In today’s Ticker: a rugby kit protest in Australia, some vintage Turn Ahead The Clock Night pregame footage, and more!
- Here’s some excellent pregame footage from the Mets’ TATC night, 24 years ago yesterday. (From Peter Hausler)
- Here’s some footage of Brewers OF Jeffrey Leonard wearing No. 00 way back in 1988! (From Brian Walter)
- The A’s new stadium in Las Vegas apparently won’t look much like the renderings that were recently released. Key passage from that article: “It’s long been common knowledge … that initial stadium and arena renderings frequently have marked differences from their finished versions. Early drawings are often used to generate public excitement and win political support and public dollars.” What a racket.
- Hagerstown, Md.’s new franchise in the independent Atlantic League will be known as the Flying Boxcars, in tribute to the World War II-era Fairchild cargo planes built in the city. (From Kary Klismet)
- USL Championship side New Mexico United have signed a lifetime deal with an arts collective for the front-of-shirt advertisement. (From David Weise-Carl)
- Croatia: NK Osijek of the top-level HNL has opened its new stadium. (From Kary Klismet)
- Denmark: FC Copenhagen is the latest club to ban fans from bringing in signs asking for players’ jerseys.
- Perú: Club Universitario de Deportes have unveiled a 99th anniversary kit, with the crest depicted with a safety pin as a nod to how the club’s badges were affixed in 1924. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Scotland: New third kit for Heart of Midlothian of the Scottish Premiership, inspired by the club’s very first kit in honor of its 150th anniversary. Get a load of those gorgeous socks! Also, note that keeper Craig Gordon is modeling it — the kit is a throwback to a time when keepers wore the same kits as outfielders, though McGregor will have to wear a keeper’s strip when the kit makes its on-field debut. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- Scotland: New second shirt for Dundee United of the Scottish Women’s Premier League/men’s Championship. (Thanks, Jamie)
- Players in Australia’s National Rugby League and National Rugby League Women will be covering up the league logos on their kits as negotiations over a new CBA enter their 21st month. (From James Tiberius)
- New jerseys for Athletes Unlimited’s lacrosse league. (Thanks, Jamie)
- This video of antique pencil-sharpening gadgets is completely fascinating. (From Jason Hillyer)
- New packaging and logo for Jell-O. (From John Cerone)
- The consummate gift for any sneakerhead or Apple fan: These 33-year-old Apple sneakers can be yours for a cool $50,000. (From John Cerone)
- Maine’s forthcoming flag referendum has been pushed from Nov. 2023 to Nov. 2024. Turnout will certainly be higher in a presidential year than an off-year, but I want to get the new flag flying as soon as possible.