Here it is: My first standalone Ticker on the new site format! Excuse any errant ellipses — it’s a tough habit to break. Scroll down for more on LaMelo’s new number, some rare Pro Bull Riding news and the shortest baseball pants I have ever seen.
Uni Watch News Ticker for July 19, 2022
- This blog implies that there has been a last-minute change with the All-Star Game baseballs (from Eric Abneri).
- Speaking of the All-Star Game, this year’s Midsummer Classic in Los Angeles is a good excuse to bring out this old photo of top Dodgers’ brass in front of a pre-construction model of Dodger Stadium (from Kary Klismet).
- At the All-Star break, it appears that the Padres are playing best when they wear white and their road pinstripes. They’re also undefeated in their City Connect uniforms, albeit in a very small sample size (from @SDPUniTracker).
- Baseball’s biker shorts revolution has been going on for a few seasons, but I don’t think I’ve seen a player wear pants shorter than those worn by a pitcher for the Battle Creek Battle Jacks of the independent Northwoods League (from Matt Talbot).
- The Sussex County Miners of the independent Frontier League will wear Star Wars jerseys on Saturday (from John Cerone).
- Also from John: The Jersey Shore Blue Claws, the High-A affiliate of the Phillies, will wear Thor-inspired uniforms on Saturday.
- The iconic ketchup bottles at the Steelers’ stadium came down yesterday as the team works to redesign the building with signage of its new corporate advertiser (from our own Anthony Emerson).
- New number assignments for North Carolina (from James Gilbert).
- This blog recalls Indiana’s best and worst uniforms over the past 10 years (from Terry Mark).
- The SEC posted a strange teaser yesterday ahead of football media days that included a BFBS cap (from @BurnerGSmith).
- Florida QB Anthony Richardson, who’s been nicknamed “AR-15” because of his initials and uni number, has asked that people stop calling him that because he doesn’t want to be associated with mass shootings.
- The Capitals have announced new number assignments for the upcoming season (from our own Jamie Rathjen).
- USA Today has ranked the NHL’s costumed mascots (from Kary Klismet).
- Hornets G LaMelo Ball is switching uni numbers from No. 2 to No. 1 (thanks to all who shared).
- An Argentine steakhouse located in Amsterdam is poaching the Bulls’ logo (from @WetherbeeScott).
- As Summer League Champions, the Trail Blazers have been presented with championship rings (from Kary Klismet).
- The Fraser Valley Bandits of the Canadian Elite Basketball League wore Star Wars uniforms during their game on Sunday (from Wade Heidt).
- New floor design for Crookston High School in Minnesota (from Kary Klismet).
- Spain: New second shirt for Real Betis (from @jameswelham).
- Greece: New kits for PAOK (from Ed Zelaski).
- England: New kits for Preston North End and Hull City (also from Ed Zelaski).
- At least one of the editions of FIFA 23, the newest version of the popular video game slated for release in a few weeks, will feature a woman on the cover for the first time in the game’s history. Striker Sam Kerr will also wear a Chelsea kit on the cover, heavily implying that the game will feature women’s club teams for the first time ever (from our own Jamie Rathjen).
- This Wall Street Journal piece examines how the number of record-breaking times in the 800 to the 10,000 meters has skyrocketed thanks to innovations in track spike design (from Tom Turner).
- Pro Bull Riding is introducing a team element into the sport for the upcoming season and has unveiled new logos and rider uniforms (from Luke Meredith).
- Until yesterday, I had never heard of these butterflies that wear uniform numbers! The patterns on the Diaethria neglecta’s wings look like they’re wearing No. 88, 89, 98 or 99 — so, wide receivers, tight ends or defensive linemen?
- The Premier Lacrosse League held its All Star Game over the weekend, with two teams facing off in inverse black and yellow uniforms (from @PhillyPartTwo).
- This piece explores the recent trend of more casual uniforms for flight attendants, and how cabin crews really feel about the changes (from Kary Klismet).
Iḿ fine with the biker shorts thing in baseball, but that is an abomination.
W. T. F.
He looks like he’s ready to wade into the river and do a little fishing.
Who knew the 1976 White Sox were ahead of their time?
If you’re going to look at Dodger Stadium history, you gotta look at this, too. link
Wonder what is going to happen to the ketchup bottle? That sort of thing can typically be auctioned off for a decent amount.
It’s so strange to think of Dodger Stadium as a “classic” on par with Wrigley and Fenway, but it really has stood the test of time. It has completely outlived the concrete Astroturf multipurpose generic donut phase of MLB stadium design, and fits in quite nicely with the retro design ethos of today. The only thing missing is the neighborhood beyond the outfield (or the contrived “village” of today) but seeing the cars in the parking lot beyond the bleachers always reminds me of Gibson’s HR, and the brake lights in the distance as Vin Scully announces “the impossible.”
I know you weren’t the biggest fan of changing the dot dot dot style of the ticker, but I will say this way is far easier to scan quickly. I’m liking it!
Youppi! is the EIGHTH best NHL mascot on that USA Today list?
What an outrage!
The BlueClaws’ Thor jerseys will be worn on Friday. Saturday is BruceClaws night (Springsteen-inspired jerseys).
Does anyone know why the players wear the uniforms in the biker short style? I can understand why NFL kickers like Atlanta’s kicker Younghoe Koo might wear that style because they come from a soccer background and maybe it feels more natural/comfortable to them? The MLB case feels more like a look-at-me thing on a par with wearing your school uniform tie with a really short fat knot and the long part hanging down at the back :)
I just wanna know if those are tights or reallllllllly long socks.
“ At least one of the editions of FIFA 23, the newest version of the popular video game slated for release in a few weeks, will feature a woman on the cover for the first time in the game’s history. Striker Sam Kerr will also wear a Chelsea kit on the cover, heavily implying that the game will feature women’s club teams for the first time ever.”
While this would be first time women’s club teams would be featured in the game, it’s not the first time a woman has been on the cover. Alex Morgan (in USWNT kit) adorned the cover of FIFA 16 alongside Leo Messi. That was the first year women’s international teams were featured.