Today in the ticker, we’ve got the German men’s national soccer team changing its nickname, new UVA helmets, and Black Panther in Worcester.
- Here is the updated Mets uni tracker. Clearly, they should drop the BFBS uni from their rotation, as they have the worst record with it. (From Gregg Girard)
- The Blue Jays are set to renovate their ballpark, which will include realigning the outfield walls and reducing foul territory. (From Mike Chamernik)
- A Reddit user has figured out how many players wore each number in MLB history. The most common is 22, worn by a staggering 902 players. The least common are 93, 97 and 98, worn by only two players each so far. (From Mike Chamernik)
- During last night’s Yankees/Royals game, YES’s scorebug had switched out the colors of the scores for the two teams, using navy to indicate the Royals and royal to indicate the Yankees. They fixed it in the second inning. (From our own John Ekdahl)
- New Yankees outfielder Andrew Benintendi is wearing No. 18. The 16 he wore in Kansas City and Boston is retired for Whitey Ford.
- Astros SS Jeremy Peña wore the team’s orange alternate jersey but their City Connect cap in a local TV spot.
- Brewers OF Christian Yelich’s grandfather is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame for coming up with the ram horn helmet design for the Rams! (From Johnny Garfield)
- The Worcester Red Sox will wear Black Panther jerseys as part of MiLB and Marvel’s “Defenders of the Diamond” promotion. (Thanks, Phil)
- The Congressional Baseball Game was last night, and the GOP once again went with matching uniforms rather than each player wearing a uniform from their home state. The Dems maintained that tradition, however. Also note, while Rep. Kat Cammack in the first picture was going FNOB, other Republicans stuck with the traditional NOB.
- Milwaukee Brewers OF Christian Yelich’s grandfather is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame for coming up with the ram horn helmet design for the Rams! (From Johnny Garfield)
- Virginia has updated its helmets, going for a more retro look on their blues and dropping the side numbers on their whites. (Thanks, Jamie)
- England: Manchester United have revealed the numbers new signings Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martínez will wear: 14 and 6, respectively.
- Wales: Newport County, a Welsh team that plays in England’s men’s fourth tier, have unveiled their new away kit. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Germany: The German men’s national team no longer wants to be called “Die Mannschaft” (article in German), its nickname in German.
- Spain: The new Atlético Madrid kit is the worst-selling (article in Spanish) for the club thus far. The article mentions how, since a crest redesign in 2017, merchandise sales have been falling even as they’ve performed well on the pitch.