In today’s ticker, we have lots of not so great (and one first time) looks for today’s NFL games, a bunch of college basketball teams broke out throwbacks, and more!
- This story about Jack Wadsworth, a pitcher from the 1890s who used ventriloquism to get opposing batters thrown out of games, seems sufficiently uni-adjacent for Ticker readers to enjoy. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Rocket City Trash Pandas, the Angels’ Double-A affiliate, have new alternates they’re calling “Halo Blues”. (From Kary Klismet)
- Sinton (Tex.) High School received rings and unveiled an updated banner to commemorate winning the 2022 state championship. (From Kary Klismet)
- The New Orleans Saints will break out a never-before-worn combo* of gold/black/white today, possibly qualifying this as their worst ever combo. The white, stripeless pants (undoubtedly paired with white socks/sleeves/compression pants) have no place on a football field, much less being combined with a uniform that otherwise has almost no white. Their all-white uniform, plain as it is, at least makes sense. *Technically, the Saints have gone black over white before (1975-1985), but those white pants had stripes, much like their throwbacks currently do, which actually look like football pants.
- On the gridiron today, the Chicago Bears will go mono-midnight against the Minnesota Vikings today.
- According to the GUD, the East Rutherford Jets will (again) go green/white/black vs. the Miami Dolphins, who will counter with aqua shirts and pants. For those keeping score at home, the Jets will have worn that G/W/B combo EIGHT times this season, while wearing their green jerseys a grand total of ONE game. In addition to the eight times going G/W/B, the Jets also wore their mono-black uniforms thrice. Gang Green wore green jerseys once (going mono-green) and their green pants one other time (pairing them with white shirts). Has any team ever NOT worn their primary home/road uniforms so few times in a season?
- The Washington Commanders will wear white at home today, forcing the Cowboys to wear their blue/silver combo.
- The Philadelphia Eagles will again go mono-black (including helmet) as they seek to lock up the #1 playoff spot in the NFC against the New York Giants today.
- The Detroit Lions will be going silver/white/white vs. Green Bay tonight.
- Here’s a look at what some of the NFL teams are being encouraged to do (no one but the Bills are doing a uni treatment) to support injured Buffalo Bill Damar Hamlin.
- Here’s a good look at the red outline of the 3 in the 30 in honor of Damar Hamlin from last night’s Jaguars/Titans game (from John Turney).
- In honor of Damar Hamlin, the broadcast crew has turned the ESPN mic flags from an E to a 3. (Thanks, Paul)
- SB Nation has created mascots for every NFL team that doesn’t have one. (From Kary Klismet)
- For some reason, ESPN remains insistent that the Raiders have a black facemask. (From bteuf)
- In last night’s KC/LV Raiders game, Josh McDaniels wore a Raiders visor from 2019 with the NFL100 logo on it. (From RobEdigital)
- In case you never noticed, da Raidahs actually have black trim around their silver numbers … on a black jersey. (From John Turney). As Paul reminds us, they’ve had this since 2016.
- Here are the cleats JJ Watt will wear in his final game.
- Here’s a look at the jerseys the Georgia Bulldogs will wear for the Natty on Monday night against TCU.
- Because we all need another list: here’s the “Top 75” NCAA helmets.
- Adidas has unveiled uniforms for the All-American Bowl.
- Pittsburgh Panthers head coach Pat Narduzzi thinks college QBs should have speakers in their helmets (like the NFL), but would want a rule in place that states the ball can’t be snapped before there are 25 seconds left on the play clock (except under two minutes).
- Here’s a ranking of the top 12 uniform combinations worn by the Utah Utes in 2022.
- Here’s the story of a Nebraska couple who hand-painted the helmets Utah wore for the Rose Bowl. (From Kary Klismet)
- Want to know how TCU became known as the Horned Frogs? This video feature tells you. (From Kary)
- Goodyear has donated a sculpture of Tulane’s Green Wave mascot made out of tires to the school as a keepsake of its Cotton Bowl victory. (From Kary again)
- The United Firepower, the newest arena football team from Winston-Salem, have unveiled new uniforms for their forthcoming season.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs wore special indigenous-themed jerseys in warm ups last night. Here’s another look.
- For the first time in his career, the Dallas Stars’ Jani Hakanpää had the correct Finnish spelling of his name on his NHL jersey with umlauts over the last two letters.
- With the Vegas Golden Knights playing the Seattle Kraken in next year’s Winter Classic game, The Athletic ponders what their jerseys will look like.
- Kraken forward Matty Beniers was looking stylish at practice on Friday after losing the World Juniors bet to teammate Jordan Eberle. Going throwback too. Wearing a late 1990s Team Canada jersey. (From Wade Heidt)
- A tweeter named Quinncer “Attended the UMaine hockey game (Friday) night. Goalie for Alaska Anchorage Seawolves wearing a St. Cloud State University goalie mask.”
- The Kentucky Wildcats wore their 1993 throwbacks yesterday against Alabama.
- Speaking of throwbacks, the Minnesota Golden Gophers were commemorating the past on “Alumni Day” by throwing their jerseys back to the 1970’s yesterday. Here’s how they looked on court. (From Erick Kriewaldt)
- More throwbacks: UNC went retro yesterday.
- McNeese State has renamed its court after alumnus and Basketball Hall of Famer Joe Dumars. (From Kary Klismet)
- The Kansas men’s team has two new home alternates. (Also from Kary)
- Interesting contrasting back pocket (!) color contrast for a Japanese volleyball squad. (From Jeremy Brahm)
- Jeremy also observes, “First time I’ve ever seen a Japanese high school coach with advertising on their coaching gear, outside of the traditional team supplier in any sport. Sundai in the Japanese boy’s volleyball title match.”
- Here’s a look at the uniforms the ballkids will wear at the Australian Open.
- Here’s a look at what one author identifies as the eight most unusual venues to host NASCAR races. (From Kary Klismet)
- Here are some pretty interesting Rugby Americas North logos. (From Rugby World)
- British Airways have unveiled their first new uniforms in 20 years. Here’s how British Airways uniforms have evolved over a century-plus of aviation.
- Tuscola High School in North Carolina is holding a contest to redesign its athletics logo after losing a legal battle with Appalachian State over the use of its Mountaineer mascot. (From Kary Klismet)
- Interested in the history of superhero logos? This website features origin stories for several comic book characters’ visual symbols, which can be accessed here. (From Kary Klismet)