Today on the Ticker: More Field of Dreams news, an extreme NFL helmet mockup, and more.
- Last night was Marlins P Eury Pérez’s first start wearing the club’s home whites. Perez has already worn all the club’s other uniforms.
- Paul reported last week that the Giants and Cardinals would play in next year’s Field of Dreams game, and that it would probably be at Rickwood Field in Birmingham. Yesterday, MLB made that official.
- The ban on the shift has resulted in less wear and tear on MLB grass. That article is full of interesting groundskeeping info.
- Here’s the story about how Lizard Skins, an equipment company, came to dominate the bat grip world. (From John Flory)
- The Rangers are the only MLB team that doesn’t have a Pride Night promotion, and quite a few team employees aren’t happy about that.
- Monday’s Ticker noted that the Giants would be adding a “Humm Baby!” sign on their outfield wall as a memorial to former manager Roger Craig. Here’s how it looks. (From @Frankie__Doodle)
- Apparently, only the front two eyelets of the University of Tennessee’s caps are stitched in orange, while the rest of the eyelets are not. (From @HawkeyeOnAir)
- Here are the NPB All-Star Game balls for the Nagoya (blue) and Hiroshima (red) games. “Yes, Japan does two games in two different stadiums,” explains Jeremy Brahm.
- A German graphic designer mocked up a helmet with logos from all nine of the teams QB Ryan Fitzpatrick played for in his career. (From @MDMambo)
- Here’s a first look at Houston’s home unis and home field with the Big 12 logo. Houston will officially leave its current conference, the American Athletic Conference, to join the Big 12 next month. (From Ignacio Salazar)
- Reader Steve Curry found a collection of 1928-30 Stanford football tickets in his grandmother’s scrapbook. There’s also a ticket from a Veterans Day 1930 Army/Navy game that says it was played at the home of Cal. According to records, though, the 1930 game was played in New York in December. Why the discrepancy? According to @FoFStrife, this California-based 1930 Army/Navy game involved active duty servicemen stationed on the West Coast.
- New uniforms for Western Kentucky. (Thanks, Phil)
- The Rangers introduced new head coach Peter Laviolette with a No. 39 sweater — the number he wore during his playing career with the team. (From @fullgrownnut)
- England: Arsenal has suspended sales of its 2023/24 shirt due to a design error by Adidas. (From Antonio Losada)
- Ireland’s new rugby union shirt was spotted on a fashion runway. (From @bryanwdc)