In today’s Ticker: New logos for an NBA team, some over-the-top college uni concepts, and more.
- Pirates P David Bednar had a pregame jersey swap last night with Damar Hamlin of the NFL’s Buffalo Bills. Hamlin is from the Pittsburgh area and played college football at Pitt, so that’s the connection. (From our own Jerry Wolper)
- Mets OF/DH Tommy Pham is using an apple-themed bat knob decal. Further investigation reveals that this same motif is used for many of the team’s bats. (From Steve Dodell)
- The Binghamton Rumble Ponies, affiliate of the Mets, are commemorating Bobby Bonilla Day on July 1. Even though Bonilla retired in 2001, he is still entitled to a $1.19 million check from the Mets on July 1 every year until 2035. (From Jeffrey Smith)
- Former MLBer Daniel Murphy, who’s now attempting a comeback with the Angels-affiliated Triple-A Salt Lake Bees, used to wear batting gloves but is hitting bare-handed these days.
- SlamBall, a full-contact basketball league played on trampolines, has released its team names and logos for this season. Scroll down on the thread to see all eight. (From multiple readers)
- New first uniform for Scottish club St. Mirren. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Also from Jamie: A survey of 350 players at 16 European women’s top-tier clubs found that 82% felt that they suffered “discomfort which could affect their performance” from the boots they wear.
- Remember the controversy over rainbow-striped captaincy armbands at the recent Men’s World Cup? FIFA now says it may allow the rainbow armbands for the upcoming Women’s World Cup.
- Take a look at these intentionally over-the-top Auburn athletics uniform concepts. Looks like one of them was made by a Florida fan who is a bit of a troll. (From Clint Richardson)
- The owner of the NBA’s Washington Wizards, the WNBA’s Washington Mystics, and the NHL’s Washington Capitals is looking for a new arena deal.
- Imperial Valley College in California has selected “Desert Warriors” as its new team name after retiring its old name, “Arabs,” in 2021. (From Kary Klismet)
- Liverpool High School in New York has announced that it intends to keep “Warriors” as its team name while retiring the Native American imagery previously associated with it. (Also from Kary)