All the sports uniform news that’s fit to tick. Ellipses-free since July 2022!
- Phil Gosselin was a part of the Braves organization before the All-Star break, was designated for assignment, and was picked up by the Angels. Obviously they couldn’t get him an elbow guard in time as he’s still using his Braves issued one. (from Tim Phillips)
- Here’s a look at the 2023 Seattle All-Star game logo. And a lot more information about said logo .(second item from Jake Kline).
- Speaking of All-Star game logos, our pal Chris Creamer has put together a nice video showing 60 years of ASG logos.
- The great Jon Springer (of “Mets By The Numbers”) has penned a pretty excellent post on, well, Mets numbers.
- Kary Klismet writes, “Back in April 2020, I shared a Ticker item showing the home plate painted in the parking lot of the Denver Broncos’ stadium to commemorate where home plate used to stand in old Mile High Stadium. It was looking a little faded back then, and I just noticed that it’s recently been repainted. But whoever did it changed the orientation of home plate, so it’s now facing the wrong direction from how it faced historically.”
- The Shazam 2 trailer dropped yesterday, with some dragon thing tearing up Phillies Citizens Bank Park. (from Michael MHP)
- Yankees 2B Matt Carpenter spends 30 min before every game walking the field barefoot, as a way to ground himself. (from Mike Chamernik)
- Here’s a fun story about Larry Bowa back in the days of plastic grass and polyester uniforms.
- Ron Ruelle “enjoyed this baseball logo quiz video more than I should have.”
- Check out HP Ump Steven Hodgins 7/22/22 Southern League AA game Pensacola vs Biloxi. “I haven’t noticed both MLB and MiLB logos stacked on an umpires Skull Cap before” says Mike Krebs.
- The Woo Sox announced that they’ll be doing two “What if?” Nights next year featuring the Worcester Ruby Legs and the Worcester Wicked Worms. They unveiled the logos on the scoreboard during the game. (from Samuel Scobie)
- The minor league Boise Hawks (independent Pioneer League) already have a food-based alternate identity (Papas Fritas), but now they’re adding a second that is very transparently just an ad for a fast-food restaurant. (from Brett Thomas)
- This year, the Wenatchee AppleSox are rolling out a new commemorative jersey design in honor of the Wenatchi (a local Indian tribe) and the 85th anniversary of their own team’s founding.
- The Spokane Indians, the High-A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies, have a new costumed mascot: KC the KC-135 Stratotanker. (from Kary Klismet)
- The Las Vegas Aviators have um, a LOT of alternate jerseys.
- If you hate MLB’s “City Connect” uniforms, you might just be grateful no American (or Canadian) team has gone the route of Japan’s Seibu Lions. (from Jeremy Brahm)
- The Cincinnati Bengals may have unveiled their new white tiger stripe helmet on Friday, but the Grandview Zebras have been rocking the Bengals alternates for a while now. (from Chris Mycoskie)
- In case you’re interested, here’s another set of uniform concepts for all 32 NFL teams.
- The standard football field has 385 stripes, and 83 percent of those stripes are due to John Lockney, football’s forgotten man. Here’s a great article remembering him. (from Football Archaeology)
- HAH! “paralaxg75” writes, “Clicked a link to a CBS article about the new secondary helmets. I don’t know if it does this for everyone, but the Twitter embed blocks showing the Jets helmet (every other embed displayed fine). “Potentially sensitive content” pretty much sums it up.”
- Here’s how the New York Football Giants 80s/90s throwbacks went from concept to reality.
- Here’s a somewhat brief history of the San Francisco 49ers logo.
- “My Dad is an avid collector of WLAF memorabilia, he recently bought an old playbook. Attached is a photo of the travelling dress code page,” says Rich Hindle.
- Wright State University’s men’s team unveiled their 2021-22 Horizon League championship rings. (from Kary Klismet)
- There’s a house on the market in Wilkinson, Ind., converted from an old high school gym, complete with old basketball floor still intact. (from Kary Klismet)
- The Meridian (Miss.) High School girls’ team and the Elk Grove (Calif.) High School boy’s team have received rings for winning championships in their respective states. (from Kary Klismet)
- The Vancouver Whitecaps unveiled a special Pride logo for Saturday’s match against the Chicago Fire. (from Kary Klismet)
- From Japan: Nagoya Grampus (a Japanese association football club that plays in the J1 League, following promotion from the J2 League in 2017) have released the uniform of the 30th Anniversary of the clubs establishment in 1992. Also note the special emblem has an interlocking NG and the team’s Grampus whale is on the upper right corner. (from Jeremy Brahm)
- Some teams won’t have kits in time for the start of the 2022-23 season. (from Jeremy Brahm)
- From UK: As a send off to honor club legend Dennis Bergkamp’s retirement, Arsenal hosted a preseason friendly game against Ajax (his first professional club) where both teams and all the fans had shirts featuring a silhouette of Bergkamp. Here’s some video. (from Derek Linn)
- From England: One of the stadiums used for the Women’s Euro 2022 is “New York Stadium” in Rotherham, England. “Its name was inspired by the company which previously occupied the site for nearly 150 years, which famously made red fire hydrants for New York City.” (from Texas Trev)
- From England: New kits for Tranmere Rovers. (from Kary Klismet)
- From England: New home and away kits for Oxford United. (from Kary Klismet)
- From England: New home kits for Luton Town. (from Kary Klismet)
- From England: New away kits for Brentford. (from Kary Klismet)
- New away kit for Portugal. (from Mike D)
- From Portugal: New kits for Estoril. (from Kary Klismet).
- From Czech Republic: New kits for FK Jablonec. (from Kary Klismet)
- From Russia: New home kits for Lokomotiv Moscow. (from Kary Klismet)
- From Spain: New kits for Albacete Balompié. (from Kary Klismet)
- Ever wondered how a kit goes from concept to club shop? Wonder no more. (thanks Paul)
- “On the topic of high schools beating the rush to drop their Confederate references,” writes Max Law, “here’s a story from 2015, recounting a 1980s version for Great Neck South High School on Long Island.”
- This story does a deep dive on the tower at Hayward Field, the University of Oregon’s track & field venue currently hosting the 2022 World Athletics Championships. (from Kary Klismet)
- In Oregon, Adidas and Puma have taken over university fraternities for the track and field World Championships. (from Tom Turner)
- NASA-branded clothes are apparently all the rage now. (from Brinke)