacturers’ logo decal for some reason,” writes David Firestone.
- John Hunter Nemechek suffered damage prior to the Xfinity Series Race, and, after putting tape on the front, someone wrote Supra on the tape in silver sharpie. (Also from David Firestone)
- Motorcycle helmet manufacturer Bell has released a special design modeled after actor and motorsports icon Steve McQueen’s helmet from the 1964 International Six Days Trial. (From Kary Klismet)
- New unis (and BFBS to boot) for BYU volleyball. (From Jimmer Vilk)
- Here’s why the Google Authenticator logo is different from all of Google’s other logos. (Thanks, Paul)
- Syracuse Lax has retired Mike Powell’s #22 jersey.
- The following EIGHT(!) items are all from Kary Klismet: 1) The new Emerald High School in Dublin, Calif., has unveiled its athletics logo and team name – “Aerouants,” an old Celtic term for “Dragons.”
- 2) Lakes Region Community College in New Hampshire has a new costumed mascot: Winnie the Lakes Monster.
- 3) Here’s a recounting of how the University of Alabama in Huntsville’s sports teams became known as the Chargers.
- 4) The new Highland Springs Middle School in Aiken County, S.C., is asking for public input in choosing a name for its sports teams.
- 5) In honor of Interntational Women’s Day this past Wednesday, the NATO Review put together a “Women in Uniform” slideshow.
- 6) Here’s a story on the evolution and meaning of the Adidas logo.
- 7) The Boxing Federation of India has unveiled a costumed mascot — a cheetah named Veera — for the IBA Women’s World Championships to be held in Delhi starting this week.
- 8) New uniforms for the Glenville State University police department.