Today on the Ticker: A bunch of new shirts for English soccer clubs, a cute drawing from one of our readers’ daughters, and a less-than-cute drawing from an NFL rookie.
Uni Watch News Ticker for July 20, 2022
- Reader Steve Sher’s daughter drew the logo history of the Angels.
- The wordmark on Florida International University football’s helmet rear bumper looks awfully similar to the Padres’ former wordmark. (From Colton Denning)
- Brooklyn Cyclones jerseys colored by local children will be auctioned off to support local YMCAs.
- Bears WR Velus Jones Jr. was asked to draw his team’s logo. Here’s how he did.
- New helmets for Nevada.
- Cross-listed from the baseball section: The wordmark on Florida International University football’s helmet rear bumper looks awfully similar to the Padres’ former wordmark. (From Colton Denning)
- Judge Joy Reynolds, one of Baylor’s live bear mascots, has died. (From Kary Klismet)
- Also from Kary: This columnist is begging schools to not sell their stadium names.
- The Panthers are adding their current helmet ad to their away helmets this season. Last season the ad only appeared on the home helmet, while the away helmet had the team’s secondary logo. (From Will Shoken)
- Avalanche D Jack Johnson celebrated his day with the Stanley Cup by serving ice cream in it to his kids. (From Kary Klismet)
- The company that owns Shaquille O’Neal’s trademark has started a legal battle against the trademark company representing Shaq’s son, Shaqir O’Neal, saying the two names are “confusingly similar.” (From Trevor Williams)
- New numbers for Iowa men’s. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
- New gym floor for Austintown Fitch High School in Ohio. (From Kary Klismet)
- England: New away shirts for Manchester City. (From Ed Zelaski)
- Staying in England: New goalkeeper kits for Manchester United. (From Kary Klismet).
- France: New away kits for Paris Saint-Germain. (Also from Kary)
- Italy: New kit for Lazio. (One more from Kary Klismet)
- IndyCar driver Colton Herta has blamed his disappointing showing in last Sunday’s Grand Prix of Toronto on his long hair and a broken hair sock. (From Kary Klismet)
- Some interesting cycling/Tour de France tidbits: Traditionally, riders who draw No. 13 wear their bib number upside-down for superstitious reasons. But this year the bib number printers have anticipated this and printed the bib number with the ads right-side up and the number alone upside-down. Because of course the ad companies did. (From David Barndollar)
- Here’s what airline cabin crew members think about the new trend toward more casual uniforms.
- In a related item, some cabin crew members on flights have been taking off their uniforms when not in the air because they feel threatened by passengers while wearing them.
- The U.S. Coast Guard will allow looser tattoo rules on a case-by-case basis. (From Timmy Donahue)
- The U.S. military is developing uniforms with built-in bug spray to repel disease-carrying mosquitoes.
- The Kentucky State Police have a new costumed mascot, and they want the public’s help in giving it a name. (From Kary Klismet)
- Printing website Redbubble will have to pay more than $78,000 to the Hells Angels for selling items using their logo without their permission.
- White Castle will debut glow-in-the-dark packaging. (From John Cerone)
- Quidditch, the sport from the Harry Potter franchise, will now be called quadball in North America, and soon internationally. The move comes after efforts from the sport’s community to distance itself from Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling after her repeated anti-trans remarks. “Quidditch” is also trademarked. (From our own Jamie Rathjen)
Is anyone else noticing that Tickers aren’t showing up on the homepage?
Yes they are. Scroll down to the bottom.
Check your link. Mine automatically goes to “Posts” and I have to select the Ticker.
You could also click on Posts in the navigation and get a drop-down and select Tickers.
i agree that the Ticker is now very hard to notice. i believe others have suggested this as well… but i would just imbed the daily ticker post among all of the other posts as they are published each day. to me it doesn’t really make sense to have them in their own section buried at the bottom of the page.
I agree with Joe P.
How about this for a compromise? A link to the day’s Ticker at the bottom of the lede, and still keep Tickers under their own section on the main page? While I am still getting used to the day’s content being broken up (Paul pointed out lots of good reasons for having it this way, so I’m just going to force myself to like it), I do find the new format of the Ticker to be a huge improvement, and probably my favorite improvement so far. Also, this is my first time looking at the new site on a mobile device, and that is a definite improvement overall. Great job Paul and team!
Works just fine for me, scrolled to the bottom, links were there and they worked.
Just a thought: when linking to new soccer/football unis/kits (lotta slashes there), could you use footballshirtculture[dot]com? footyheadlines is behind a subscribe wall. Also footballshirtculture lets you rate the new kits! Super fun.
As a daily visitor to footyheadlines, I’m the first to point out its issues. However, being behind a subscription wall isn’t one of them…because it’s not.
I don’t have a subscription to Footy Headlines and I am able to get what appears to be all of their content with no problem. Certainly the kit articles I send in for Ticker consideration are never behind a paywall because I can access them with no problem.
All that said, I’m willing to take a look at Football Shirt Culture as a source for future Ticker submissions. I have no specific attachment to Footy Headlines (I appreciate what they do in compiling tons of information, but I think the site has its flaws). If the articles on Football Shirt Culture are similarly timely, I might try to incorporate them into the mix.
I find the problem with Footy Headlines is they are rather pro-Nike and anti-others (especially Adidas) so you can get quite a biased view in their articles. I also prefer Football Shirt Culture, but I still read both.
Those Angels logos are delightful!
“They don’t have a bear on their helmets. That’s a good idea though.” – Velus Jones, Jr.
LOVING these bullet points and more granular lists by sport. Thank you!
Funny thing about the number 13 this year is he had to abandon the race after a crash a few days ago, so not really funny per se but unfortunate given the upside 13 was meant to ward off bad luck
Suggestion, could Tickers have its own tab in Navigation instead of a drop down in Posts?
Just feels like it is getting lost in there. You either have to find it there (when many might not know to look in the Posts dropdown) or scroll to the bottom of the page which isn’t the best user experience for new content. Especially on Mobile.
Working on it. Thanks for the feedback!
The Ticker doesn’t show up in the homepage feed for me, either. It’s just the regular posts. I’ve been able to find it easily enough under the Posts tab, but as a frequent Ticker contributor, I’d obviously love to see that feature made more prominent in the daily disbursement of content. I agree that giving The Ticker its own tab would be a great idea. And I’d still like to see it appear in the homepage feed whenever it comes out each day, along with the rest of the posts.
Love using the Stanley Cup as a bowl for an Ice Cream Sundae. Takes me back to my days scooping Ice Cream for Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor and running around with a silver bowl full of Ice Cream, called “The Zoo”.
The Quidditch story is what Sports Illustrated used to call “The most recent sign of the apocalypse.”
So what’s the issue about wanting to separate from someone causing harm?
I think it’s more the problem that people tried to take a sport based on witches’ brooms seriously in the first place.
Shaquille vs Shaqir – total facepalm. Oh the humanity!